New 2018 Historic Goldtop, Finish crack or Neck crack? Should i return?

mafmmx

Reaction score
I treated myself today to a brand new 2018 Custom 57 Historic Gold Top LP, With serial number 001!! How awesome is that? ( so i thought )

I noticed this when i got home tonight and was playing it.... its a small tiny hairline crack or line, You can feel it with your nail. Its not wide enough to stick my nail or anything into to see how deep it is.

Should i be worried about this? Not sure if its a finish crack or neck cracking? I dont know much about repairs so i am just a very worried new guitar owner.

Do you think i should return it to be safe and find another LP? or is this nothing to worry about? I just dont wanna run into any problems later down the road because this guitar cost me a good penny.

IMG_3821.jpg

Attachments

drmmrr55

Reaction score
It looks fine to me, a crack in the Nitro, especially right where the neck joins the body is not unusual. However, if it really makes you uncomfortable, take it to a luthier for a look-see, they should do it for free. But if it makes you feel safer, you can send it back, it IS after all....brand new, and a flaw in the finish should at minimum get you a reduction in price, or a replacement.

ARandall

Reaction score
Very common area for a lacquer check mark, due to the movement of different wood bits.

However it is awfully early in its life for this to occur.

skysc

Reaction score
it's probably not a big thing but considering its a brand new guitar and its a historics worth 5000 $ guitar and + , i would send it back because it will bug you knowing it's there + it might get worse with time and hurt a resale value . At the price Gibson charge for Historics , i would expect it to be perfect .

If it bug you .. return it .

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I can't see it. Is it on the heel? Or body? If anything, it may be a stress crack in the nitro from packing it tightly in the case and getting bumped around during shipping.

Sometimes they seal themselves up. Then depending on the temperature, they can open up again. I had a 60's Special DC I bought new that did this out of the case. Cracks were all over the back of the neck, near the heel. They packed the guitar in the case so tight, which caused the neck to bow under the pressure. I sent it back and had another one shipped that was perfect.

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this can happen to new Gibson owners when they buy a new expensive guitar and aren't used to the way Gibson Reissues are made and finished. Here's what the neck joint on a real vintage '59 Gibson (ES-345) looks like:

You're good, enjoy the guitar and don't sweat the first few dings/marks. It's not a PRS! :slash:

(and I don't mean to come off as dismissive or insensitive, believe me i get it! it's just that once you've had a few of these you realize they aren't made to be without seams, gaps or blemishes. that's all part of the "hand-made" nature of them lol)

thankfully you got a goldtop so next week we won't see a thread about how your binding is turning red :p
(another joke that sounds like it's at your expense but is really more a dig at Gibson's finishing technique, search for "binding bleed" if you'd like the backstory)

Last edited:

Latest Threads