New cheaper 1960 Reissues at Dave's

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
I've been hawking Dave's for a while just seeing what's out there. I see some less figured tops for cheap now. And by cheap I mean $4,655. I'd expect some kind of price cut to change that first number from a 4 to a 3. So at that price I can't see how anyone would spend $2,599 on a standard when they can have this for a little more. Maybe a grand in price difference. I know to some a grand is a lot of money, and to me it is also, but the quality is so much better and worth it.

Check this one out:
Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Reissue Limited Run | Dave's Guitar Shop
03202-1000x695.jpg

it's got zebras, extra set of reflector knobs, gloss. I just might.

But I still love this one even more:
Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Reissue VOS 2013 Version | Dave's Guitar Shop
lespaul1.png

I realize I have GAS. I am just trying to control it right now!

jamman

Reaction score
I saw those too. To bad Gibson put junky tops on those . :wow:
They looked like rejects from the "Lightly Figured" tops that were going on R8's.
But Still , 1 of those wold be a great way to get a 2013 figured R0 . If you like them Call Daves , They do work on the prices. And for these i'd think they would do better , so they move them out . :hmm: I would guess 4K out the door. :cool: Which saves a chunk of change to buy strings and picks for a few years. :cool:

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those are regular R0s that Gibson had labeled as plain tops. They had also made some R9s and R8s this year as plain tops that had some decent flame & grain on them. They have regular custom buckers - all of them are zebras, covered or uncovered. This is a special run only for Dave's. So there won't be many of them. Price is $3,919 + shipping. They have a V2 neck, not V3. But they are not Benchmark guitars. The tops remind me of some of the heavy aged R9s that they got recently. Though some of those R9s had decent tops. And those R9s were Benchmarks. But it is a good way (by designating as plain top) to get a decent R0 at a reasonable price.

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
What's the difference in the v2 and v3 necks?

I believe I tried an Axcess a few months ago that was way too skinny at the first fret. It felt really really weird. I'm just wondering if that is anything like these. If that's the case then I'll need a R9.

journeyman73

Reaction score
v2 is sort of between r9 and r0 neck profile...v3 is pretty slim - for an LP, anyway

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What's the difference in the v2 and v3 necks?

I believe I tried an Axcess a few months ago that was way too skinny at the first fret. It felt really really weird. I'm just wondering if that is anything like these. If that's the case then I'll need a R9.

I would never try to compare a non Historic (Axcess) with a Historic. There is no attempt by Gibson to ever make them the same. And they use different binding, inlays, etc. The neck will feel different no matter what.

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
I would never try to compare a non Historic (Axcess) with a Historic. There is no attempt by Gibson to ever make them the same. And they use different binding, inlays, etc. The neck will feel different no matter what.

Binding is the biggest reason why I'm looking at historics and not USA.

The thick neck binding totally cheapens the guitar for me. It almost seems like the neck binding is pre cut with the nibs and everything and then glued on, instead of being hand crafted.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's nice that Gibson is putting out some "plain" top R0s too. I have a G0 so I'm saving up for a flame.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They have a V2 neck, not V3.

JimmyAce - any chance you have played a G0 in the past? I'm curious if they have a V2 or V3 neck. I suspect V3. I love mine and want to make sure I get the right neck on my next Historic.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
JimmyAce - any chance you have played a G0 in the past? I'm curious if they have a V2 or V3 neck. I suspect V3. I love mine and want to make sure I get the right neck on my next Historic.

i have not

Todd68

Reaction score
I emailed about the lemon one today. You better hurry up! ;) Just checked ... someone else got it. My bank is safe.

journeyman73

Reaction score
they definitely are NOT

V2 and V3 are skinny and many V3's are thicker than V2's...at any rate they are all on the thin side.

im very surprised to hear this - EVERY V2 neck i have tried has been thicker than a v3 neck i tried...i guess its possible that with the handwork done a particular v3 might be thicker than a v2 or vice versa...

but isnt the whole point of having the v2 and v3 is that one is customarily thicker than the other?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
but isnt the whole point of having the v2 and v3 is that one is customarily thicker than the other?

Yes, I believe that is the intent. There are variances with one guitar to the next though, with the human element of final sanding coming into play. But cut right off the machine, I believe V1 > V2 > V3. It is easy to see how someone who was working on a V2 might do more sanding than normal & make it smaller. And likewise, someone might sand less on a V3. We know there are variances. But on average, you will usually see V1 > V2 > V3. Another thing that comes into play is how much shoulder is on the necks. Depending on who works on them & how they feel that day, there might be more or less shoulder, affecting the circumference of the neck. So it might not necessarily be the thickness of the neck, but how much you have to reach around the shoulders to get where you need to be. My V2 R0 feels like a small R9. My V3 R0 feels like a typical 60s skinny neck.

Latest Threads