New '50's Les Paul standards, 1 or 2 piece back

Recklessrog

Reaction score
I have been looking to add a new 50's standard to my collection and so far, all the ones I've seen have had 2 piece mahogany bodies. Some are extremely well matched, and only very close inspection reveals the join. Even if it's near on impossible to see on the back, looking straight on at the bottom strap button will show up a line where the two halves are joined. another place to look is at the centre where the neck joins the body. Just behind the neck heal, another tiny join line shows up. Hold the guitar flat face down and tilt it back and fro and it's easy to spot a line where the lacquer sinks a minute amount at the join .
I want to make this perfectly clear that I'm not debating whether there is any sonic difference between 1 or two piece backs, just whether there are less 1 piece than 2 pieces.
Here in the U.K, it seems that most are 2 pieces. It's purely a a personal preference for me that all my Les pauls have a 1 piece back.
Anyone here in the U.K got a 1 piece?

Last edited:

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking to add a new 50's standard to my collection and so far, all the ones I've seen have had 2 piece mahogany bodies. Some are extremely well matched, and only very close inspection reveals the join. Even if it's near on impossible to see on the back, looking straight on at the bottom strap button will show up a line where the two halves are joined. another place to look is at the centre where the neck joins the body. Just behind the neck heal, another tiny join line shows up. Hold the guitar flat face down and tilt it back and fro and it's easy to spot a line where the lacquer sinks a minute amount at the join .
I want to make this perfectly clear that I'm not debating whether there is any sonic difference between 1 or two piece backs, just whether there are less 1 piece than than 2 pieces.
Here in the U.K, it seems that most are 2 pieces. It's purely a a personal preference for me that all my Les pauls have a 1 piece back.
Anyone here in the U.K got a 1 piece?
They will have 2 piece backs, Gibson Custom Shop R models ,have 1 piece

ARandall

Reaction score
No matter how well or poorly matched a back is, that aspect is unseen and therefore unimportant while playing.
On the other hand, if sitting it on a stand back outward and being observed is the main thing that the guitar is intended for, then maybe look to something that only satisfies aesthetics.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
My question was not whether how well or not a 2 piece back is matched, or the importance of it while playing, It was to find out if anyone has got one with a one piece back. Having owned over 35 Les Pauls ranging from originals to almost every kind of re-issue, classics, and run of the mill production, (except the Chambered variety) I personally like all mine to be made with a one piece mahogany back, and was thinking of adding one of the new ones to my current collection, but will only do so if I find one with a one piece back. With the traditionals, some had a one piece back + swiss cheesed, some had a 2 piece back. I have a 2013 traditional with no weight relief and one piece back that blows the socks off my '59 vos! (which is actually a great sounding guitar) The 2013 trad just has got that extra allround better tone, sustain and life than any of the others I currently own. A real peach.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I believe the vast majority of USA Standard 50s and 60s will have two piece backs, but there have been members here who have found and scored examples with one piece backs. Seems to be a pretty small percentage overall, but they do exist. Check out the In Praise of the New Originals thread.

My Standard is a well matched two piece and the join is only noticeable under certain lighting conditions and close inspection. It doesn't bother me, the guitar plays and sounds great.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
I believe the vast majority of USA Standard 50s and 60s will have two piece backs, but there have been members here who have found and scored examples with one piece backs. Seems to be a pretty small percentage overall, but they do exist. Check out the In Praise of the New Originals thread.

My Standard is a well matched two piece and the join is only noticeable under certain lighting conditions and close inspection. It doesn't bother me, the guitar plays and sounds great.
Ok, so there are some 1 piece ones around, I will have to have a hunt for one. I got one sent to me on approval that the store were convinced was a one piece, extremely well matched but close inspection revealed the join. Gibson did the same with the traditionals, most were 2 piece but the 2013 had no weight relief and a few were 1 piece. Took me 2 years to locate the one I've got.
It's something that is really far less important than how it plays and sounds, but it's what I prefer.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
In these two picture they sent me, it really looked one piece, but when it arrived, the line at the strap button was more visible and looking down from the neck i could see the join. a magnifying glass showed it clearly. Strange thing is this..... looking at the strap button, it looks as though they took a perfectly good one piece block, cut it in half with a fairly thin blade, then glued it back together. There is only a very small step where the grain flow does not match up perfectly. Shame really, cos it sounds and plays beautifully.
IMG_5548.png
IMG_5553.png
IMG_5553.png

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shame? I am in process of building a 2 piece back and mine is matched very similar to your example. Cannot help with your question though, the last time I bought a standard was 2003 and I had no idea how they were made back then.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
This is the 2013 trad. bottom pic is another 2010 trad, one piece back but swiss cheesed.

127542373_435966397415233_2061073894373668017_n.jpg
20201206_152812.jpg
my new guitar (2019_03_26 15_58_55 UTC).jpg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two beautiful les Paul’s there. If I had known the 2013 had long neck tenons I might not have spent stupid money on reissues last year. There is a rather lovely 2013 on eBay at the mo, the seller is asking R8 money for it though, I mean I wish them all the best an all. But no.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
Two beautiful les Paul’s there. If I had known the 2013 had long neck tenons I might not have spent stupid money on reissues last year. There is a rather lovely 2013 on eBay at the mo, the seller is asking R8 money for it though, I mean I wish them all the best an all. But no.
Quite honestly, those two traditionals sound and play better than the '59 Vos which is itself a great guitar, so might end up selling the Vos.

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
In these two picture they sent me, it really looked one piece, but when it arrived, the line at the strap button was more visible and looking down from the neck i could see the join. a magnifying glass showed it clearly. Strange thing is this..... looking at the strap button, it looks as though they took a perfectly good one piece block, cut it in half with a fairly thin blade, then glued it back together. There is only a very small step where the grain flow does not match up perfectly. Shame really, cos it sounds and plays beautifully.
View attachment 537974 View attachment 537975 View attachment 537975
I don't really see how that is a shame, unless you specially asked them if it is a one piece and they said it was. Honestly, it's one of the better matches I've seen. If you need a magnifying class to verify the join, you're doing OK.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the OP’s desire for a one piece back. To me it’s a structural thing, if back and top are center seamed, just don’t sit right with me. Even though I know the glue is stronger than the wood. With my 2 piece back I am using a plain one piece maple cap as it’s a goldtop build with p90’s. so it’s a reverse build if you like. :hmm::rofl:
On the next builds where I am having to glue 2 pieces I am going to offset the back joint.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
I don't really see how that is a shame, unless you specially asked them if it is a one piece and they said it was. Honestly, it's one of the better matches I've seen. If you need a magnifying class to verify the join, you're doing OK.
It's only a shame because had it been 1Piece I would have kept it. It is all down to me not wanting a joined back. Non of my originals or later re-issues had a join, nor did any other Les Paul I have owned. Back in the 70's I did aquire a Norlin Deluxe pancake bodied Les Paul with mini humbuckers. It also had a three piece neck with 14 degree headstock. Could not get on with that at all, very quickly sold that! By then, the price of originals was going through the roof and the guy who had 4 years earlier bought my '58 standard from me for £500, offered it back for £3000 !! Back in 1975, that was an absolute fortune. Considering that I had bought it in 1965 for £350, (expensive even then) I was shocked by how fast the prices were going up. A year later, a friend picked up a 57 Goldtop while he was in the states and sold it to me for a Grand. since then, many have come and gone, and I always suffer "sellers remorse" when i let a good one go. Now I always have to have at least 5 Les Pauls for a sense of security I guess. Thats the madness of Les Paul addiction.
I don't call myself a "guitarist" I'm a Les Paul player lol.

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Here in the U.K, it seems that most are 2 pieces.
It's always been like this since I got into Les Pauls back in 2007 and even before. Most have two-piece bodies but they also make some with a singe piece.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
my 50s standard is a 1 piece. My brothers is a 2 piece. I saw another 1 piece back in the wild at a GC. They do exist

Socrates

Reaction score
Why do you guys figure Gibson would make any 1 piece back Standards if the spec is for it to be two piece and given the 1 piece backs cost a lot more?

Recklessrog

Reaction score
Why do you guys figure Gibson would make any 1 piece back Standards if the spec is for it to be two piece and given the 1 piece backs cost a lot more?
Hi, where did you see the spec showing it is for 2 piece? I've not seen that. At least with the Traditionals they did say 1 or 2 piece and i eventually found three with one piece but only the 2013 is non weight relieved at 10lb 7oz, the other two closer to 9lbs

Latest Threads