New 60s Standard Bourbon burst bridge won't go any lower. Concern?

Mo Th Cat

Reaction score
Greetings all.

OK so I just picked up my first ever Les Paul and it's a beautiful instrument. I've had it just over a month and bought it brand new from the display wall at Guitar Center.

Plays great, neck looks straight, little bit of uneven sanding at the top trim edge of the fretboard, but nothing I can't live with.

So what's been gnawing at me since I bought it has been that the ABS bridge is bottomed out on the high e side. The string height is good right now, but my concern is that future adjustments will not allow any lowering of the string height if that is needed or if I would like to lower the action at all. The low e side was even a bit high, but the tech at GC lowered it and checked the tuning and it sounds fine.

My concern is that any future attempts to lower the bridge on the high e side will be off the table for any reason.

I am still within my 45 days to return it, but am not sure if I am just obsessing or should I be concerned as this is a brand new $2700 (ish) instrument?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's already bottomed out, the neck was not properly set.
Unless you are absolutely in love with the neck, return/exchange it.

For comparison, my 2019 60s Standard.
It's low, but there's plenty of room.

LP_Bridge.jpg

northernbreed

Reaction score
I’m curious as to where the neck relief is set. It’s likely that you would have already noticed if there was negative relief, which could make things worse wrt the bridge position. Same with the depth of the nut slots (too deep), but you’d have probably noticed that by now too.

also - where do you have the string heights currently set at the 12th, E and e?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer it to be as low as possible. That's a better neck angle. You can always go with conversion bushings and thinner thumbwheels... providing that the guitar is a keeper otherwise.

Mo Th Cat

Reaction score
The thumb wheel is all the way down on the high e and the adjustable saddle is pushed all the way towards the neck.

I've suspected that the neck wasn't set right from the get go and that the current bridge adjustments were trying to compensate for that but figured I was just being paranoid.

From what I'm getting here, sounds like I wasn't wrong about my suspicions. Definitely bummed, but I'm within my 45 days, so it's going back.

Thanks all.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, unless you're absolutely in love with it, I'd return it, too. You could pull the bushings and either fill and drill for ABR studs, or countersink the lips of the current inserts and probably buy all of the adjustment range you'd ever need, but that stuff shouldn't be necessary on a new instrument. This is all assuming the neck is adjusted nearly strait; if it's got significant relief, straighten it out and see where the bridge lands.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These thumb wheels are hollow underneath and should cover the bushing right to the wood.

IMG_0186.JPG

If you can still see the bushing under the wheel you still have a bit to go.

If you don't,... then a return is in order.

Last edited:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thumb wheel is all the way down on the high e and the adjustable saddle is pushed all the way towards the neck.

I've suspected that the neck wasn't set right from the get go and that the current bridge adjustments were trying to compensate for that but figured I was just being paranoid.

From what I'm getting here, sounds like I wasn't wrong about my suspicions. Definitely bummed, but I'm within my 45 days, so it's going back.

Thanks all.
I think you're obsessing, mine is the same way. I haven't touched it from the factory, only lowered the low E side... my action is between .045 and .050 measure at 12th fret and notes bend and ring clear. if its a great guitar i wouldn't send it back for something within spec.... i wasn't thrilled with how the top on mine looked in person when it arrived but the guitar is perfectly made, plays great and sounds amazing so why roll the dice and give up a good one.

if yours plays like crap then exchange it but remember the grass might not be greener with your next one. Maybe go to GC and try a few out and see if you can find a better one before letting that one go.

Socrates

Reaction score
That one has plenty adjustment to it.....if the OP's looks the same he is golden.
Looks exactly like my 50s Standard too..and can still go lower but since I am already at 3/64 action on high E at 12th never even considered lowering it further

JMP

Reaction score
Looks like you got plenty of adjustment left there amigo.... at least a 1/16 of a inch.... which would put that E string on the fretboard.

View attachment 503126
I’d guess this is most likely the case. Try lowering it as low as possible just to double check. If you can get the things to bottom out, you’re good and have plenty of adjustment.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Broken record speaking: send it back and you can buy four Agile 3200-MCCs (top of the line neck-thru singlecuts, 3/4 inch thick carved quilt maple tops, gold hardware and great- sounding pickups, 7-ply body binding with thinner body and belly carve on the back) and you'll have enough $ left over to take your wife on a romantic weekend so she doesn't murder you for ordering four guitars.

"The name on top of the guitar means nothing. It's the guitar under the name."

I'm just bitter 'cause I can't afford a Gibson and I don't want anyone else to have one either.

Latest Threads