New Amp Day: Vintage '65 Princeton

jwehrman

Reaction score
I got this beauty just the other day! It's a pre-CBS '65 Princeton Reverb. I believe it's mostly all original - most of the important stuff. It's missing the badge, but oh well.

But gotDAMN is this thing amazing. I was a bit skeptical of going vintage on amps, but my mind changed when I tried out a '67 Vibrolux about a month ago. It had a shimmer and a sparkle that growled beautifully on my historic LP.

I have a hand wired '57 Fender Deluxe Reissue that I've been using with a Strymon Flint; which is kind of an odd mix, but I get some awesome stuff out of it. Both are great, but something was missing.

When I tried out the Vibrolux it was clear the vintage reverb had the "it" factor. It sounded less processed and more organic and alive. I know the sentiment described about vintage is tried and true, and it can't be fully understood until witnessing it with ears and hands. So now I am one of the sheeple.

Anyhow, I decided I was ready to make a vintage purchase. I wanted something economical both in size and power. Did all the typical research and went down all the well worn rabbit holes. I got lucky and found exactly what I wanted online at a great price.

I was a bit nervous, as I've never purchased an amp without playing it. It certainly has not disappointed. It definitely lives up to what I was expecting and then some.

Some have noted the break up on Princetons sounds "ratty". But it seems to be a simple fix by dialing the treble lower, though I do like a bit of sharp bite - like Keith's playing on 'Shake Your Hips'. The best part is the amp finally gives me a reason to use the tone knobs on my LP. I didn't get much use of them using the Deluxe RI. But now I can get all kinds of colors/sounds. I guess 'ole man Bonamassa was right when he said tone knobs are just as effective as certain pedals. This thing rocks!

IMG_7954.jpg

fernieite

Reaction score
Cool, congrats man! :applause:

Btw, does it say Fender Electric or Fender Musical on the faceplate?

JMP

Reaction score
My good friend has a 1965 Princeton Reverb and can concur- they are amazing amplifiers.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAD ASS!!! :p :p:p

CONGRATS!!!

jwehrman

Reaction score
I just had a chance to compare it to the '57 reissue with the Flint and HOLY F^CK does it kick it's ass by 100 miles!!!

rich85

Reaction score
Damn i am jealous. I have only played the 65 and 68 reissue models. The 68 made me cry that I had no money to buy it immediately.

They really do have "that" sound. I can only imagine how good yours sounds. Enjoy!

jwehrman

Reaction score
I'd advise anyone, if they are able to, skip buying a second or third or tenth reissue guitar and buy their dream vintage amp. It will cease chasing the tone dragon ASAP.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, very nice! Looks like it's in great shape, too. You must be psyched.

I had an old PR a few years back, can't remember the exact year - 1964, maybe? I actually sold it to a friend on this forum when I caught Marshall fever. Should have held onto that amp.

Congratulations!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Beautiful! Have fun!
I love those amps.
I wish I could have a vintage Fender blackface amp but prices are really outrageous over here...
My dream amp is a Super Reverb!
One day.. :fingersx:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Congrats, it looks great! I have a 65 Showman head but I had to build a replica cab for it. Some day when I have more room I would really like to add another vintage Fender amp.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool.....congrats!!

Latest Threads