New Band Day. (Band Drama thread no 3,435)

The_Sentry

Reaction score
It's been a while, MLP, but I've been busy with music. So, at least I've been away doing something that's forum approved. :)

I never saw this one coming.

For the past year I've been in this band called Love Knuckle. A power trio with 2 other guys who although didn't have spectacular chops and a penchant for getting loaded before rehearsals and shows, I stuck with for over a year. We played some gigs. Mostly for empty rooms. Mostly for reduced wages.

I honestly thought I was the problem, I was at fault, and I wasn't a good enough frontman/singer. We tried another singer...he bailed after a few weeks.

So, last month the bass player tells me he'll be out half the month of October on vacation. That's cool. Free time, right?

Well, right around the same time another friend (drummer) I was working with on a side project called me, told me his band imploded and that he still had dates he wanted to keep. (They had drama of their own. Long story short: The guitarist was amazing but he had a penchant for too many drugs and had a mental disorder. The singer was a D bag and they both went by the wayside when the replacement guitarist quit. The singer who wanted to do country music quit soon afterward.) He asked if I could play guitar and sing. I agreed since I didn't have anything booked, and nothing going on with the other band.

I agree to do the shows as a fill-in and drag another friend along with me as a rhythm player. Honestly I expected the same result as I did with the other band: A couple of gigs for empty rooms, and balking at paying the band.

Nope.

When this band which had only 2 rehearsals took the stage, it surpassed my old band. It wasn't the complexity of the songs, either. It was the musicians collectively and the fact that everyone showed up to do a job. These guys are all pretty serious too: The drummer used to tour professionally, the bass player..I don't know where he's from, but I've never in my 30+years as a player jammed with anyone better...and the other guitar player still has an insane amount of ties with producers, agents, and businesses all over the state through his association with CBS and Bill Graham.

So we play a good show. We get invited back to the club a second week and we play another good show.

The current bandmates in Love Knuckle show up. They weren't too thrilled, but no one could argue that the band collectively killed it. Neverthless, I told the guys in this other band I was staying. I'd be stupid not to.

Now I have a conundrum: I don't need 2 cover bands. I'm about to tell the first band Love Knuckle that we need to change direction or I'll probably end up walking. What I've learned from and was reminded by with the experience over the past year with Love Knuckle:

1. If you want to be a pro, be treated like a pro, and get paid like a pro: ACT like a pro. Don't get stoned out of your gourd or drunk off your ass and expect to make high dollars for gigging or have great shows. What one CAN expect is one empty room after the next and repeatedly thanking Bobby for coming out to a show and other bandmates who are frustrated over your ass performance.

2. Songs tend to speed up and slow down live. That's the nature of the beast. No song should be twice as fast as when it started if the part wasn't written that way.

3. Harmonizing is fine, and a good harmony is a good harmony. But if you are continually ad libbing harmonies or searching for harmonies over every single chorus...all it amounts to is someone singing out of key. (This has become a huge pet peeve of mine.) Some songs also don't have harmonies for a reason. Don't stick one there if there's no call for it.

4. Don't whine about gigs or a lack of gigs if you're not, or you don't have the ability to book anything.

5. Don't browbeat someone or lose your cool onstage. There's a time and place for that: In front of the audience is NOT it.

These are things no one should do...but it's been an MO with that band for a while. I had almost forgotten what it was like to deal with pros.

So anyway...yet another band will move on without me or bite the dust. A lot of MLP forum members that have replied to these threads have stated straight up: If your bandmates are abusing substances, it's practically a wasted effort unless you are content to stay in the garage.

I'm not. I'm glad I found others who can go a bit further.

Peace.

LarryInTexas

Reaction score
Sounds like you already know what you should do - dump the first group and stick with the 2nd. If the 'chemistry' is there right from the start, that is a good and rare thing. Some of us never find such a situation. Go with it and have fun.

leoslp

Reaction score
If it aint fun, then why bother. If you jell, then it should work. If not, then there are a zillion others out there looking to start a band and its just a matter of finding the right fit.

Any chemical influences, either booze or drugs when taken far beyond moderation will effect the outcome. I'm no saint and to each their own. I've been witness to this more than I would ever thought I would. I had a really good friend who was as talented as anyone could want. She can sing anything and play at least 25 instruments with confidence. Mainly a guitar player, but always seemed to be on bass, as every boyfriend(revolving door) she brought into the band ended up playing guitar too. I was the manager for a short time. I gave up because all she would do at every rehearsal would be to work out a couple songs and then pull out a huge bag of weed and get stoned. I finally had enough and saw where they were going...nowhere and told them this wasn't worth my time.

That was 15-16 years ago. We didn't remain friends after that. Now just acquaintances at best. I just saw her a month ago and she's still doing the same. She holds an Ivy League masters degree that should get her any job she could ever want and is still has amazing musical skills and could be one of the best soul or country singers in the US. But cant hold a job for more than a few months to a year. Typical starving artist. Still jumps from bed to bed with other musicians...now adds woman to the bed jumping, but its still always other stoner hippy musicians like herself.

Must be quite a life. :applause:

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
Nice Sentry

New band sounds like a plan.

Now push it.........hard.
Play gigs.....lots of them.
Get the name out.
Get the reputation out there.

And like the hippie told the tourist in New York, who asked "How do I get to Carnegie Hall ?"

"Practice man, practice"

:)

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a really good friend who was as talented as anyone could want. She can sing anything and play at least 25 instruments with confidence. Mainly a guitar player, but always seemed to be on bass, as every boyfriend(revolving door) she brought into the band ended up playing guitar too. I was the manager for a short time. I gave up because all she would do at every rehearsal would be to work out a couple songs and then pull out a huge bag of weed and get stoned. I finally had enough and saw where they were going...nowhere and told them this wasn't worth my time.

That was 15-16 years ago. We didn't remain friends after that. Now just acquaintances at best. I just saw her a month ago and she's still doing the same. She holds an Ivy League masters degree that should get her any job she could ever want and is still has amazing musical skills and could be one of the best soul or country singers in the US. But cant hold a job for more than a few months to a year. Typical starving artist. Still jumps from bed to bed with other musicians...now adds woman to the bed jumping, but its still always other stoner hippy musicians like herself.

But is she hot? :naughty:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If the guys in Love Knuckle don't get your points 1-5 now, they probably never will, unfortunately...

Their motivation to play out may be much different than yours, in terms of acting professionally. Some guys get into a cover band for fun, to get F-ed up, play out once in awhile, not care how they sound... Those guys aren't for you!

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
If it aint fun, then why bother. If you jell, then it should work. If not, then there are a zillion others out there looking to start a band and its just a matter of finding the right fit.

Any chemical influences, either booze or drugs when taken far beyond moderation will effect the outcome. I'm no saint and to each their own. I've been witness to this more than I would ever thought I would. I had a really good friend who was as talented as anyone could want. She can sing anything and play at least 25 instruments with confidence. Mainly a guitar player, but always seemed to be on bass, as every boyfriend(revolving door) she brought into the band ended up playing guitar too. I was the manager for a short time. I gave up because all she would do at every rehearsal would be to work out a couple songs and then pull out a huge bag of weed and get stoned. I finally had enough and saw where they were going...nowhere and told them this wasn't worth my time.

Yeah............I'm needing pictures for this........:thumb:

Lungo

Reaction score
I'd drop the Love Knuckle thing immediately. They never will take it seriously, and giving them ultimatums is a waste of time.

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
If the guys in Love Knuckle don't get your points 1-5 now, they probably never will, unfortunately...

Their motivation to play out may be much different than yours, in terms of acting professionally. Some guys get into a cover band for fun, to get F-ed up, play out once in awhile, not care how they sound... Those guys aren't for you!

Choose the band whose motivations best align with yours. Serious music pro; stoner gigging musician... nothing wrong with either, but you all have to be on the same page. Act accordingly. :cheers:

battra

Reaction score
lǎo​wài;5529999 said:
Choose the band whose motivations best align with yours. Serious music pro; stoner gigging musician... nothing wrong with either, but you all have to be on the same page. Act accordingly. :cheers:

Nothing will be said that's better than this.

As of today, I'm content to kick back a couple beers and play with my buddy...write songs....and he seems to be as well.

Nothing wrong with that.

MooCheng

Reaction score
if love knuck's carnt get there act together by now they probably never will, time to move on
Good Luck

martin H

Reaction score
If you talk to your bandmates, be prepared to be accused of being a "soulless killjoy who sucks all the fun out of playing and needs to just relax and let everyone do their thing"

I one had a business card made that said exactly that. To translate:

Soulless = Does not understand the true extasy of playing while totally drunk and F***ed up, and that this feeling is soo good that nothing else matters, especially the audience

Killjoy = Objects to one hour out of a of two an a half hour rehersal being used to smoke dope in back room. Requires all musicians to be able to stand at the end of rehersal

sucks all the fun out of playing = objects to wasting 30 minutes of remaining rehersal time on a "blues Jam" to let people get "warmed up." Insists that rehersal is for practicing difficults parts of songs and arrangements not playing the easy parts that sound good over and over again

needs to just relax = needs to quit bitching just because:
(1) bass player shows up an hour late to gig becaue of "heavy situation" with girlfriend;
(2) Guitarist shows up without effects pedals ( "I thought they were in the bag")
(3) Two minutes before contract says band is to start playing, singer disappears for 30 minutes
(4) Guitarist declares that "this is a rock and roll club, it must be ok to smoke dope in the dressing room" shortly before entire band is ejected without pay.

let everyone do their thing = allows member of band with profound depression to have veto power over everthing he doesn't like, which is just about everything different from the current set.

Be prepared

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
(...)
Now I have a conundrum:
(...)
Peace.

Had to google that!

• A confusing and difficult problem or question.
  • A question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle.
I'll answer the way of number 2.
Now that you have a conundrum, be a conunguitar and it should be a perfect match!

On another note (pun):

Move on!
:D

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry no pics of her. But if you think of Scarlet Johansson in her Lost in Translation role...then add braids, you'll be 99% there. Body and face, they could have been separated at birth.

So she's hot, freaky, and wants to have fun? And pulls out a giant bag of weed at rehearsals?

...I gotta find this chick! :applause:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Be prepared

I am.

I've already decided I'm going to quit the Love Knuckle band...in person, to their faces. They can do with it what they will. If they want to get ugly, fine...if not...and if they're wise...they'll let me go amicably and the music rolls on.

I'm prepared for either.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If they're adults, they wont get mad...

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If they were adults they wouldn't be musicians.

:D

Latest Threads