New build question.

Kody

Reaction score
I know the old saying “ if you have to ask how much it costs, you probably can’t afford it!”

But I still am quite interested how much luthiers( ballpark price) charge to build a 59 burst replica? I just watched Freddy’s series on the tube of him building the bursts and it really made me want one for myself.

Sorry for the rookie question gents but I would appreciate some advice or if you’re a builder feel free to PM me and maybe we can get something started!

Thanks!

rykus

Reaction score
Depends on the builder... I'd say 2500-3500 for an unknown luthier who was capable with tool to build up a good les paul style out of decent wood.The more specific and vintage correct the more it would cost imo.

The guys that "build" specific guitars usually have a wait list, codes of conduct and are 4x the cost. That being said they have special tools and wood , but more importantly knowledge and experience to build very accurate and high quality examples that command a much greater resale value on top of tone/playability.

The best time to buy is in the first few years when the luthier has spent enough time perfecting the build and accumulating some good wood, before they get a crazy wait list and end up raising prices when the wait time makes resale sometimes 2 or 3x what they charge and people are making more money reselling theirs than they do making them lol.

Good luck imo it is a great option and getting better the more new builders find their niche.

ARandall

Reaction score
A really accurate one from someone who is using all the right bits is probably quite a bit more than a reissue from Gibson. Especially if aging is also part of the brief.

I'll add Freddy G and Ex Nihilo to the list of top-end builders who hang out here capable of the highest quality work.

Kody

Reaction score
I know quality doesn’t come cheap, at the same time though, I’m hoping there are builders out there who can deliver an amazing product who don’t try to make their retirement money off every client lol.

Kody

Reaction score
We all know There’s people in every profession who over charge. Not saying it’s anyone here.

Last edited:

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A really accurate one from someone who is using all the right bits is probably quite a bit more than a reissue from Gibson. Especially if aging is also part of the brief.

I'll add Freddy G and Ex Nihilo to the list of top-end builders who hang out here capable of the highest quality work.

Maybe you should ask them if they would build a replica for "quite a bit more" than US$6500 (Can$8200) - the cost of the first 1959 Gibson re-issue that I googled. Let's add a couple K for the "quite a bit more " US$8500 (Can$10k) I'm thinking the answer would be "hell yes"! You'd probably get a brazilian board for that and probably a few other goodies that Gibson does not do on those re-issues.

I'll cobble something together for about half of that price! :naughty:

Regards Peter.

PS - let's assume there would be no trademark infringement. ;-)

Last edited:

Kody

Reaction score
Just to clear the air...I’m not looking for handouts, I don’t mind paying for quality. Just need some ballpark estimate prices for a 59 replica. No I don’t want a Gibson logo however, I would prefer the open book headstock because anything else just looks wonky to me hahah.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know quality doesn’t come cheap, at the same time though, I’m hoping there are builders out there who can deliver an amazing product who don’t try to make their retirement money off every client lol.

What do you do for a living? Any potential clients thing you charge too much? Do you think you are overpaid and gouging your employer?

It's supply and demand. You pay a premium to work with a premium builder. You are paying for their reputation and the final product. If you want a discount price. It may work out but it may not. Pretty much like anything else you buy.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clear the air...I’m not looking for handouts, I don’t mind paying for quality. Just need some ballpark estimate prices for a 59 replica. No I don’t want a Gibson logo however, I would prefer the open book headstock because anything else just looks wonky to me hahah.

Do you want it fully completed with parts and vintage checked finish? That finish alone will cost about $1000. I just picked up a few sets of parts for a couple of replica builds and high end parts alone could run you about $1000 - $1500. I'll ballpark about $4500 for someone like me to build a replica. Take that for what you will. LOL.

Regards Peter.

Last edited:

Kody

Reaction score
Do you want it fully completed with parts and vintage checked finish? That finish alone will cost about $1000. I just picked up a few sets of parts for a couple of replica builds and high end parts alone could run you about $1000 - $1500. I'll ballpark about $4500 for someone like me to build a replica. Take that for what you will. LOL.

Regards Peter.
What do you do for a living? Any potential clients thing you charge too much? Do you think you are overpaid and gouging your employer?

It's supply and demand. You pay a premium to work with a premium builder. You are paying for their reputation and the final product. If you want a discount price. It may work out but it may not. Pretty much like anything else you buy.

Cheers Peter.
. Maybe you missed the part where I said I have no problem for paying for quality but not paying my life savings...geez people can be so condescending...

And I’m in the Army for a living so I don’t charge people for anything lol

Aged finish and parts isn’t a major concern but if I did I would want more of a broken in look as opposed to heavy relic. And 4500 is a great price in my opinion.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like it fully completed
Wasn't meant to be condescending but suggesting you want to work with someone that is not going to gouge you on price might not be the best way to start.

Where are you located? You may want to find someone at least in the same country, especially if you are looking for a brazilian rosewood fret board.

Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top tier replica builders routinely get $8-10K. One of the big (current) names in replicas passed away last year...I can only imagine what you’d have to pay to get one now.

$4,500 would be quite a value IMO

Kody

Reaction score
I don’t need anyone world famous. I know there are people here who have made some stellar instruments that can rival even the Gibson Custom shop.

ARandall

Reaction score
I don’t need anyone world famous. I know there are people here who have made some stellar instruments that can rival even the Gibson Custom shop.
You'd be aiming low to compete with the Custom shop.
Fair to say Gibson reissues don't come close to the minutiae involved in a real 50's replica.

Kody

Reaction score
Judging from the build threads of read here you are most definitely correct!

Latest Threads