New Amp Day! Marshall Origin 20C (what NAD would be complete without pictures??)

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
Hey folks very happy to say that its new amp day! I've been in a bit of a lull with my playing for the past few months but after getting back into playing more I decided to trade some gear to really get after that sound in my head. With my last band I needed a versatile amp that had good cleans, dirty, and distorted tones that could also keep up with a band without a PA. For these requirements I went with a Blackstar HT40 Club MKII after playing through one a buddy had for rehearsals.The clean tone was killer, but with the dirty tones I could never seem to get it to sound how I wanted. I stuck with it because it was a solidly built amp, and did what I needed it to. Currently I'm not in a band, so I'm just after good tone... that's it, my only requirement! That being said, "the" tone I've had in mind is Clapton's Beano tone. Not only to play blues but that tone could be wonderful in a lot of different types of music! All the recommendations and reviews lead me to the Origin series, and honestly at this point in my playing career anything over 20 watts and more than 1 speaker would be overkill for me as gigging isn't on the radar at the moment. I went to Guitar Center first to see how much they could offer on the Blackstar and a Fender Champion 100 (solid state nothing too special) and they actually exceeded my expectations for their offer so I traded them for the new Marshall.

I have to say the Marshall does have "the" tone I've had in my head for years, it really just needs minor upgrades to really set it apart. Thinking about a JHS Little Black Amp Box for the saturated tube bluesbreaker sound, and a greenback speaker as I'm reading it plays much better with this amp overall. I really don't have critiques on it as I'm pretty satisfied!

So anyway enough talking here are the pics! With my 2018 R8
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dilver

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a lower watt Marshall combo myself. I was looking at the studio vintage but it’s $$$.

congrats!

whatshisname

Reaction score
They are fantastic amps! I'd highly recommend going with the Greenback 10. The swap was simple(thanks to the guidance and assurance of the good people here), and it transformed the amp from "prerty much almost there", to "nailed it!"

rich85

Reaction score
Grab a Tonecity Model M pedal and you will get every Marshall tone there is!

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a lower watt Marshall combo myself. I was looking at the studio vintage but it’s $$$.

congrats!
Thanks! I didn't even know the Studio Vintage was a thing until now, looks pretty sweet if you can justify the money! Truthfully I can't imagine how much closer it would sound like a Bluesbreaker amp over the Origin.

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
They are fantastic amps! I'd highly recommend going with the Greenback 10. The swap was simple(thanks to the guidance and assurance of the good people here), and it transformed the amp from "prerty much almost there", to "nailed it!"
The greenback is definitely next on the list! Do you know what the bar looking thing with grille cloth is that's behind the speaker? It looks easy to remove to replace the speaker, just curious what is

xland

Reaction score
The greenback is definitely next on the list! Do you know what the bar looking thing with grille cloth is that's behind the speaker? It looks easy to remove to replace the speaker, just curious what is
Congratulations! I love mine. I changed out the speaker to a 10" Creamback, sounds great to my ears. The bar things is like a vent, easy to remove for the speaker replacement.

whatshisname

Reaction score
@BeanoFAN That all comes right off. I'll quote the post that helped me. "If the chassis has to come out, just take out the smaller screws on the outer edges of that upper panel. The larger ones are holding the chassis to the panel, you don’t want to take those out. Just take out the four smaller screws, and it should lift right out, you can set it aside while you change the speaker. Make sure to disconnect the speaker before you start yanking the chassis out."

north east al

Reaction score
Great amp. Mine at home has a 8ohm G10 Greenback and I have the JHS black box velcro'd to the top back panel with patch cables into the effect loop. Gain cranked at 20 watt mode and Master at a reasonable level. Lots of lows and I play it in parallel with my Vibrochamp clone. TC Klon clone on front and it sounds awesome at " bedroom level". Good choice sir.
Compress_20211030_202326_6994.jpg

DADDEO

Reaction score
HNAD! Looking at trying one of these out when I get a chance, got some cash that needs spending. Trouble is, I also want another guitar as well.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
My next buy is definitely a Marshall Amp. Daddy's coming home! Origin, DSL, Studio mini super lead or jcm 800, Silver Jubilee... I can't decide! AHHH!!!:rock:

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
Great amp. Mine at home has a 8ohm G10 Greenback and I have the JHS black box velcro'd to the top back panel with patch cables into the effect loop. Gain cranked at 20 watt mode and Master at a reasonable level. Lots of lows and I play it in parallel with my Vibrochamp clone. TC Klon clone on front and it sounds awesome at " bedroom level". Good choice sir.
View attachment 569063
sweet rig, bet it sounds great! I tried the little black amp box thinking I would get that cranked tone at bedroom levels, but that was my misunderstanding apparently. Looking at a Bugera PS1 attenuator, I think that will do what I wanted which is to get that saturated tube tone at the low bedroom levels

BeanoFAN

Reaction score
thank you so much! I‘l
View attachment 569063
ALSO I’m leaning towards getting the G10 speaker, but how do you know wether to get the 8 or 16 ohm? The speaker cable right now is in 16 would 8 give a different tone?

north east al

Reaction score
thank you so much! I‘l

ALSO I’m leaning towards getting the G10 speaker, but how do you know wether to get the 8 or 16 ohm? The speaker cable right now is in 16 would 8 give a different tone?
No, it won't matter one jot. I only put a 8 ohm in as that's what I had lying around. Took it out of a Laney V15 that needed 8 ohm when I sold it. So pre broken in....But 8 or 16, provided you use the right speaker out won't matter. I'd lose volume I think if I put to the 8 in the 16 outlet, but never tried.

Latest Threads