New Amp Day: Hiwatt Little J Rig

peobryant

Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for one of these for a long time and never saw one for sale. A couple of weeks ago I saw one on eBay but it was in Italy, I messaged the seller and asked if it would work in the USA if I used the correct power cord and was told it would be fine. So, I ordered it and it showed up today.

PXL_20210224_212032807.jpg
PXL_20210224_212053145.jpg

Since I bought it, I've been doing a little more research and it turns out in order to play it in the USA, the fuse needs to be changed. I can't find any more information than that, so I'm not plugging it in until I can get some solid facts. I've tried contacting a few amp repair stores in my area, as well as a Hiwatt dealer near here, but so far I'm out of luck. I just sent Hiwatt an email, so I suppose I'll wait to see what they say.

I can't wait to plug it in, I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAD ASS. :p :p :p

Maybe a voltage converter???

I hope you get to play that Beastie soon. Congrats

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for one of these for a long time and never saw one for sale. A couple of weeks ago I saw one on eBay but it was in Italy, I messaged the seller and asked if it would work in the USA if I used the correct power cord and was told it would be fine. So, I ordered it and it showed up today.

View attachment 521647 View attachment 521648

Since I bought it, I've been doing a little more research and it turns out in order to play it in the USA, the fuse needs to be changed. I can't find any more information than that, so I'm not plugging it in until I can get some solid facts. I've tried contacting a few amp repair stores in my area, as well as a Hiwatt dealer near here, but so far I'm out of luck. I just sent Hiwatt an email, so I suppose I'll wait to see what they say.

I can't wait to plug it in, I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

HNAD!

That amp model appears to be quite the unicorn! I've scoured the internet and not been able to find it. Came close with what appears to be a similar model called th "CUSTOM LRJ MkII" and can I assume its powered by EL84s? Is the cabinet 4x10, 2x12 or 1x12? great lookin' little rig!

Nice Score!
Gene

peobryant

Reaction score
HNAD!

That amp model appears to be quite the unicorn! I've scoured the internet and not been able to find it. Came close with what appears to be a similar model called th "CUSTOM LRJ MkII" and can I assume its powered by EL84s? Is the cabinet 4x10, 2x12 or 1x12? great lookin' little rig!

Nice Score!
Gene
Yeah, this seems to be a pretty rare amp. I've been in contact with Hiwatt and was told there seems to have been between 50-100 made and they've stopped making them for now since they were never officially endorsed by Jimmy Page. The Little J is supposed to be a recreation of the Hiwatts he used with Zeppelin between late '69 to mid to late '71.

It is powered by EL84s and ECC83s. The cab is a 1x12.

I dropped the amp off to a tech today, Hiwatt says the amp should be set for 230V now, and it will need to be changed to 12V. Hopefully, that can be done fairly quickly.

Kenshi

Reaction score
Yeah, this seems to be a pretty rare amp. I've been in contact with Hiwatt and was told there seems to have been between 50-100 made and they've stopped making them for now since they were never officially endorsed by Jimmy Page. The Little J is supposed to be a recreation of the Hiwatts he used with Zeppelin between late '69 to mid to late '71.

It is powered by EL84s and ECC83s. The cab is a 1x12.

I dropped the amp off to a tech today, Hiwatt says the amp should be set for 230V now, and it will need to be changed to 12V. Hopefully, that can be done fairly quickly.
Sometimes it's just a simple switching of the input taps on the power transformer to switch from 240 > 120 VAC. If not, a new Pt may be required. Your amp tech will sort it out. A lot of the old Marshalls had a plug on the back that could be moved to engage the correct taps on the PT to switch (mighty handy, eh?)

74JMP

Reaction score
My old DR 103 has a switch, seems a mistake they did not do that. There is a Hiwatt FB page that is ok, not as much detail as the Huss page but they include all eras, might be worth your while.

peobryant

Reaction score
So I got my amp back today and I've been able to play it for about an hour or so and I'm seriously impressed. I bought it to try to get close to Jimmy's early live tone, and man does it deliver. I'll have more impressions later, but I'm extremely happy with the amp so far.

el84ster

Reaction score
That is one of the coolest amps I’ve seen in a while.
Nice!!

Latest Threads