New CITES regulations

moreles

Reaction score
Fretboard Journal did a good podcast on the new CITES regulations. Current manufacturers will likely be able to comply relatively easily, assuming their sourcing is legit, but the vintage (or just used) stuff could be a nightmare due to lack of records and documentation. Too bad; there are lots of excellent older MIJ and MIK guitars out there. I'm glad they're protecting the forests now, but I don't understand how complicating the used market helps with that goal. Glad I already have a sweet Orville!

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
So silly...because a 30 year old instrument can change issues how exactly?
Peeling the board off and gluing it back onto the long gone dead tree?

Mick51

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So silly...because a 30 year old instrument can change issues how exactly?
Peeling the board off and gluing it back onto the long gone dead tree?

Particularly so, since the real issue is use in high end furniture. The regulation(s) should have been tailored to furniture and raw lumber, instead of casting the net so wide. All we need is to grow additional bureaucratic infrastructure.

Troy McClure

Reaction score
Does seem a bit overkill, I had my eye on a load of guitars I wanted to pick up next year too :( Looked on the UK site and the re-export permit fee is £59 but god knows how much hassle they are to get. Hard to know how it'll play out in reality as I can't see the proxies going thru the hassle although it may create a profitable niche business for the likes of anyone willing to.

64F100

Reaction score
Are there enough maple neck'd Grecos and Ibanez to go around for everyone in 2017?

IMG_9765.jpg

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I emailed CITEs since I am about to move from Australia to Canada. They said if the total package weighs less than 10kg in the box, it will be exempt as a single shipment. Not sure how many LPs in a case, in a box would weigh less than 10kg. Maybe strats and teles would work. Unfortunately for me, I have about 6 guitars I want to bring back to Canada and I am not too keen to giving money to parasites.

One thing I have learned is that there are tons of entities like this that take money and create barriers to basic things and use some sort of high moral reason for it. However, in many cases the executives and administrators are getting tons of money and not actually effecting any change.

Lumi71

Reaction score
if the customs are taking it seroíuos, and I suggest they will, it will kill 90% of international used guitar deals:shock:

Zarg

Reaction score
I emailed CITEs since I am about to move from Australia to Canada. They said if the total package weighs less than 10kg in the box, it will be exempt as a single shipment. Not sure how many LPs in a case, in a box would weigh less than 10kg. Maybe strats and teles would work. Unfortunately for me, I have about 6 guitars I want to bring back to Canada and I am not too keen to giving money to parasites.

One thing I have learned is that there are tons of entities like this that take money and create barriers to basic things and use some sort of high moral reason for it. However, in many cases the executives and administrators are getting tons of money and not actually effecting any change.

I agree with the second part of your post.

the thing is LP's are really heavy. My understanding was that ONLY the weight of the listed woods count, which in the case of a rosewood fretboard would be a mere 0,5 kg, probably even less.

Lumi71

Reaction score
this thing about weight is only important when you are crossing a boarder with a guitar that is already yours. for buying/selling abroad the weight does not matter. every gutiar with rosewood needs to have a certificate or whatever, if you want to sell/buy it to/from another country...

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Looks like I will get mine declared as "ebony" then lol.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
So what is my solution? Ship 1 guitar at a time? Claim I am a touring musician? I guess I can attempt to bring them on my flight back home.

It would be so much easier if they were all strats and teles. Could just put the necks in my luggage and ship the bodies.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
So what is my solution? Ship 1 guitar at a time? Claim I am a touring musician? I guess I can attempt to bring them on my flight back home.

It would be so much easier if they were all strats and teles. Could just put the necks in my luggage and ship the bodies.

It does not apply to instruments shipped within the borders of your country or instruments carried for personal use while traveling internationally [unless they contain more than 22 lbs. (10 kg) of the regulated woods].

What's the weight of a rosewood fretboard ?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
The move is international. Not sure how much I trust airline staff with 7 guitars

Hydra19

Reaction score
Sorry to go a bit off topic but will this thread be affected by this CITES regulation from now on? I really want to get another Navigator or Tokai in 2017 but am getting worried that I might be able to buy it but might not get through the UK without this paperwork

Hydra19

Reaction score
The move is international. Not sure how much I trust airline staff with 7 guitars

you can use a black sharpie marker to color your rosewood into ebony and claim it's ebony :) I can understand the need for CITES but it doesn't make any sense to apply it to pre 2017 guitars (and it's probably not guitars they had in mind). Point being, somebody will come up with a way around it.

Maybe remove the fretboards from all the guitars and put them in the suitcase and glue them back on? Desperate times call for desperate measures

Lumi71

Reaction score
if you sell or buy a guitar with rosewood across the border, the guitar needs cites papers from January 2nd 2017 on.

free713

Reaction score
in the EU the new regulations don't come into effect until February (don't know if it's the start or end of the month). Just won and auction on a Headway acoustic with solid rosewood sides and back 15 min ago!!! I think I'll end up getting 8 guitars shipped from japan before February 1st...

...but lets see how strict the customs are going to be...haven't had any problems with importing guitars with jacaranda...they've never bothered opening the boxes to check what was inside...I have a theory that they intensionally don't open stuff from Japan and instead use their resources on other stuff...why and what would anybody try to import/smuggle from the land of the rising sun? Sushi and Kimonos??! Large packages from South America, Africa, China on the other hand... :)

WesB

Reaction score
I sent an email to Buyee inquiring how the new regulations would effect shipping guitars to the US since most guitars have rosewood fret boards. This is the response I received:

I'm interested in bidding on this guitar and other guitars thru Buyee. How will the new CITES regulations effect Buyee shipping these guitars to the US.
Thanks
Wes

Hi,
This is Buyee Customer Support Team. Thank you for using our service.
Do you mean for the new regulations by CITES on rosewood? Auctions that involves with the word [Rosewood] have been blocked by our system since years ago.
m184105557 does not seem to contain any rosewood, so it is OK to bid the item through our service. However, if you know it should contain rosewood from your knowledge, please do not bid it because it may cause shipping troubles.
Thank you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.
Sincerely,
Hyo
Buyee Customer Support Team

The guitar I was inquiring about obviously had a rosewood fret board, but apparently if it doesn't say rosewood in the description it's OK with Buyee to bid on it. The problem will be if customs decides to start checking all guitars entering the states.

Latest Threads