New Epiphone OR Used Gibson?

Orduan

Reaction score
I can get either an Epiphone LP Modern or a used Gibson LP Studio for around the same price.

Any advice on which I should go for?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Can you play them both before buying ? If so, one will tell you if it wants to leave with you.

JMP

Reaction score
In general I prefer to buy used gear. If you like the used Gibson, I’d not hesitate to grab it.

swampblues

Reaction score
Be careful some studios are great and some are dead wood I have found playboth if you can

truckermde

Reaction score
Since you asked, IMHO, Gibby Studio LPs have never been anything but disappointing. YMMV.

FWIW, I've had a couple, and they've been OK, but nothing to write home about.

I would shop MIJ options within your budget, but if you're limiting yourself to the two mentioned options, I'd take the Epi.

Above all else, do what YOU want...

Tanner

Reaction score
It all comes down to the neck for me when it comes to deciding between guitars, see if you can find a store near you with both in stock and give em a try.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What kind of Studio? Some are magical. Alive, inspiring, stripped down great guitars. The worn satin finish, or good cured nitro, in tandem the proper headstock angle (makes a huge difference in pick attack, sustain, bloom, all that.)

Troy McClure

Reaction score
Guess it's a bit like the old adage of buying the worst house in the best street because you can always do it up, at the end of the day you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, go for the Gibson.

RavenMadd

Reaction score
play them both then make your choice ...but don't second guess yourself my friend

Benniator

Reaction score
As an owner of both an Epi LP Custom and a Gibson LP Standard, I’d suggest giving the Gibby a serious look.

rifflearner

Reaction score
It's a tough choice. And these threads usually devolve into a Gibson/Epiphone debate that goes round and round.

There is a really famous Anderton's video on YouTube where they do this comparison and there is ample argument in the video for going with either guitar.

Latest Threads