New 2018 R0

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
The latest in the series of finding flaws that just aren't there
Lol, look...please? I figured, and was waiting for a response like that.However, i belong too the same club,and love these guitars,...i waited 23 years to be able to own one.However,there is a post on this forum, of someone who owns an R9, and has an uneven seam, between the bottom of the neck,and the back of the guitar, where the neck sits.People said that there was a problem.I went through a similar, situation, with my les paul Traditional, and Gibson, confirmed, they made a mistake,and the neck was set crooked.Now...i finally saved the money for this guitar,and its amazing, but myself,and a couple others,noticed a very small slope,in the neck gap on this les paul,and with the exteme $$$$$ it cost,i would just like a little help from my freinds here thats all

Mattcran

Reaction score
Can you indicate a distance of where to where you're talking about?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Looks slightly crooked in the second picture, but it could be the angle at which you took it, straight in the others. I can't say I've ever looked for that on any guitar I've owned.

ARandall

Reaction score
Lol, look...please? I figured, and was waiting for a response like that.However, i belong too the same club,and love these guitars,...i waited 23 years to be able to own one.However,there is a post on this forum, of someone who owns an R9, and has an uneven seam, between the bottom of the neck,and the back of the guitar, where the neck sits.People said that there was a problem.I went through a similar, situation, with my les paul Traditional, and Gibson, confirmed, they made a mistake,and the neck was set crooked.Now...i finally saved the money for this guitar,and its amazing, but myself,and a couple others,noticed a very small slope,in the neck gap on this les paul,and with the exteme $$$$$ it cost,i would just like a little help from my freinds here thats all
I did look, hence the reply.
And once again you are comparing to the wrong area. It is not the back you have to compare to, its the top.

guitarded_82

Reaction score
That's not how you check neck alignment. Equally, the back could be slightly unevenly sanded.

Pete M

Reaction score
Honestly, what are we looking at here? If you are worried then measure the space between the back of the body and the heel at each side. Then you have to decide what this tells you. Is the neck crooked? Is the body crooked? Was something sanded too much or not enough? Does it play well up and down the neck? Does a wonky neck joint make it a bad guitar? As far as I'm aware gibson still uses a lip in their neck joints which means the back of the heel can be at any angle or size and it's not related in any way to the tenon. Like this:

Even if they now use a correct 50's neck joint, then the very tip of the heel can be over or under sanded and not affect the way the tenon sits in the pocket.

You guys need to keep in mind that these things are made of wood, and woodworking is not an exact science. Don't throw away a great guitar because something might be slightly off. If the fretboard kicked up 1 or 2 mm at the body end as a result of this potential "flaw" assuming everything else aligned as if it were on some other "perfect" guitar then you would notice it as soon as you tried to play a note above the 12th fret.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Asymmetrical necks where the back of the neck slopes to the high e side were it becomes thinner then the bass side is a production design that has no effect on the fret board surface on USA model Les Pauls.

A heel of a neck that may not be perfectly square with the back has no effect to the fret board surface any more than a asymmetrical neck. As long as the joint is tight and gap free to the body I can’t see an issue here. This is only my opinion and I could be wrong with the limited info I see from the OPs pics.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Honestly, what are we looking at here? If you are worried then measure the space between the back of the body and the heel at each side. Then you have to decide what this tells you. Is the neck crooked? Is the body crooked? Was something sanded too much or not enough? Does it play well up and down the neck? Does a wonky neck joint make it a bad guitar? As far as I'm aware gibson still uses a lip in their neck joints which means the back of the heel can be at any angle or size and it's not related in any way to the tenon. Like this:

Even if they now use a correct 50's neck joint, then the very tip of the heel can be over or under sanded and not affect the way the tenon sits in the pocket.

You guys need to keep in mind that these things are made of wood, and woodworking is not an exact science. Don't throw away a great guitar because something might be slightly off. If the fretboard kicked up 1 or 2 mm at the body end as a result of this potential "flaw" assuming everything else aligned as if it were on some other "perfect" guitar then you would notice it as soon as you tried to play a note above the 12th fret.

Awsome reply, thank you, and again, i just made the biggest guitar purchase of my life, and in no way am i knocking the builders, just asking a question, as to be sure and to lesrn that, everything is ok, thats all, nothing more.You guys are soo knowledgible

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
While it "looks" fine to me, how does it play and stay in tune?

Also as above...

Thats why there are adjustmets avbailable....I'll bet it plays and sounds great.

PierM

Reaction score
Stop chasing for issues and just play the damn geetar...especially if does play and feel fine.

If you look for flaws, you’ll find them, even if non-existent.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
Wow that's a rad guitar. If it's really eating you up just take it to a local tech/repair guy and get his input. I know exactly where you're coming from as far as saving up for something and wanting it to be free of issues. Do it now while you still hold the cards (if you do, that is) - ie within 30 days of purchase or whatever

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
That guitar came from me and it's 100% fine with no issues!! It plays and sounds great. I went over it and played it a number of times. Time to just play and enjoy the guitar and stop looking for faults. As stated earlier, guitar are made from wood with a fair amount of human hand work. So not perfect like metal parts with thousandths of an inch tolerances. You got a great deal on a great guitar, enjoy it.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
The latest in the series of finding flaws that just aren't there
Serious yeah it might off by a friggin millimeter my- Les Paul has a slightly crooked neck and plays beautifuuly yeah the oginal bursts were handmade and they were all perfect no flaws at all:rolleyes: with all these people stressing about Historics is why I wont get one dont take this personally ,but if I have to click on a thumbnail to see it its no big deal.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
No, its fine, i realized that this was not a very wise way, to judge if a les paul neck was set in streight.You have a milled pocket cutout of the guitar body, then a square shaped tenon, that fits into it, then the fretboard rests on top of a curved top.Anyway im going to post some more pics of the guitar to show you guys a serious acomplishment of mine

Latest Threads