New 2019 Les Paul Standard 50s - yet more damages found :(

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Hello Guys -

I found yet more QC concerns on my brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s. I received the guitar on 12/26. A few days later I found poor fret file marks and wavy binding. I almost returned the guitar. But I had thought the rest of the guitar was perfect. I also loved the top & one-piece back.

So tonight when cleaning up the fret board and preparing to do a new string install I saw a divot in the side of a single fret. It is fret number 7. I was already given a $125 discount for the poor binding & file marks on the fret board from the eCommerce seller - but now tonight I see this new issue.

Its pretty small but still very noticeable. I'm very surprised this could have made it all the way out the door within Gibson. I mean the Gibson guys are trained to look for these issues I assume.

Is this something I could file away? Is it something I could fill and file? Is it so small that I could just leave it? I don't know if it could create any playing issues - maybe so.?

Sadly I have purchased at least 20 Epiphone models of varies types over the last 10 years - all arrived dead mint. But the first time I spend $2500 I get issue after issue. A Brand new Gibson just shouldn't look like this.

Here are two images of the marks in the side of the fret 7 - I will also attach several images of the poor file marks and sloppy binding as it arrived last week. (just for back history on the poor QC)

Thanks guys for looking and also your opinions.

Kevin

Attachments

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, seriously, you don't need to start multiple threads about this same guitar. This is the third one....

Also, if you keep inspecting that guitar with a microscope, all the time, you'll never end finding things.

Just return it and buy something else.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Man, seriously, you don't need to start multiple threads about this same guitar. This is the third one....

Also, if you keep inspecting that guitar with a microscope, all the time, you'll never end finding things.

Just return it and buy something else.
This.
Buy a different one. I know it can be annoying, but at least now next time you'll know what to look for.
Or buy something second hand and cheaper so you're not worried about the little flaws.

JMP

Reaction score
I totally understand the desire for total perfection. Especially when you spend $2,500. Like you, I consider that a lot of money and I don’t spend that much cash without serious deliberation. But, the items you’ve pointed out on this particular guitar seem totally acceptable to me. This is a hand made guitar- they aren’t just pumped out of a machine. Human hands are responsible for much of it and there’s going to be some variations and imperfections. They will never be perfect.

I’d keep the guitar if it plays well and sounds great.

Good luck with your decision.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I sure didn’t mean to make everyone so upset - Gee sorry guys. Maybe we can just delete this posting.

Hope everyone has a good day - Thank you & Bless You

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
In an ideal world, you'd be right.

In the one we have....a few small flaws are fine if you actually play guitars. If you want wall art, buy a Monet print. :)
Or Yamaha, Heritage, ESP, or a number of other makers who can make a flawless guitar.

I actually play and doubt I’d put up with these flaws. For the money, it should be perfect.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Send it back, get another one.

In your text it is rather clear that you are less than happy with this guitar. And with so many cosmetic issues, I personally would have sent it back. That guitar is a 2nd imo.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I sure didn’t mean to make everyone so upset
Nobody is upset lol!

You can just keep us updated in the same original thread, instead opening a new one for every new message. ;)

All good amigo, but yeah, send it back.

As a long time Gibson customer, I can tell you, if you are looking for a perfectly flawless guitar, Gibson isn't for you.

If you still want a Gibson guitar, probably a model without the full blings has much more chances to be fine, since binding, nibs, full bound body etc...are all things that are typically showing marks or scuffs.. etc. Maybe a Studio, or a Tribute, or a Special, stuff like that. ;)

Good luck. :)

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty sad for a ‘premier’ guitar maker.

FWIW, my 2012 LP Special was perfect.
My only flawless USA Gibson, was the 2015 Traditional LOL! :laugh2:

With Custom Shop is much better, standards are much higher, but even those, if you look them under a magnifying glass, you can find marks and scuff there too...

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think your two choices are:

1. Contact Gibson for repair. A qualified luthier should be able to fix that, but if you haven't done fretwork I don't think you should go at it yourself.

2. Return it.

moreles

Reaction score
You say it's obvious -- but didn't notice it yourself even though you examined the fretboard previously. So, well, it's not. Decide if it's something you can't accept and then proceed accordingly. It's up to you. From a distance, it certainly seems like you will never be satisfied with this guitar, so why not return it for replacement or refund? Gibson QC is good these days, but this one was either not inspected or the flaws got missed. I hate the way many online sellers feel no responsibility for checking things before they move them on, which is why I don't buy guitars that way. If I can't hold the seller responsible, I'm not buying.

JMP

Reaction score
Why not? Other hand made guitars come out perfect. You’d never see these things on anything from Yamaha Japan.
Good question. I can’t really say with any actual fact. That said, if the OP is unhappy, the guitar should be returned. But, I’ll make a huge assumption that these types of “imperfections” will always be present on Gibson instruments. Please keep in mind that I’m no expert and this is just my opinion, based on very little data.