New cab "Marshall MX112" & Speaker swap.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Hi,
I decided to order ext, cabinet for my Marshall SL5 combo, and I ended up to choose "Marshall MX112" cap. I also order Celestion vintage 30 speaker for the cab, because SL5 have it and it sounds so nice. Problem with SL5 and ext cabinet was that SL5 have only two output, one for 16ohms and one for 8ohms cabinet which can not be used at the same time. Solution was "Palmer Passive Cabinet Merger", which seems to be very solid and quality product. Must say, the new setup sounds excellent! :slash:

My new Marshall MX112.

Stock "Celestion Seventy 80" swap to "Celestion Vintage30".

Palmer "CAB M" Passive Cabinet Merger

Last check with multimeter, looks good for 8ohms output!

Ready for Rock! :slash:

Ian1916

Reaction score
- not easy to articulate but could you describe the difference in sound, - I am thinking of doing a similar thing on my sons speaker cab.

Tommy71

Reaction score
- not easy to articulate but could you describe the difference in sound, - I am thinking of doing a similar thing on my sons speaker cab.
How would i describe it,, it just sound "bigger", "fuller", with 2 x 12 speaker. One thing i'll also noticed. My pedalboard sound like to be less noicy, now when using 8ohms output instead of 16ohms. which is also good ofcourse.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone want to build their own 'cab merger', just follow Big John's diagram. Instead of wiring to two speakers, just complete the job by attaching to two jacks. The whole job will be less than $10.

RUBEN ESTEVES

Reaction score
No need for a box to run that cab parallel. Just daisy-chain another 8 ohm cab to it and run at 4 ohms.
Hi! thank you for your reply.
I am trying to explain better what i need.

i need to copy the idea of Tommy71, i have the same marshall sl5, y want to have an ADDITIONAL cabinet, this cabinet might be 1X12 MINI RECTO® STRAIGHT CABINET, you can find this on this link:
http://mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/rectifier-series/1x12-mini-recto-straight.html#weight-and-dimensions

So in this case i have the internal speaker of my SL5 (16 ohms) and the other speaker from the MINI RECTO cabinet (8 ohms)

is it possible to have the two of them (speakers) playing at the same time (even if they have different ohms?)? my doubt is obviously because they have different ohms (16 ohms and 8 ohms) and the marshall combo only have two outputs (16 ohms and 8 ohms) that CANNOT be used at the same time.

If the answer is YES: do i need to use the 8 ohms output or the 16 ohms output?

the other questions is: how should i have to connect them?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hi! thank you for your reply.
I am trying to explain better what i need.

i need to copy the idea of Tommy71, i have the same marshall sl5, y want to have an ADDITIONAL cabinet, this cabinet might be 1X12 MINI RECTO® STRAIGHT CABINET, you can find this on this link:
http://mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/rectifier-series/1x12-mini-recto-straight.html#weight-and-dimensions

So in this case i have the internal speaker of my SL5 (16 ohms) and the other speaker from the MINI RECTO cabinet (8 ohms)

is it possible to have the two of them (speakers) playing at the same time (even if they have different ohms?)? my doubt is obviously because they have different ohms (16 ohms and 8 ohms) and the marshall combo only have two outputs (16 ohms and 8 ohms) that CANNOT be used at the same time.

If the answer is YES: do i need to use the 8 ohms output or the 16 ohms output?

the other questions is: how should i have to connect them?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Hi Reuben

In order to make this work for you, you need a extension cab with a speaker at 16 ohms. Then just plug the ext. ca into the 16ohm ext. speaker output jack on your SL5 and you can run both speakers.

In order to pair speakers, the impedance (ohms) must be the same. If you wish to use an 8ohm speaker, you can use the 8ohm output on the SL5, but make sure you disconnect the internal speaker first.

RUBEN ESTEVES

Reaction score
Hi Reuben

In order to make this work for you, you need a extension cab with a speaker at 16 ohms. Then just plug the ext. ca into the 16ohm ext. speaker output jack on your SL5 and you can run both speakers.

In order to pair speakers, the impedance (ohms) must be the same. If you wish to use an 8ohm speaker, you can use the 8ohm output on the SL5, but make sure you disconnect the internal speaker first.
thank you!,

Latest Threads