New Build, This Time its Personal

ejendres

Reaction score
Building myself a 24" scale guitar. Swamp ash body, roasted maple neck and ziracote fretboard. Big thanks to pshupe for sourcing the cutting the fretboard. Its gonna be super rad.

Using my buddy's CNC to rough out the body and some templates. He's Z axis is to short to properly route the body but it was enough to get started.

Neck

Neck roughed out and body routes deepened with a forsner bit

I used the 3D printer at work to make a drill guide for the truss rod access

This is the part where I make the first big mistake. The first fretboard I used had a little bit of bow in it along the short side. It shouldn't have been an issue to clamp out, but I got a little over excited and pulled the clamps early. This allowed the fretboard to pop back into its bowed state and destroy the joint. So I had to pull that fretboard. Luckily I had a spare :lol:

Fretboard pulled off

Neck cleaned

New fretboard bound

Glued up

Next up, finishing the neck

Next I deepened all the body routes to their correct depths and added the neck mounting holes/carve

Round over added. Now I just have to sand. So much sanding.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looking really sharp. whose binding did you use on that fretboard. looks great.

ARandall

Reaction score
That will be an interesting pickup combo for sure. Not that you don't have to make sure of matching strength etc in any other combo, but you will really have to get your choice right there.

archey

Reaction score
@ejendres Very cool! What's your opinion on the Shapeoko? I'm considering buying the xl.

Last edited:

ejendres

Reaction score
@ejendres Very cool! What's your opinion on the Shapeoko? I'm considering buying the xl.
It worked nicely, but like I said in the OP there really isn't the Z axis you'd need to use for guitar building IMO.

More progress! I did the bulk of the sanding before I took these pics but there isn't really anything fun to show from that process.

Tremolo centered in the route and holes drilled. I pushed the bridge all the way to one side, laid down a piece of tape on the edge of the trem, repeated the process for the far side and then eye balled it center.

I used a 3D printed fixture on my Dremel to remove the fret tangs. It worked very nicely. I still had to do a little hand filing to clean up the tang but it made the job so much quicker and easier.

Fret ends cleaned up.

Packing it up tonight and shipping it out to my buddy to get a full nitro paint job. Ocean Turquoise. Gonna be so sexy.