New Epiphone headstock???

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is, when I saw Dio(about 15 times with Viv) he always played a Jackson black Les Paul.
It was exact and I have never seen another.
I`ve never seen him play a Gibson with Dio.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
You know, I never saw Viv play with Dio on a Gibson either. I don’t know what guitar he played, but I do know it wasn’t a Gibson LP, when he played live. perhaps, might he have played an LP on the recordings?

tzd

Reaction score
The funny thing is, when I saw Dio(about 15 times with Viv) he always played a Jackson black Les Paul.
It was exact and I have never seen another.
I`ve never seen him play a Gibson with Dio.
You know, I never saw Viv play with Dio on a Gibson either. I don’t know what guitar he played, but I do know it wasn’t a Gibson LP, when he played live. perhaps, might he have played an LP on the recordings?
I found this article:

"It's a new/old guitar. It's a...Epiphone are doing a version of 72987537 which is my original DIO guitar. I bought it when I was 15. It was a wine red deluxe. I ordered a gold standard. I took emery paper to it, sand paper to it that night. Rory Gallagher was my first guitar hero. I never liked shiny guitars as a result of that so I took sand paper to this Les Paul when I got home that night. About a week or two later I took it to a guy in Belfast and I asked him to repaint it a dull mat black. And then I changed out all the hardware and machine heads, the frets, the pickups. Everything about it and that was the guitar I did the Holy Diver album and tour with with Ronnie. And now it's been in storage for many many years and I only ever play it when I go and do shows with Last In Line which is the remnants of the DIO band."

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, there is our answer. Viv recorded with a Gibson, and maybe did not perform all the time with one. With Dio.

I recall when my then GF, now my wife, asked me in the early 80s what kind of music I liked. She said she hoped it wasn’t country, and I said. No, it was metal! I bought us tickets for a Dio concert back in 83. I was an attorney at that time, so I went in wearing my vested suit and asked the guy for two tickets. He said I wouldn’t want them on the floor because that is where the “big smelly guys” would be. I told him “do you think us guys who like Dio are bad?” I said if he said yes, I would rip his face off! Of course I wouldn’t have done so, but it was just a joke about how society was in the early 80s where I lived. It was believed if you liked bands like Dio that you were some sort of undesirable person. That, of course, was not the truth. We went to the concert, and everybody there was pretty nice. No suits and ties, of course, but no fights or violence at all. Just people who appreciated what metal should be. My GF (now wife) even liked the concert, though she had not been much of a metal fan before.

I guess that this was because good music is good music, regardless of what genre it might be. And Dio was good music.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, some of us are:
  • Just hobby players and are not in a band and/or gig, so it's not about looking good for the crowd
  • Some (actually many) people prefer a guitar that we find aesthetically pleasing and find inspiration in the beauty of the instrument
  • Even though it may not affect the way it plays or sounds, an attractive (or unattractive) guitar design (incl the headstock) can still very much affect the enjoyment of owning and playing the instrument
]

Like you, I am a hobby player these days. If headstock design appearance is a big factor to you, that is your right. But some of us hobby players are more concerned with tone, tuning stability, and playability than guitar headstock deign. Like you, it does not matter to me what I ((and the guitar) look like on stage, as I haven’t been there in a decade.and doubt that I’ll ever be up there again. I’m just down to “woodshedding” in my music room these days, due to old age. And this has been a strange experience. I had the builder build my little music room to provide the best acoustics a small room could provide, I asked him to sound proof it. He misunderstood, and soundproofed every room in the house! In any even, the music room has acoustics of a much larger venue, and that is a very good thing.

And, like you, I don’t want any ugly guitars, even only I ever see them. But headstock designs have never moved me much, as long as they don’t cause neck dive or too much tuning instability. Look at PRS headstocks. I think they are ugly, but they work for tuning stability..

This hobby player does not hang his guitars on the wall for art. I case them when not playing them.. if one looks good but does not sound good, I sell it. But if I have one that is a bit ugly that sounds and plays great, it is a keeper. Because, who knows when an established band might need a good lead man again.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
But some of us hobby players are more concerned with tone, tuning stability, and playability than guitar headstock deign.
It’s doesn’t have to be one or the other, I can be concerned (and am) about all those things you mention (tone, tuning stability, and playability) and the visual design and beauty of the guitar (including the headstock).

I had the builder build my little music room to provide the best acoustics a small room could provide, I asked him to sound proof it. He misunderstood, and soundproofed every room in the house! In any even, the music room has acoustics of a much larger venue, and that is a very good thing.
Sounds (pun intended) like a killer room (and/or house). ;)

Look at PRS headstocks. I think they are ugly, but they work for tuning stability..
I agree, PRS headstocks are ugly. I don’t own one, nor have I ever (nor will I ever probably). I find both their headstock and Paul Reed Smith’s incessant need to put bird inlays on his fretboards a huge aesthetic turnoff. I’m sure they sound and play great. So do my Gibsons (and Epiphones). I’ll stick with them. ;)

This hobby player does not hang his guitars on the wall for art. I case them when not playing them.. if one looks good but does not sound good, I sell it. But if I have one that is a bit ugly that sounds and plays great, it is a keeper. Because, who knows when an established band might need a good lead man again.
Don’t hang mine on the wall either. All reside in their cases when not being played. But, yes I do plead guilty to sometimes just taking them out (even if I don’t have time to play them right then) and just looking at them for a quick minute. As I’ve said above, I really enjoy their aesthetic and find it inspiring. Which is why I have Les Paul books, and posters, and often have one for the wallpaper on my phone. I suspect I’m not alone in this visual appreciation. ;)

And yep, I've had a few real lookers that were not great guitars and they do always end up getting sold. As a result, I've owned a lot of guitars and have been able to find ones that sound good, play good... and look good. :D

Dolebludger

Reaction score
1all’s,

I had no intent to be insulting — just to present a different point of view on the importance (or lack thereof) of headstock appearance. Clearly, a good number here feel headstock appearance is very important. Otherwise this thread would not exist!

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Anyway they do them is fine but the curves being bigger make me think of bigger body guitars than the LP.. Heres an old pic of the 100th LPC I had and my first standard on the right

I am big fan of Epiphone/Gibson

FB_IMG_1536440195555.jpg

Last edited:

radiomatts

Reaction score
Same boat here. As best I can tell, they‘re showing the Vivian signature model at the current Summer NAMM show, as well as at the last Winter NAMM (it showed up VERY briefly, almost in passing, in Anderton’s Gibson/Epiphone walkthrough video from Winter NAMM). However, there has been hardly any press or social media coverage on it yet. It’s also not on Epiphone’s website yet, and as you found out it’s not up on any retail sites yet either, so my best guess is that it just hasn't been released yet. :dunno: On the plus side, the fact that they had Mark Agnesi pimp it in a video for Premier Guitar would seem to indicate that it should be on its way to retail in the near future. :thumb:
I saw on Sweetwater that it has an October street date.

whatshisname

Reaction score
Cesar confirmed that all Epi headstocks will be changed in a response on his Instagram.

Last edited: