New Cheap Amp Day

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
It took 6 1/2 months, but my Joyo JTA-05 finally got here from China. They went out of production and became special order with an 8-12 wk delivery. Then the world got shut down.

For $250 CAN or ~$190 US, I wasn't expecting more than MDF with a black tweed covering stretched over it. The corners and handle mounts are kinda cheap, too.

However, it has features that might be unusual for such a cheap amp:
Slightly bent but fairly thick steel doghouse
Cage around the pre and power tubes
5AR4 tube rectifier (can be changed to a 5Y3GT)
Transformers and tube sockets securely bolted to the steel
Dual speaker out jacks for 4 and 8 ohms
Celestion Eight 15 8 ohm speaker
Volume knob goes to 12!

I tried my Gretsch Jet Junior (I think the tone control is not working) and it didn't have a lot of treble
Squier Bullet with a bridge Gibson P-90 More treble, but no ice pick
Vintera '50s Tele finally some treble, still not ice pick, but I was using low volume on the amp.

The amp looks and sounds like a decent wee blues amp, and I don't like a bright amp anyway.
Not too shabby for the price.

Pics!

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Looks like their version of a Tweed Champ, no tone control and all tweed’s volume goes to 12.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Interesting amp, but where did you get it? I couldn’t find a new one for less tha $276 $USD plus a whopping $116 shipping!

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting amp, but where did you get it? I couldn’t find a new one for less tha $276 $USD plus a whopping $116 shipping!
There is only one dealer in Canada selling them (typically doesn't ship outside Canada), and they are custom order only now, with a long lead time (although not usually seven months.) The market is/was mainly Asia, Australia and the UK. They are hard to get hold of now, no matter where you live.

I was lucky to get mine at such a low price, but I do seek out such deals even if I rarely use the amp after purchase :laugh2:

Latest Threads