New $650 MIJ Burnies on Rakuten?

dumb

Reaction score
I'm seeing brand-new, current production Burny RLG 85 model Les Paul copies going for $650 plus shipping. The site says they're MIJ - is that for real, or is it one of those deals where they do most of the build in China and then do final assembly in Japan? I'm more used to seeing prices in the $1200-1800 range for basic, current production MIJ Les Pauls.

Link: kurosawastore | Rakuten Global Market: Fernandes/Burny RLG-85

I'm not familiar with Rakuten, so if it turns out that it's not a legit business (besides the MIJ/MIC thing), my apologies. I am posting this to seek information from those more informed than me, not to promote anything.

4Aaron GE

Reaction score
As I understand it, Rakuten is kind of like Amazon in how people can run their own storefronts under their banner. I would imagine that it's a legitimate business.

As far as the provenance of the guitar, I have no idea. The RLG 85 has a MSRP of about $850 (85000Yen), so $650 isn't a price that is out of the question.

dumb

Reaction score
Good to know re: Rakuten. I like that they have well-regarded brands available for under a grand plus shipping.

MIA vs MIJ vs MIC isn't a big deal to me; my two guitars are a Gibson SG and an Indonesian Epi Wilshire. I figure, though, that if I can get something made in Japan for an extra $100-150, why not?

I guess what's making me doubtful about the provenance of the RLG 85 is that it's selling new for the same as what I often see MIJ Burny LPs from the '80s selling for used. If the low price is just from it being more mass manufactured than in the '80s and with a poly finish, then count me in...if the low price is from the piece being a MIC/MIJ hybrid, then I might as well go up a couple hundred more for real MIJ or save some money and go with a good MIC.

4Aaron GE

Reaction score
To be fair, Burny MICs are pretty good. I've got a MIC RLG-55, and it plays pretty well. If you want a good value for your money in a new MIJ, I would consider getting a Coolz guitar. They're an in house brand for Shimamura music, but they're made by Fujigen. Once in a while, I'll come across one in a second hand store for about $300 over here.

niceguyrichy

Reaction score
Rakuten themselves are trustworthy, they bought out a huge online store here in the UK a year or 2 ago, but as Aaron said they're mostly the middle man for other people, so honestly Christ knows what you're getting or where it's really coming from.

Latest Threads