New Computer Woes- Can Anyone Help?

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance, this is gonna be a long post, so grab a snack!

A while back, Bling posted a thread asking you guys to help me pick out a new pc, and we found one and posted the link and so on. Here is the original thread.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/178487-help-sneakysnakelady-pick-out-gaming-pc.html

Well it was backordered, so I didn't get it until the beginning of last week. Booted it up, it was AWESOME SAUCE. I was thrilled with it. That night I installed Google Chrome and played on it for hours. I shut it down and went to bed.

The next morning I got up and turned it on, and it installed updates and then immediately started blue screening the moment it would finish booting up. So I ran a disc check, and then that seemingly fixed the issue.

Not to long after that day, as I was using Chrome it kept crashing and blue screening again, saying it was having memory management issues. I did some research and was told that installing Windows 7 again would fix the problem. Also that Google Chrome is not supported on a 64 bit system.

So I installed my own copy of Windows 7 64-bit, and installed Firefox instead of Chrome.

This seemed to do the trick- I did this yesterday, and all through the day and night the computer was fantastic, no issues at all.

So last night, I once again turned it off, and this morning rebooted it, it ran updates- and guess what...blue screening again! Over and over, with the same memory management problem.

So I try to go on the Asus website and navigating that thing is like trying to read Chinese...I can't find any info that I need, Internet Explorer doesn't want to download anything from the site- the site doesn't even list my model of computer!

So This is where I am. I have no clue what to do about this, but if I can't find some solution in the next day or so, I'm shipping it back and not getting another one like it.

So do any of you guys think you might have any kind of solution, or experienced this before?

Part two - if there isn't anything to be done, can you help me find a computer with just as good, if not better specs? I really do like this computer a lot, when it's working the way it should it's very speedy and runs smoothly and is everything I was hoping for....except for the crashing blue screen failage.

teame1

Reaction score
I can help but I'm a bit far away............
You need to run diagnostics and understand whats going on.

Personally I would just ship it back and get another one.
They would have done testing on the configuration you bought and if they sell them then they should be fine.
You could have faulty memory or a faulty board.

By the way chrome works fine on 64bit windows 7.........it's what I run here.

So again, I would ship it back and get a replacement............

Nigel Tufnel's tech

Reaction score
Go to system restore and restore the computer to a date befor all started to go wrong.

if it's still the same, yea send it back.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I can help but I'm a bit far away............
You need to run diagnostics and understand whats going on.

Personally I would just ship it back and get another one.
They would have done testing on the configuration you bought and if they sell them then they should be fine.
You could have faulty memory or a faulty board.

By the way chrome works fine on 64bit windows 7.........it's what I run here.

+1.. Yea, ship it back and get them to send another one. Or if you like get the money and go to a local shop that builds PC's and get a custom one around your price range. If that fails let them fix it... That's what I did with mine. And yea, I use Chrome on win 7/64 bit and it works fine.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I could give you advice...but it will start a s#itstorm. I hope you get it sorted. Best of luck.

-posted from my iPad.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll give system restore a try, but I don't think it will do much good. I am going to get into my account on TigerDirect and see what I have to do about sending this back. Personally I don't know that I want to wait another 2 months for a replacement of the same refurbished computer. I might just pay a little extra for a brand new computer that I saw when I was looking into this one that was even nicer.

So Chrome works on 64-bit, that's weird....wonder why so many sites say it's not supported?

@Scooter- posted from your ipad..I see what you did there :laugh2: I actually like Apple products, but it's just not what I'm looking for right now, or in my budget.

csplayer089

Reaction score
It's probably a hardware issue. A HUGE majority of the blue screens I have gotten have either been from bad memory or too much overclocking, but thats a different story.

If you did a clean wipe and installed fresh drivers for everything and it still BSOD's, then you probably have a bad stick of RAM or there is a setting in the BIOS that Windows does not like. Try clearing the CMOS.

apocalypsebob

Reaction score
that kind of error is usually hardware related, I'd send it back

it really isn't a question of quality of the brand, these things just happen sometimes

since you waited so long for that one to show up, you can probably get a system maybe a little better for the same money you paid

I'd contact where you bought it from and see what the policy is, don't bother telling them you tried to fix anything just say it isn't working or they may try to fault you

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I'll give system restore a try, but I don't think it will do much good. I am going to get into my account on TigerDirect and see what I have to do about sending this back. Personally I don't know that I want to wait another 2 months for a replacement of the same refurbished computer. I might just pay a little extra for a brand new computer that I saw when I was looking into this one that was even nicer.

So Chrome works on 64-bit, that's weird....wonder why so many sites say it's not supported?

@Scooter- posted from your ipad..I see what you did there :laugh2: I actually like Apple products, but it's just not what I'm looking for right now, or in my budget.

Here is some information on Chrome and Win 7 64bit.
Google Chrome and Windows 7 64-Bit - Google Chrome Help

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went on TD and looked at policies for returning/exchanging it and it is so all over the place I am even more confused than when I started. I sent an email asking them to clarify a few things for me. From what I understand the manufacturer doesn't allow outright returns on this model, but will do exchanges...so it looks like I'm stuck with this one, but I am not looking forward to another several month wait again. This is just what I understood from what I read, so I'll see if they answer me in my email. If not I will give them a call.

oy, all I want to do is play some freakin games! :laugh2:

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you can, take it back. I got an Asus last year, and I wish I waited for something a bit stronger or a computer. That blows your's is crashing so much! Take it back and when they tell you they can fix it, tell them you researched it and have done everything you found, and it still does it, and you don't want it and don't have time to put up with it.

With mine, I used a Line 6 USB recording interface, and Line 6 likes to not make modern USB drivers for Windows 7 at all. So recording until I got a new interface was a hassle. I would have some great takes, and then it would blue screen cause the USB driver was confusing Windows.

I'm no where near being an IT (cork sniffer warning), but there may be something wrong with the HDD. Or the motherboard. :shock:

Edit: Seeing your most recent post, get it exchanged, and sell it! :thumb:

Kashmir

Reaction score
I agree. A blue screen means something is way off. It shouldn't happen on a new pc. Send it back and have it replaced.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. A blue screen means something is way off. It shouldn't happen on a new pc. Send it back and have it replaced.
Technically it's not a new pc, but still...you would expect better of something like this.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can, take it back. I got an Asus last year, and I wish I waited for something a bit stronger or a computer. That blows your's is crashing so much! Take it back and when they tell you they can fix it, tell them you researched it and have done everything you found, and it still does it, and you don't want it and don't have time to put up with it.

With mine, I used a Line 6 USB recording interface, and Line 6 likes to not make modern USB drivers for Windows 7 at all. So recording until I got a new interface was a hassle. I would have some great takes, and then it would blue screen cause the USB driver was confusing Windows.

I'm no where near being an IT (cork sniffer warning), but there may be something wrong with the HDD. Or the motherboard. :shock:

Edit: Seeing your most recent post, get it exchanged, and sell it! :thumb:
I have heard mixed reviews on Asus...and I hate whats going on with this one, but in the time that it wasn't acting like a crackhead, I really did like it and it did everything I wanted it to. So I'm on the fence as to what to do really.

Sinster

Reaction score
Try MemTest...download it, burn it, and boot into it and let it do it thing a few times through. It's not a quick thing either. What's the specs and what PSU is currently in there?

You have all the Service Packs installed?

What's the exact error you are getting. You check it out under "Control Panel" > "Admin Tools" > "Event Viewer"> "Windows Log" > "System"

txbruno

Reaction score
What is the exact error message when the blue screen pops up? It may be in the format
0x00000000

That will help to troubleshoot the cause. I wonder if one of the updates is causing the blue screen

Sinster

Reaction score

You said re-installing windows will take care of the problem. I'm assuming all you did was install Win7 instead of formatting the HDD and then re-installing.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try MemTest...download it, burn it, and boot into it and let it do it thing a few times through. It's not a quick thing either. What's the specs and what PSU is currently in there?

You have all the Service Packs installed?

What's the exact error you are getting. You check it out under "Control Panel" > "Admin Tools" > "Event Viewer"> "Windows Log" > "System"
What is the exact error message when the blue screen pops up? It may be in the format
0x00000000

That will help to troubleshoot the cause. I wonder if one of the updates is causing the blue screen
I'm at Blings tonight, so I can't check today, but I'll be home tomorrow so I'll look.

You said re-installing windows will take care of the problem. I'm assuming all you did was install Win7 instead of formatting the HDD and then re-installing.
Yep, all I did was just put a new copy of Win7 on there...from what I had read on another forum that was thought to fix the problem, but........guess not :laugh2:

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
+1 to send it back. If the disk check came back with errors it may well be you got a bad disk, or it was damaged in shipping. I would guess that you had issues after installing Chrome as the files were possibly copied to the bad part of the disk, and the boot sequence started trying to access the bad sectors on boot there after. I had the same issue on a new work laptop recently. I unfortunately had spent 2 days installing all my custom software and data before it started failing, so I got to go through that all again. I feel your pain!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out fast

cwness

Reaction score
Sinisters is right in asking if you formatted or just installed over the top. Do a clean install by formatting the drive first. Do a full format not the quick.

CW