New Conversion project- the ultimate original centre seam flametop!

rogue3

Reaction score
Wow! That fretboard doesn't look too shabby either.

Coldacre

Reaction score
newbie question - when you say you want to make it a "59 conversion"... how would that differ from a "58 conversion"?

RAG7890

Reaction score
newbie question - when you say you want to make it a "59 conversion"... how would that differ from a "58 conversion"?
.........you can sell it for more money. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Bigger frets to start with, along with some other subtle differences but mostly the $$$$$$.

:cheers2:

RAG7890

Reaction score
what are those other subtle differences?
Well apart from Frets, you have Neck Shapes: -

Maple Tops on '59's were (generally) "bigger" than those found on '58's; i.e. more Flame.

'58 PAF's were Black Bobbin, mid - late '59 you saw the Zebra & then Double White Bobbins (apparently because they couldn't get Black Bobbins).

'58 back color slightly different to '59 back color............cases went from 4 latches in '58 to 5 latches in '59.

Jack plate corners changed ~ mid '59...........from rounded off to more square.

Red dye used on the '59 fades faster than the '58................so '58's have more red in them because it was more light stable.

Can't remember the Logo although that is different between '57 to '58 / '59 but not sure if there was a minor difference from '58 to '59.

There are probably a few other minor details I can't remember but others on this Forum who know more than I do might add something to do.

Coldacre

Reaction score
Well apart from Frets, you have Neck Shapes: -

Maple Tops on '59's were (generally) "bigger" than those found on '58's; i.e. more Flame.

'58 PAF's were Black Bobbin, mid - late '59 you saw the Zebra & then Double White Bobbins (apparently because they couldn't get Black Bobbins).

'58 back color slightly different to '59 back color............cases went from 4 latches in '58 to 5 latches in '59.

Jack plate corners changed ~ mid '59...........from rounded off to more square.

Red dye used on the '59 fades faster than the '58................so '58's have more red in them because it was more light stable.

Can't remember the Logo although that is different between '57 to '58 / '59 but not sure if there was a minor difference from '58 to '59.

There are probably a few other minor details I can't remember but others on this Forum who know more than I do might add something to do.

thanks! the neck profile was the only thing I was already aware of. I was wondering if the OP would sand down the neck on a vintage Lester.... or is that something you just leave alone

RAG7890

Reaction score
thanks! the neck profile was the only thing I was already aware of. I was wondering if the OP would sand down the neck on a vintage Lester.... or is that something you just leave alone
Welcome. I think Yuuki has to comment on that but if the Neck is in good shape & the dimensions are about right I doubt you would touch it. If the Neck was too big then yes, it might get some work done to get it close to the mean of a typical '59.

lewis_grey

Reaction score
Put some 50's P-90's in that mofo and call it done. But I know your ego will ruin it with a router. :hippie:
As cool as that would be, the market dictates most people want a tune-o-matic and humbuckers on their conversions, especially bursted with a top like that. Converted properly to ‘59 specs this might even sell for more than if it was totally original...

As Yuuki said, it’s been dicked with enough that it’s really a non-issue at this stage. No ego, just sensible business.

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
They're only original once, but that one is a great candidate for the conversion, especially with the flamey top. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the progress.

DADDEO

Reaction score
The bottom pic looks like an aerial view of a mountain range, stunning. If you can sort out the hole filler, I'd clear coat it, keep it P90, and have a one of a kind guitar on my hands.

This is by far the strongest two piece flame top I’ve seen, or in fact heard of on a ‘50s Goldtop, and am absolute knocked out! This will make the ultimate ‘59 conversion, and I can’t wait to see it with the top prepped and some sealer on[/QUOTE]