New Epi tuning/ intonation problems.

Havoc

Reaction score
Just got my first Epi Les Paul, love the guitar. It's just having trouble holding intonation and tuning.
Seems like a common problem, what were some of your fixes for it?

rayspang

Reaction score
Replaced the nut with a graphtech pre-slotted one. Took it to a luthier for a set up. Plays pretty good now with no buzzing.

rem22

Reaction score
I don't have problems with tuning....intonation I don't even understand how it could change. It is based on the length of the string and without a screwdriver it is quite hard to move.

Are you sure you correctly set the string in the tuners ?

Havoc

Reaction score
These are still the factory applied strings and set up. Everything looks right.

LesPaula

Reaction score
Intonation won't change until you bring out tools.
Before blaming the guitar, or the tuners, a few things to check-
How old are your strings? If more than about three weeks, replace them first.
Are your strings properly wrapped on the tuner posts? There's a million links on google.
Are your tuners tight enough?
Try lubing the nut slots with a sharp pencil.

Those factory strings could be a year old, or played to death in-store.
If all else fails, see a pro.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the MLP and congratulations on your first Les Paul :)

I'd recommend to put a set of new strings on and take it from there.
Bad strings can be impossible to intonate properly.

tonka.boy333

Reaction score
Tuning issues is actually not a common problem with Epi LPs - unless you are doing some kool bends on new strings:dude: (But that's not a problem.) They should tune properly right out of the box.

I own three guitars. The Epi LP. A Squire Strat. A Martin acoustic. All very different, right? Other than a slight adjustment on one or two strings, they all need tuning on the same day - when the weather changes.

It's been my experience that temp & humidity have more to do with tuning than mechanics. If you are having mechanical issues, take it back to the store.

CherrySunburstDan

Reaction score
Welcome to the MLP and congratulations on your first Les Paul :)

I'd recommend to put a set of new strings on and take it from there.
Bad strings can be impossible to intonate properly.

+1 ^^^^^^

I recently got a Baja Telecaster, first owner, intonation a nightmare!
Strings were newish but played in shop a fair bit!
Shop was cold but testing booth roasting hot, couldn't get it in tune properly!
Once home it tuned up fine, leave it for 1hr, out of tune! Stretch the strings and retune and it became 10 times better but still nigh on impossible to intonate, of course classic 3 saddle bridge didn't help, but new strings are a must before into sting a guitar and make sure you stretch them in well!

Dan

wwit

Reaction score
Grats on the new LP.

I have to strongly agree with the comments posted above.

And will also add that Epiphone installs the worlds worst strings. From the $159 LP special to the $900 LE guitars, they all come thru with horrid at best, strings. Factory strings continue to stretch until finally breaking. But wont hold tune for any length of time.

Put some quality 10's or 11's on it ASAP before going any farther. And before the new strings go on, if it has the Grover style tuning machines with the nut on the face of the headstock...be sure those nuts are tight. Every Epi I have ever bought new, no matter if it came off the wall at a store or in the factory box from an online retailer...every one had the nuts back off. In a couple times many of them where only being held on by the strings. This too will add to stability problems.

Its a learning game to the uninitiated. But put some quality strings on it and check the headstock tuners for tightness. Stretch the strings properly and try again.

tonka.boy333

Reaction score
I have a buddy that teaches guitar lessons. One day a guy called him up asking for tips because his playing sounded awful. My buddy suggested that he first change the strings. The guy's response was, "You can change the strings on these things?"

I bought my LP off the hook at GC. It sounded beautiful! A couple short weeks later, it sounded awful. The individual strings seems to tune properly, but chords just sounded bad! New strings solve all kinds of issues.

Went through the next set pretty fast, trying to learn "Layla". lol

claven2

Reaction score
Just got my first Epi Les Paul, love the guitar. It's just having trouble holding intonation and tuning.
Seems like a common problem, what were some of your fixes for it?

Which model? New purchase, or a previously-enjoyed guitar?

I ask, because the machine heads on Epiphones vary greatly by model and year.

the recent "better" models typically use Grover machine heads which are really well made and would not be your problem, but the entry models may have something else fitted and older models can be all over the map.

Generally, tuning issues will be in the machine heads, nut, or can be related to a broken or overly-loose truss rod.

Edit: PS: this assumes decent strings - change those factory suckers out as others have suggested!

rem22

Reaction score
I did not think about it but the guy with the Martin is right : it is normal to retune the guitar if the weather (temperature and humidity) changes. You can see that because all the string are slightly above or under pitch. Very good comment maybe that's your source of the problem.

The tip "replace your string with good strings" is also good, for 5-6$ a set it's a no brainer.

Lutherie

Reaction score

Well there is your problem, take her in for a good setup replace the nasty plastic nut with a Tusq and get your self some EB slinky strings.
A factory setup guitar will have most things off, the neck is set for transport, the strings are junk, intonation will be out and action to high.
Trust me a good setup is like night and day, best money spent on a guitar.

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
Go for a new set of strings and read a lot of info about how to do a proper setup. I haven't replaced any parts that affect the setup on my PTP and the thing still plays better than any other guitar I've played because I put in the time to give it a good setup. It'll take some time and a lot of tweaking as you figure out how you want your guitar to play, but it will be soooo worth it. :thumb:

Paulie C

Reaction score
Unwritten rule here Havoc, but new members that don't post pics of their guitar get cursed with intonation issues! :laugh2:

Havoc

Reaction score
epi 1.JPG

Havoc

Reaction score
Sorry I am computer illiterate. Surprised I was even able to get this far.

Latest Threads