New backplate for Norlin LP Custom

keys88

Reaction score
Hey guys, dumb question... will a modern backplate fit a 1974 Custom? Would it have the same shape, dimensions and screw placement?

Some of you may have followed the thread about my 1974 Custom that has Joe Wash's name inside on the backplate. Now that I finally had a chance to talk to him at a signing event I want to frame the backplate along with a photo from the night. I think it would be cool to hang in my office.

BUT... I don't like playing a guitar without a backplate so I want to put a replacement one on. I'm hoping a new one will fit because I don't want to have to do any refitting or drilling. I guess I could try to track down another Norlin era backplate but that seems like a pain in the butt.

msalama

Reaction score
A friend of mine tried it years ago and said it didn't fit. But knowing that guy the backplate could've been anything, so do take this with a pinch of salt please...

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with Philadelphia Luthier.

BACKPLATE CONTROL COVER SET BLACK FOR GIBSON® LES PAUL​

BACKPLATE CONTROL COVER SET BROWN FOR GIBSON® LES PAUL​

keys88

Reaction score
Check with Philadelphia Luthier.
Thanks. I went to their site and it says their backplates are modeled after a 2008 LP and they can’t guarantee it will fit all model years. I can call and ask but I assume they’ll tell me the same thing.

Elrathia

Reaction score
And I should add that I also used Gibson rings, and I can’t remember whether I had to do any fitting to the guard.

Elrathia

Reaction score
Heck. I just realized you said back plate…. Doh! That was the only thing on my 75 that was original. My brain was answering the wrong Question. I put on Gibson pick guard and rings.

keys88

Reaction score
UPDATE - Just in case anyone else stumbles on this thread with the same question, the answer is yes... mostly.

The first plate I found was a chrome plate that someone had on a Norlin-era Deluxe. I bought it because it was the only Norlin plate I could find for not a ridiculous price. But it's bonkers heavy. Since my '74 is already a boat anchor I decided not to use it. So I took a chance and ordered a brand new plastic one off Amazon (Musiclilly back plate for a USA Les Paul, $6).

It fits well enough. There's a bit of a gap on one side, but nobody's ever going to see it and the screw holes lined up almost perfectly. Good enough for me.

plate_01.jpg

plate_02.jpg

On a related note, if anyone wants a used chrome backplate PM me. I spent $30 on it, but give me $20 plus whatever shipping costs and it's yours!

Latest Threads