New Bare Knuckle Pickups (X2) Arrived

capt_goodvibes

Reaction score
Just recieved the 2 sets of Bare Knuckle Pickups for my CherryBurst Orville By Gibson and Honeyburst Orville.

For the Orville By Gibson Cherryburst I got a set of open poled "Riff Raff" Zebra for the Bridge,
Bare Knuckle Pickups, North Devon, UK - Hand Wound Guitar Pickups

and a open poled "The Mule" Reversed Zebra for the neck

I also put in a complete wiring Harness from Jonesy, (Thanks Jonesy)

166iqrn.jpg

24pjn5s.jpg

And for the Orville Honeyburst I put in a set of Bare Knuckle Callibrated engraved covers "The Mule"

And a Vintage wiring Harness from RSguitarworks

dmflo6.jpg

11rulhd.jpg

Email from Tim at Bare Knuckle to me

Hi,
Original '59 LPs had PAF humbuckers fitted and the closest we make to that is The Mule set.

I've been lucky enough to work on Jimmy Page's No.1 LP and I can safely say that a Riff Raff bridge and Mule neck accurately reproduce the tone of that guitar (it's what I use in my '59 clone) and would be perfect for the classic blues rock tones you're after.

Fitting a cover to a humbucker warms the bottom and high end ever so slightly. It is a subtle but audible difference. An open coil humbucker has more presence in the high end by comparison.

kindest regards

Tim

joeobrien

Reaction score
Congrats!

I have Mules (neck and bridge) in my LP Studio and they are great - particularly the neck. I also fitted Irish Tours in my Strat with a complete wiring/pots/caps/pickguard unit and the result is also good. Best thing about BKP is the personal service. I couldn't pretend to be a world expert on pickups but the Mule in neck position is pretty damn perfect for a thick, rich and warm tone with good sustain even on clean.

Enjoy!

Starrman

Reaction score
I'm surprised we don't hear more about the Bare Knuckles here.....The guy does a great job, and put's out some killer PU's. I regret selling my Mule's.

darrenw5094

Reaction score
I have Mules in my Bacchus Les Paul Goldtop. Great punch and clarity from them.

I think the reason that not many use, is because they are fairly expensive compared to SD or Dimarzio etc.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
There's a great clip on YouTube with Stowburst jamming some Mules.

Latest Threads