New ES-335 Help - Crack in Wood?

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

I just need some real quick help in identifying the issue.

A proper NGD post to come (hopefully), but I have me a brand new ES-335 from the production line. A dream guitar of sorts, and this particular one and I have begun bonding despite a concerning "crack" (split? gouge? scratch? I don't know) on the bass side of the body near the binding. The thing came brand new with this, and I don't think I can feel it, which leads me to believe it is beneath the clear coat -- there is a slight raise, but I think that's the binding being a bit taller.

In any event, I just need to know if this is anything to worry about structurally. If it's sheer aesthetics, I don't give a rat's ass. In fact, it'll just make it so I don't have to baby the damn thing until one of my kids inevitably "welcomes her to the family" by smashing some toy into the top. My guy at the dealer from whom I purchased it said I can get some money back my way if I decide to keep it, which is why I'm turning to your expertise. I'd love to keep this, but if the damage is going to worsen with time, or if it compromises the integrity of the wood in any way, I can't justify keeping it.

TLDR: how bad is this? Is it simply cosmetic, or is there something to worry about here? I can grab more pics if necessary. Thanks in advance everyone, and I hope you enjoy your holiday!

9E31504D-E042-4025-8F11-A389FFD0C7BD.jpeg
901D152E-274D-46A9-9BF1-81F4587F00EB.jpeg

LP1865

Reaction score
Get some money and keep the guitar!!
Also, HNGD and more:photos:

mdubya

Reaction score
It is a lacquer crack at best. I would get on with it if the guitar is any good. Not everyone feels that way. JMHO.

Someone that knows what they are doing could probably make that disappear in about a minute or two.

Reaction score
Thanks, fellas!

@mdubya, I'm fully with you -- I couldn't care less about the cosmetic qualities, and I have no desire to have it removed if that's all it is.

I did add a couple more pics of the issue from last night with a flash that I think provide a bit more accurate of a picture (pardon the pun) when seeing it in-person.

Attachments

mdubya

Reaction score
Thanks, fellas!

@mdubya, I'm fully with you -- I couldn't care less about the cosmetic qualities, and I have no desire to have it removed if that's all it is.

I did add a couple more pics of the issue from last night with a flash that I think provide a bit more accurate of a picture (pardon the pun) when seeing it in-person.
My amateur internet opinion is that the binding in that area was scraped a bit deep and it looks like maybe took a bump which further cracked the lacquer.

I have a new guitar that I have played every day for a bit over a week. It suddenly is showing a few slight bumps and dings I didn't notice previously. Did I do that? :hmm: :dunno:

Reaction score
My amateur internet opinion is that the binding in that area was scraped a bit deep and it looks like maybe took a bump which further cracked the lacquer.

I have a new guitar that I have played every day for a bit over a week. It suddenly is showing a few slight bumps and dings I didn't notice previously. Did I do that? :hmm: :dunno:
A crack in the lacquer would be just fine by me. Like I said, so long as it's a simple cosmetic flaw, it doesn't even exist as far as I'm concerned. Though, I noticed it almost immediately the day I got it, so I know it wasn't something I did. Either while being built or on it's way to me are about the only possibilities.

But I'm quite familiar with discovering new flaws after that initial week or two. I know they're controversial, but that's what I dig about relics. "Did I ding that horn? Pfft, who cares?!"

TM1

Reaction score
It just looks like a lacquer crack and not a wood issue. I know Gibson went to a thinner formula Nitro and it dries harder.

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
That’s a really nice guitar, congrats. That doesn’t look like a crack to me. It just looks like the binding was scraped a bit too low. The finish and binding issue is par for the course for Gibson. My Les Paul Custom Lite has the very same thing, and I’ve seen it countless times.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That’s a really nice guitar, congrats. That doesn’t look like a crack to me. It just looks like the binding was scraped a bit too low. The finish and binding issue is par for the course for Gibson. My Les Pul Custom Lite has the very same thing, and I’ve seen it countless times.
Thanks for the insight! From your experience, has the damage worsened at all over time?

Injector

Reaction score
Looks like a scrape to me too. When they were scraping the binding they went a bit too far over and onto the wood. Still damaged but it's aesthetic so far as I can tell from the photos.

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! From your experience, has the damage worsened at all over time?

Sorry for my late reply. No, it has never become worse on any of my Gibsons. I wouldn’t really consider it damage - it’s really just a byproduct of their manufacturing.

bum

Reaction score
I have a 335 and honestly getting a crack there would require some force, it's all basically ply wood in the body and super strong.
I can't help feel if it was a crack there would be more signs around the guitar of an impact of some kind.

Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply. No, it has never become worse on any of my Gibsons. I wouldn’t really consider it damage - it’s really just a byproduct of their manufacturing.
Cool, thanks. It really doesn't seem to be an issue. At least not to this point.

Reaction score
I have a 335 and honestly getting a crack there would require some force, it's all basically ply wood in the body and super strong.
I can't help feel if it was a crack there would be more signs around the guitar of an impact of some kind.
Good point, and there really isn't any sign of trauma anywhere. I think some of the other members hit it on the head with it coming while they were scraping the binding. In any event, I couldn't be happier about it. Doesn't bother me any, isn't in a highly visible area, and it scored me a nice little "discount!"

bum

Reaction score
Cool man, glad your mind is at rest and you can enjoy it :)
See it as the guitars fingerprints, it's unique.
Mine has the tiniest fleck of sawdust under the finish near the top horn, so you know what, if it ever gets stolen I'll know it's mine :D
Rock on my dude!

Reaction score
Cool man, glad your mind is at rest and you can enjoy it :)
See it as the guitars fingerprints, it's unique.
Mine has the tiniest fleck of sawdust under the finish near the top horn, so you know what, if it ever gets stolen I'll know it's mine :D
Rock on my dude!
Thanks for that, I am too! Haven't given it a second thought in weeks, and you're not kidding about the 'fingerprints.' Hell, this baby -- "Ginger," as my young son likes to call her -- has about four or five uniquely identifying characteristics. Good luck to any would-be thieves!

Have you posted anything on your 335? I'd love to check it out.

moreles

Reaction score
Can't be definitive w/ pictures, but it sure does look like scraped-way color or, possibly, some imperfection in the color coat so the red did not "take." I would either get a discount/refund or return the guitar for another. It's almost certain you will like a replacement just as much, or more, than that one. I would not want a blemished guitar, and don't understand why, other that laziness, anyone would keep a new, high-end purchase that has a noticeable flaw. Sure, you'll get used to it, if that's the criterion. But you didn't lay out $$$ for something you needed to "get used to," did you? I'm sorry for this annoyance.

Latest Threads