new car woes

sk8rat

Reaction score
Bought a new/used car for a great price. long story short, the car is clean but the timing chain needs to be done. it runs great but there is a bit of timing chain noise.

that said, the car isn't the problem. I knew it needed to be replaced when I bought it. it's finding a shop that will do the job for a reasonable price. I called multiple shops and was quoted from $3500-$4000. I found a shop that quoted me $2200 to do the job and had an appointment to take the car in today. I got a call this morning and they told me they made a mistake and the job would actually be about $3500. I told the guy I couldn't pay that and he said he would do it for $3000 since it was his mistake but that's still too much.

the previous owner suggested a different shop so I called them and they sent me an estimate of about $2600 after tax. I called to double check after they sent the parts list and they forgot to order the lower timing chain because they got a kit and it didn't come with it. once I told them they ordered it and didn't charge more for it.

basically, I have my fingers crossed that they don't call me back and tell me they made a mistake on their estimate too.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF? Can't do a DIY? That sounds like robbery.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
what is that,a volkswagon?just bought the wife a nice 2018 honda civic with 31k on it.probably paid too much,but she had been driving a used nissan sentra for 15 years and it was getting pretty old and worn.its a blue 2 door coupe,decent looing but i only get to drive it to the gas station and back...

05jrock

Reaction score
Euro cars are fun to drive but unfortunately they ain't cheap to maintain.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I could but I really don't want to. when you take the timing cover off it exposes the head gasket and any scratch of knick on the gasket could turn this into an even bigger repair and I would rather not risk it myself. also I don't have access to a lift and since the car is so low it would be a nightmare since the transmission has to be dropped to access the chain.

sk8rat

Reaction score
what is that,a volkswagon?just bought the wife a nice 2018 honda civic with 31k on it.probably paid too much,but she had been driving a used nissan sentra for 15 years and it was getting pretty old and worn.its a blue 2 door coupe,decent looing but i only get to drive it to the gas station and back...
it is a vw. it's an r32. all wheel drive v6. I almost went with a civic but wanted something awd.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
That sucks. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that continually shopping around for the lowest possible price usually leads to bigger problems. Guitar techs, contractors, mechanics.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks like timing belt labor should be about $900. If a belt, $800.

Perhaps the extra labor hours are due to the tranny needing lowered.

Olds442

Reaction score
how many miles are on it? i would think a chain would last a hundred thou or so. no?

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could but I really don't want to. when you take the timing cover off it exposes the head gasket and any scratch of knick on the gasket could turn this into an even bigger repair and I would rather not risk it myself. also I don't have access to a lift and since the car is so low it would be a nightmare since the transmission has to be dropped to access the chain.

Yikes.

sk8rat

Reaction score
That sucks. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that continually shopping around for the lowest possible price usually leads to bigger problems. Guitar techs, contractors, mechanics.
most of the time I agree but in this case there is really no way around this one short of just buying a different car. on these cars, the timing chain needing to be replaced isn't a matter of if but when. so I could have shelled out an extra $3k for one with 20k less miles but I would have needed to do the timing chain regardless. I figured it would be better to get one that is in good condition for cheaper with slightly higher miles and do the chain myself. if this car had already had the timing chain done I would have expected to pay $6k more for it.

also it's kind of a crap shoot. I've heard of people needing to get the chain replaced with 40k miles and people who are near 200k miles and still haven't had an issue.

sk8rat

Reaction score
how many miles are on it? i would think a chain would last a hundred thou or so. no?
145k. like I said above, these are notorious for this issue and it could arise at any milage.

sk8rat

Reaction score
Looks like timing belt labor should be about $900. If a belt, $800.

Perhaps the extra labor hours are due to the tranny needing lowered.
I asked and they said the extra cost was coming from parts they forgot to order. I looked and a full service kit with oem parts it's only $650 for everything. im guessing maybe they wanted to replace the gears (unnecessary) and they are really expensive, about $800 each. but those really only need to be replaced if the teeth break or are really worn out.

the new shop I'm going to told me $1900 for labor and about $400 for parts.

sk8rat

Reaction score
yikes, and you want this car why exactly?
it's somewhat of a rare car. they only made 5000 of them and they only made them two year. 2004 and 2008. it's all wheel drive with a v6 and when I compared to other cars at the same price range, it always came out on top. even with the repairs being close to $3k it will still have been a good price paid over all. also once the repair is done it will be a super solid car. it's just been a nightmare getting it squared away.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

u91lwef_d.jpg

sk8rat

Reaction score
it's not that extensive on this engine. its just two chains, one tensioners and five guide rails. regardless, unless you have the special tools and a lift, it's not the easiest job. also you have to have the finesse to work around delicate parts without breaking them.

Latest Threads