New Car Day...slowest one ever!

LP121

Reaction score
I don't like it. :laugh2:

J/K

At my old shop, we had 2 cabooses come in for restoration. They were supposed to be used on a couple runs to house the relief crew. Found out it wasn't gonna work for whatever reason.

Now they just sit. Rusting to the rail.

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
that is bad ass.
The assembly process was really interesting. Setting the crane correctly and knowing all of it's limitations is real important. The caboose body weighs 22,000 lbs. The crane was 90 ton capacity.When he told me that, it seemed like serious overkill. The operator laid everything out and for as far as the crane had to reach out it drops lifting capacity quickly. To make it more challenging for the operator, he was set up almost under a 200 year old hickory tree. We only had to trim off a couple of small branches. These guys that do this kind of work are impressive; I don't think the word *oops* exists in their vocabulary.
cab_07.jpg

Last edited:

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
Now the real challenge... I've been thinking about how to do the interior and something like a very highend smoking car comes to mind. Nice selection of cigars..cognac.. A place to solve the problems of the world!
smoking.jpg

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's the interior size? Thinking it may be a little more narrow than she might be envisioning for a traditional Pullman lounge car.
I like the idea of wood floors, less fabric.
Helps reduce the issues of environmental control/humidity/mold.
And if you are going to use it as a cigar lounge, carpet is a bad idea.

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
How's the interior size? Thinking it may be a little more narrow than she might be envisioning for a traditional Pullman lounge car.
I like the idea of wood floors, less fabric.
Helps reduce the issues of environmental control/humidity/mold.
And if you are going to use it as a cigar lounge, carpet is a bad idea.
The interior is about 25'l x 8'w. I agree about the carpeting. More than likely it's going to be hardwood flooring

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is awesome! There were two B&M cabooses sitting on a siding that eventually became just a short section of static track about 20 miles from where I grew up and were there for over 30 years:

I always wanted to buy one and do this exact kind of thing but never pulled the trigger. They're long gone now. Congrats!

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife wants interior pics!
Told her it probably looks like a 1975 factory break room :rofl:

Latest Threads