New Eric Clapton Alnico 5 Firebird Pickup

CrackerBlues44

Reaction score
Anyone out there know about the latest Custom Shop Eric Clapton Firebird p/u that's in his new signature reissue? I have a 2016 Historic Firebird I reissue with the aged mini-bucker and wraparound tailpiece, etc. I really have to change my amp settings a lot to get a good tone out of it that isn't too high end and brittle sounding. I can't recall if the p/u has ceramic magnets or what, right now. In any event, I'd like to find out if it's just a matter of the magnets being changed to Alnico 5's or if the redesign of the new EC pickup that Gibson did, is more extensive. Thank in advance !

Jim_D

Reaction score
I really have to change my amp settings a lot to get a good tone out of it that isn't too high end and brittle sounding.
Dave Gregory of XTC talks about the treble-heavy sound of the Firebird on his Guitargonauts site - http://www.guitargonauts.info/pick-36.html - "With volume and tone at 10, the bridge pickup produced the sonic equivalent of a blizzard of nails (thank you, Ritchie Fliegler) - loud, piercing, fractured, terrifying...". With that in mind I'd expect to tweak your amp if you are plugging the Firebird in after a regular humbucker axe :)

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't ever use a Firebird pickup unless it was in the bridge position of an LP with a P-90 in the neck position and I wanted to emulate Neil Young.

garybaldy

Reaction score
My Tokai FBII has, I believe, Creamery handmade vintage style FB pups. It came with an A2 in the neck and A5 in the bridge but I swapped them 'round, jacked up the bridge pup and lowered the neck. Now it's really good.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Cool guitar! If it sounds nothing like a vintage bird, i'd guesstimate it's a ceramic. The Clapton model is new to me so no help there. The Johnny Winter sig' pups from MojoTone might be worth a look for JW's riff on a Bird Pup.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
It would be nice to know if Gibson has finally made a true FB pickup, I hope someone has the courage to open one of those up sometime to see for sure.
Al

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
The pickup in the Epi JB Firebird is a “proper” repro rather than a ceramic mini-bucker and sounds way better than the Gibson ones I’ve had. Was still quite thin sounding with the stock “lightening bar” bridge so I switched to a solid-cast nickel plated bell-brass ABM bridge and that fattened the tone up nicely. Just a thought ...

mdubya

Reaction score
I don't think the Clapton FB I is even out yet, so not sure how anyone could know.

That said, I would contact one of our excellent forum winders and tell 'em what you want.

I had an EVH replica full size hb PAF (A2 9k ohms) in the bridge of one of my Firebirds at one time and I reckon that would be about the perfect tone for an FB I, for me. :jam: