New Amp Day: Carl's Custom Vintage

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOLY CRIMINY!!! As @JMP and @mudface can attest to, Carl's Custom Amps are AMAZING, which doesn't surprise me; Carl is very very precise; was that way as a student in high school too.

SO, Today, I took delivery of my Vintage 12 today (a variation of the Vintage 7, whose info is below):

• So, instead of an EL84, Mine has a single EL34, taking it from 7 to 12 watts.
  • I also asked Carl to install PowerScaling, and it is truly amazing. Carl added a Limit knob that works in conjunction with PowerScaling; this is the first time I've ever seen that knob, and it really improves the circuitry. Tremendously.
  • Not surprisingly, Carl is very well read on Kevin O'Connor. Carl had the following to say: AS the power tube's power output is reduced the tube or tubes become more sensitive to input signals and the limit knob limits that signal so that it continues to stay natural sounding. If you try to not have a limit knob you either have some very unnatural sounds when the power is turned down or the designer has to make the power knob have less of a power reduction range.
  • I have had at least 4 other PowerScaled amps and I am sold on the approach if it's used correctly; this iteration from Carl with the Limit knob makes a H U G E difference
  • JTM and JMP all day long, quiet enough that you can literally hear the pick hitting the strings.
  • No Master Volume (not needed with PowerScaling) so it is sweet power overdrive.
  • The Volume does have a boost, which to my ear takes it more into JMP range than JTM
I'm almost certainly going to hit Carl up for some iteration of a JCM 800.

GOSH, how i LOVE TUBE AMPS

OK, enough yacking:

Carls Custom1.JPG

Carls Custom2.JPG

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats for finally joining the club amigo....Carl can build an awesome amp.... enjoy in good health.:applause:

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, nice, he has a super informative website, talks about his build philosophy.
He's straight up honest too: told me once that guys will bring him amps to fix on the cheap so that they can flip em.

He gives them a choice: repairing it correctly, or please go elsewhere.

JMP

Reaction score
Wowzer! Congratulations! I’m looking forward to hearing more about your new amp after you’ve lived with it a while.
Yup, Carl is straight up and honest! He’s the real deal.

JMP

Reaction score
@cherrysunburst00 I absolutely need to BUMP this! I’m anxiously awaiting details and your current thoughts on the sweet new tube amp!!!

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cherrysunburst00 I absolutely need to BUMP this! I’m anxiously awaiting details and your current thoughts on the sweet new tube amp!!!
It has a really nice tone to it. To my ear, it sounds JTMish and then with the boost engaged, it sounds more JMPish. Really very happy with this one.

Carl's implementation of the PowerScaling (with the Limit pot) is really sweet. No master volume, so it's power tube overdrive (EL34 goodness). An added benefit of power scaling is that it prolongs tube life.

Cathode-biased, so no need to rebias.

I HIGHLY recommend Carl. IN FACT, I'm going to talk to him later about building a JCM 800 with modded boost; @mudface has the British Custom which is juiced up 800, Right Muddy?

I've also got Ben Fargen building me a combo. I guess I'm a gonna have me a nice little collection of M. inspired amps.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has a really nice tone to it. To my ear, it sounds JTMish and then with the boost engaged, it sounds more JMPish. Really very happy with this one.

Carl's implementation of the PowerScaling (with the Limit pot) is really sweet. No master volume, so it's power tube overdrive (EL34 goodness). An added benefit of power scaling is that it prolongs tube life.

Cathode-biased, so no need to rebias.

I HIGHLY recommend Carl. IN FACT, I'm going to talk to him later about building a JCM 800 with modded boost; @mudface has the British Custom which is juiced up 800, Right Muddy?

I've also got Ben Fargen building me a combo. I guess I'm a gonna have me a nice little collection of M. inspired amps.
What I have is the British Custom 7..... the little brother of your amp amigo.... I do have a JTM 45 Clone that was built by forum member @Sct13 (Vic)... that is a bit juiced up.

My British 7 sounds pretty good through my Greenback Celestion loaded Marshall 4x cab. It’s very crunchy good like a Nestle Crunch chocolate bar..... My B7 is mounted as a combo unit in a cab with cannabis rex 12 inch. A ballsy little combo,.. but I can run a lead to my 4x12 if I want.

3E1B94A9-1F4D-4765-8A20-81849FE22C4A.jpeg
834D3D71-751F-4D46-829C-E1E5CC8D8813.jpeg
118A26A9-9A5C-4670-B605-8D20EF658233.jpeg
EE8F4801-11FA-401D-BDB4-7225D1F83992.jpeg
FFF2A56E-1012-4B98-9B6C-51B5BD018219.jpeg

FDB68C4D-50FE-4C7B-9C96-9B4BEFE15766.gif

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I have is the British Custom 7..... the little brother of your amp amigo.... I do have a JTM 45 Clone that was built by forum member @Sct13 (Vic)... that is a bit juiced up.

My British 7 sounds pretty good through my Greenback Celestion loaded Marshall 4x cab. It’s very crunchy good like a Nestle Crunch chocolate bar..... My B7 is mounted as a combo unit in a cab with cannabis rex 12 inch. A ballsy little combo,.. but I can run a lead to my 4x12 if I want.

View attachment 521972 View attachment 521973 View attachment 521974 View attachment 521975 View attachment 521976
View attachment 521971
Right, Right, British 7. That's what I meant

JMP

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to crank my Carl’s Custom yesterday in a large room- wow! What a different experience as compared to my typical “spare bedroom “ playing experience.

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to crank my Carl’s Custom yesterday in a large room- wow! What a different experience as compared to my typical “spare bedroom “ playing experience.
Mine seems to LOVE the WGS Reaper (some sort of Greenback clone)

Reactions: JMP

Latest Threads