New Amp Day: Carr Mercury V

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cherry, how does it compare to the non “V” version?
Quite favorably indeed. The V is certainly LOUDER (2 6V6 vs 1 KT66) and has a wider tonal palette, and a superior attenuator. Definitely more gain on tap in the V--in fact, with the settings I am using, gain setting 2 is perfect; 3 might be a little over the top. And when attenuated, the tone stack is not defeated like in the original.

BUT, the original Mercury is no slouch at all, and has nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it was my absolute keeper, unti the V happened along.

Both have no master volume and fantastic attenuators, in order to utilize power tube distortion rather than preamp distortion. Both have a very very warm sound. Both are British flavored, and both have nice reverts (spring, I'm pretty sure).

I'm probably gonna (sic) sell the Original to help pay for the V. Probably at a nice point to be an intro to someone lucky to the world of Carr, while also allowing for minimal loss if he/she wants to flip it--"rent money" so to speak (using @frankv 's terminology :cheers2: ).

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Youuu Baaastaaard! You got me hangin' out for mine again, and it's still 2 months away
:thumb: Brown Gator comin' here Image result for carr mercury v brown gator
Here now, and worth every minute of the wait :yesway: Tone Team pic
fzlJ4EV.jpg

vintagecharlie

Reaction score
@cherrysunburst00 Sorry for reviving this old thread, but i am looking for someone with the experience with a Friedman PT-20 and a Mercury V and i just saw that you used to own a PT-20 before the Mercury V. Did you have a chance to compare both directly?

I know the Mercury V is way more versatile, as i think it can do a similar thing to the PT-20 once it is set on the series switch, which makes it similarily dark/smooth.

I got a used Mercury V for a good price, but am wondering, if i am missing out on anything that the PT-20 could do. I mostly live in dirty rock tones, like my cleans dirty too. I also like the semi dirty cleans when the Mercury is set on series. So if that's the one gig of the PT-20, maybe it does this one trick even better than the Mercury V?

Also the Mercury V seems to have quite a bit more low-end available and some of that (when on parallel setting) seems not to be possible to dial out. That's my only small complaint about it, but other than that it might just be my all time favorite amp - i like it way more than all of my classic big amps - like the compression and smoothness of it.

Thanks for any input!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cherrysunburst00 Sorry for reviving this old thread, but i am looking for someone with the experience with a Friedman PT-20 and a Mercury V and i just saw that you used to own a PT-20 before the Mercury V. Did you have a chance to compare both directly?

I know the Mercury V is way more versatile, as i think it can do a similar thing to the PT-20 once it is set on the series switch, which makes it similarily dark/smooth.

I got a used Mercury V for a good price, but am wondering, if i am missing out on anything that the PT-20 could do. I mostly live in dirty rock tones, like my cleans dirty too. I also like the semi dirty cleans when the Mercury is set on series. So if that's the one gig of the PT-20, maybe it does this one trick even better than the Mercury V?

Also the Mercury V seems to have quite a bit more low-end available and some of that (when on parallel setting) seems not to be possible to dial out. That's my only small complaint about it, but other than that it might just be my all time favorite amp - i like it way more than all of my classic big amps - like the compression and smoothness of it.

Thanks for any input!
No worries, sorry I just saw this.

SO, I moved the PT-20 head on (although I now have a PT-20 Combo, which I recently changed the speaker on to a Creamback 10").

I only use overdrive, never clean.

I'd say that the PT is more in the modded JCM 800 territory. It's phenomenal at low (household) volumes. It has the 3 position switch as well.

I think that the Mercury V is more versatile (and sounds "better" to my ear). It too can get some pretty heavy overdrive (as you no doubt have seen) and It's a 112 combo, vs a 10" combo or a head/cab setup. Also, the PT-20 gets a lot of its tone from the preamp, whereas the Carr gets it from the power section (no master, but that attenuator is the best i've yet seen).

The sound dynamics are much more pleasing to my ear from the Carr. More rich to my ear.

To me, the Carr does everything better.

If I could only have 1, it would be the Carr, hands-down. No contest.

Latest Threads