'New' 60's Cherry.....anyone got pics?

MiniB

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking into some recent ES-335's, trying to get a realistic feel for the new "60's Cherry" finish. I'm not crazy about the way the wide grain is darker in some pics....looks like a stain job done on wood that wasn't prepped right or something. But then I don' know if the contrast is pumped up for web pics. Anyone with these finishes care to share some shots that capture what it's like to the eye in reality? Thanks.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I think that's just the grain of the wood & how it absorbs the dye.

MiniB

Reaction score
I think that's just the grain of the wood & how it absorbs the dye.
Yeah, I guess that's the choice made for those specific finishes. Not all that nuts about it on certain guitars. I'd probably like it on like a Les Paul Custom...but if I'm going to spend upwards of $3K+ on an ES, I better love the finish.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 SG, and the cherry is a few different gradients depending on the grain. What I've noticed on the Original Collection is that the red is a lighter shade than previous. almost like they're using aniline dyes...which of course they wouldn't be.

MiniB

Reaction score
I don't mind it on the SG much because it's more even with the mahogany, as opposed to that splotchy look on the maple with the wide varying grain....

Now to be fair, here is an actual '61 ES-335......

....so I take it they're trying to replicate that, which I respect. But personally I don't like it as much...I'd prefer something more along the lines of.....

...if you're going to see grain, or better yet just plain and even. But that's me.

wmachine

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking into some recent ES-335's, trying to get a realistic feel for the new "60's Cherry" finish. I'm not crazy about the way the wide grain is darker in some pics....looks like a stain job done on wood that wasn't prepped right or something. But then I don' know if the contrast is pumped up for web pics. Anyone with these finishes care to share some shots that capture what it's like to the eye in reality? Thanks.

I see what you are saying, but I strongly suggest you look at them in person. Not only do they vary considerably, I think you will find even ones like this to look a lot better in person. The reds do not photograph well.

MiniB

Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but I strongly suggest you look at them in person. Not only do they vary considerably, I think you will find even ones like this to look a lot better in person. The reds do not photograph well.
Good point about photos.

Latest Threads