New build. Single cut design.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Chris, who did you get the inlay from?

On a bridge note, I just noticed the Hipshot Tone a matic bridge today. It's lower profile than a standard ToM, and reasonably priced for the bridge and tailpiece. I may have to go with that on my next build.

As always, top quality work, my friend!

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, who did you get the inlay from?

On a bridge note, I just noticed the Hipshot Tone a matic bridge today. It's lower profile than a standard ToM, and reasonably priced for the bridge and tailpiece. I may have to go with that on my next build.

As always, top quality work, my friend!

Thanks! I still have some details to wrap up on this guy.

Proper pickup rings. These are actually for another axe and dont fit perfectly.
Unbleached bone nut, I still have to make one
My usual inlayed trussrod cover with my logo in matching paua.

Lacquer (nitro), of course. Blue to black burst like the one I did for my son.

I get my inlays from DePaule (www.luthiersupply.com) because I'm too lazy to cut my own pearl. :)

hlggigcghhdgdheh.jpg

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, work kind of ground to a halt for a couple weeks because the temp in my shop was unbearable AND it was a colossal mess.

Yesterday I spent a few hours and dealt with the mess, and did one thing
on the guitar. The last thing before final sanding and finishing.

Truss rod cover...

As with my previous, its a nice piece of ebony with my logo inlaid. This time in paua abalone to match the fretboard.

Probably 2 weeks and ill shoot lacquer and then the obligatory wait for it to harden, then sand and buff. As I mentioned before, this will be a blue bursting to black. In the very center the blue will verge on aqua/turquoise.
Should match the inlays really well.

Theres a slight gap here between the nut and cover. This is because the actual nut will be unbleached bone and its wider. It will fit that gap precisely.

paua-cover2.jpg

paua-cover3.jpg

paua-cover4.jpg

KnightroExpress

Reaction score
Man, that abalone is killer. I can't wait to see some finish on this one!

Baylin

Reaction score
Chris, I don't believe that you enjoy guitar building, nope I think you only build stunning guitars out of a desperate need for compliments. :naughty:

Yep, you sir, are nothing but a guitar building attention whore! :laugh2:

That abalone is rather nice btw...

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you only build stunning guitars out of a desperate need for compliments. :naughty:

Yep, you sir, are nothing but a guitar building attention whore! :laugh2:

Once I lost my youthful good looks I needed a different solution, then one day I accidentally stumbled upon The Luthiers Corner and an idea dawned on me....

charisjapan

Reaction score
Once I lost my youthful good looks I needed a different solution, then one day I accidentally stumbled upon The Luthiers Corner and an idea dawned on me....

Chris,

Ha! After a boast like that, we all need to see proof of "youthful good looks" ...

:naughty:

cj

charisjapan

Reaction score

Well played, Chris. I won't argue the veracity of your claim here ... but admit that we ALL look more youthful with hair! :thumb:

Here's my "youthful good looks" pic ... supported strongly by my beautiful bride. Historical perspective: this was 1980, a few years after "Shogun" came out. On the way to our wedding in an MG Midget with the top down, a lot of folks thought that Richard Chamberlain had come to Yokohama, lol.

Again, great retort! :)

cj

5587391103_488b9539b6_b.jpg

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well played, Chris. I won't argue the veracity of your claim here ... but admit that we ALL look more youthful with hair! :thumb:

Here's my "youthful good looks" pic ... supported strongly by my beautiful bride. Historical perspective: this was 1980, a few years after "Shogun" came out. On the way to our wedding in an MG Midget with the top down, a lot of folks thought that Richard Chamberlain had come to Yokohama, lol.

Again, great retort! :)

cj

5587391103_488b9539b6_b.jpg

So you watched Shogun and immediately said "Thats it! I'm moving to Japan. Those women are gorgeous!!!"

I had a teacher in high school named Mariko that was pretty hot

charisjapan

Reaction score
So you watched Shogun and immediately said "Thats it! I'm moving to Japan. Those women are gorgeous!!!"

I had a teacher in high school named Mariko that was pretty hot

Moved to Japan with my family when I was 12 years old, but yeah, my first thought WAS, "The girls are gorgeous!" After looking around, five years later I met THAT one, and made the right choice.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, given the top color, I'm having trouble deciding on the color for the back and neck.

The one I just did for my son was opaque black and that looked great with the blue/black burst and cream binding
(FYI this is getting a black burst as well) but I want to be able to see the wood (mahogany) on this one though so a transparent color.
Darker though, not just the natural color. I cant visualize anything thats going to go well with the blue...

Maybe I'll just do black again, but....

My sons is at the bottom...

blue-top21.jpg

22spec-cl19.jpg

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time no speak people. Making an appearance here. Its been long enough that many of you might not remember me, but some of you may recall this build which I had sprayed back in fall 2016. It was intended for my son Chris, and I had just sanded and buffed it out when he died and I never completed it.

Fast forward to 2019, and the Strat I had built for my younger son Jake got all screwed up when his @#$% girlfriend intentionally gouged it all up with a screwdriver in a fit of anger. Last year I took it home and disassembled it, and re-shot the finish on the body.

I had just sanded and buffed out the finish on that Strat, and then just 5 weeks ago on March 30, just over 4 years after his brother, my son Jake also died. Same way as his big brother, from an overdose. He was 27 years old. Actually since Chris was 24 when he died, Jake became the older brother a year after Chris died, but I still think of chris as his big brother. Always will

So, now I have two dead sons, and their two unfinished guitars.

Best thing I can do for them now is finish these and maybe play them in my sons honor. I wish I had done so while they were still living. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, but still

22spec-cl19.jpg

8D8C902C-4847-4177-B4F3-9B75ECF6C889.jpeg

Last edited:

Kennoyce

Reaction score
Long time no speak people. Making an appearance here. Its been long enough that many of you might not remember me, but some of you may recall this build which I had sprayed back in fall 2016. It was intended for my son Chris, and I had just sanded and buffed it out when he died and I never completed it.

Fast forward to 2019, and the Strat I had built for my younger son Jake got all screwed up when his @#$% girlfriend intentionally gouged it all up with a screwdriver in a fit of anger. Last year I took it home and disassembled it, and re-shot the finish on the body.

I had just sanded and buffed out the finish on that Strat, and then just 5 weeks ago on March 30, just over 4 years after his brother, my son Jake also died. Same way as his big brother, from an overdose. He was 27 years old. Actually since Chris was 24 when he died, Jake became the older brother a year after Chris died, but I still think of chris as his big brother. Always will

Best thing I can do for them now is finish these and maybe play them in my sons honor. I wish I had done so while they were still living. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, but still

22spec-cl19.jpg

So sorry to hear about this Chris, thanks for sharing.

SlingBlader

Reaction score

22spec-cl19.jpg

Chris, I literally have no words. I'm just so sorry. If there is anything that I can do, just let me know.

larryguitar

Reaction score
Damn. I had missed your threads, and enjoyed your builds.

So sorry to hear the reason you haven't been around. :(

Larry

cain61

Reaction score

22spec-cl19.jpg

So sorry for your loss, Chris. I can't imagine the pain. Stick with the forum, and we'll do everything we can to help you through this. We all feel for you.

pshupe

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this Chris. It's people like yourself that make this forum what it is. I still look back fondly at the time we met up at the Philly guitar show. One foot in front of the other my friend. All the best.

Regards Peter.

mistermikev

Reaction score

22spec-cl19.jpg

i most certainly remember you... I've learned a great many things from you. I am floored, had no idea of the kind of family tragedy you've been though. I don't get the sense your are here looking for sympathy, but just wanted to say my heart goes out.

on a lighter note.... lets see some guitars!!!!!!!!! idk if it's me... but can't see any images?

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

22spec-cl19.jpg

Good Lord, Chris. This is terrible.

My most heartfelt condolences, brother.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Latest Threads