New 2017 Gibson les paul traditional bridge low travel on treble side..any other owners out there?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Hi guys I just bought a new 2017 Gibson les paul traditional,and the guitar came setup with pretty low action with the high E string 1mm from the top of the 17 fret to the bottom of the string.Now the guitar plays beautiful,but I noticed that the bridge seemed like it was almost out of travel if it was to move further down...not that I would need it too...but I just want to make sure my $2600 guitar is not suffering from any defect.Now screwing the thumb wheel the rest of the way down till it bottomed out ...I was able to get just under 1mm fromnthe top of the fret to the bottom of the string.Is this normal? This guitar has an ABR-1 bridge with Nashville lowers as it seems...so instead of having the threaded rod going right into the body. I have a metal spacer sitting on top of the body limiting further travel.Yet I read that I should be able to make the strings hit the fret board with full downward bridge adjustment but this guitar does not.are there any les paul traditional owners out there with the same bridge setup my guitar has? And are you experiencing the same?

Attachments

MJK

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Traditional that had the same issue although with a Nashville bridge.

It really bothered me that it was virtually out of travel and the bridge looked very oddly tilted to get a decent action. I know because of the natural layout that a bridge is suppose to be lower on the treble side but mine was just too much compared to others.

I knew it would bother me like a pebble in your shoe so, I sent it back.

It sounds like you still have room for adjustment even though it’s quite low already so, you would have to ask yourself if it bothers enough to return it. If you can.

Wish you the best of luck man!

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer man.No it doesn't bother me too much as long as its that way by design..being a stratocaster man all my life i regretted selling me 1996 Gibson les paul studio because I didn't like wine red loll...god I regretted that for years until I got this 2017 traditional in antique burst and a 2017 Gibson Les paul classic in heritage cherry coming next Tuesday.I might just be used to stratocasters but these les Paul's play soo damn fast and smooth no matter how high the action..loll that's why my grandfather loved les Paul's and hated stratocasters I would imagine but ill never know.

Any other owners please chime in...I love this guitar I won't return it but any info would help me out

Reactions: MJK

MJK

Reaction score
and a 2017 Gibson Les paul classic in heritage cherry coming next Tuesday.
Hey that’s awesome! I have a 2017 Classic Plus (plus just being a flame top) that I bought in Nov during a great sale. Love the classic sooo much!

I actually posted about my classic not having (possibly) 57 classic pickups and it actually having 59 Tributes. The guitar was bought new so, it came from Gibson this way. They sound great!

Take care man and be sure to post that classic as well!

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
You too man,also do know anything about a store having a certain deal with Gibson that they can't list there guitars as new ? But they are new guitars? And not factory seconds

PierM

Reaction score
Hi guys I just bought a new 2017 Gibson les paul traditional,and the guitar came setup with pretty low action with the high E string 1mm from the top of the 17 fret to the bottom of the string.Now the guitar plays beautiful,but I noticed that the bridge seemed like it was almost out of travel if it was to move further down...not that I would need it too...but I just want to make sure my $2600 guitar is not suffering from any defect.Now screwing the thumb wheel the rest of the way down till it bottomed out ...I was able to get just under 1mm fromnthe top of the fret to the bottom of the string.Is this normal? This guitar has an ABR-1 bridge with Nashville lowers as it seems...so instead of having the threaded rod going right into the body. I have a metal spacer sitting on top of the body limiting further travel.Yet I read that I should be able to make the strings hit the fret board with full downward bridge adjustment but this guitar does not.are there any les paul traditional owners out there with the same bridge setup my guitar has? And are you experiencing the same?

Hi,

let's start saying you have there the typical "non issue"; USA necks joints are in the average 5°, with tolerances, so you may get a 5.1, like a 4.8° etc... Your is probably on the low side of this tolerance. Said that, if you can set the action to get 1mm on both E/e strings, at 12th fret, with still a bit of room under the bridge, you are already clear. Your neck joint is in the tolerance. Going under that number, it's most of the time prone to buzz, even with an extra fret dress and straight neck.

Now, what you can do is to check how high are the Nut slots, because that is another important spot of the guitar (and Gibson usually keep the nut slot pretty high), where you have possible room for extra adjustment.
Same goes to neck relief. Big bows are prone to introduce higher action that what you would get with a straight neck, or very low relief, so yeah, let's check your relief too.

With my USA Gibson, I've seen that with everything setup properly (which is btw a personal preference), I can go 0.7mm on the high e, and 1mm on the low E, and bridge is almost floored like your.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Well this Traditional is designed like a 1950 or 1960 les paul witch I believe has a 5 degree neck angle correct? And therefore the guitar is as I mentioned vintage style? And since it has the 5 degree neck angle.the neck is basically moved further away from the strings?

My neck relief is around .011 thousandths at the 7th fret....and yes I can get 0.7mm from the top of the fret to the bottom of the high E string and I probably have enough travel on the low E side of the bridge to hit the fret board.On the high E however I can go under 1mm though

So I'm fine then? And also what is a None issue neck joint?

PierM

Reaction score
Well this Traditional is designed like a 1950 or 1960 les paul witch I believe has a 5 degree neck angle correct? And therefore the guitar is as I mentioned vintage style? And since it has the 5 degree neck angle.the neck is basically moved further away from the strings?

My neck relief is around .011 thousandths at the 7th fret....and yes I can get 0.7mm from the top of the fret to the bottom of the high E string and I probably have enough travel on the low E side of the bridge to hit the fret board.On the high E however I can go under 1mm though

No. Original bursts where on the 4° side. This is the angle used for custom shop Les Pauls and Reissues/Historics/Customs etc.
The USA guitars (non Custom Shop) moved to 5° later, because that give the guys at the factory more room for the setup....and less headache.

Your guitar has nothing wrong. :)

PS: a "non-issue" means you are overthinking something that it's fine as it is

bryvincent

Reaction score
i prefer my Les Pauls with low neck angle and low bridge height like most of the vintage ones. i can screw the tailpiece all the way down without too much string angle and the pups are not way up the pup rings. they too, have slinkier feel on the strings.

by the way, that nashville bridge still have plenty of room to go down. nashville bridge posts are actually hollow inside and the top of the bushing can go "inside" the thumbwheel.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Oh!! No way you guys are awesome thanks for the help with this.any idea why they used an ABR-1 bridge with a Nashville bottom section on my guitar

northernbreed

Reaction score
That all looks fine. In fact, I prefer it when a LP is like that - plus you’ll never play it at that low of action anyway. And if the neck moves over time, it’s only gonna rise up, which means you have room to raise the bridge a bit. Likely won’t happen though. And verify now that the neck relief is where you want it too - that comes into play.

Leña_Costoso

Reaction score
Couple of things come to mind, and the first is... my '17 Tribute has the same weird bridge setup. An ABR-1 with Nashville type adjusters. Since my guitar had some pickup and hardware "issues" from good ol' GC, I suspected additional issues with the bridge. I've since learned that the weird combination we have is something Gibson has done. By the way, the post spacing is correct for the ABR-1, so its really, really weird.

Second thing is 1mm at fret 17, seems pretty low to me. That would be pretty close to 1/32 inch, which is also known as 2/64th of an inch. And that's at fret 17 vs fret 12. I suspect even with a 12" radius, bends will fret out when you play above fret 12 or 14 or so.

Wasn't there more pictures in this thread yesterday? At any rate, your bushing does look just a tad elevated from the body, but its hard to see, and the body is curved at that point, so it may be flush on one side. If its not, you can tap it down a bit next string change. Your adjusters seem to have a bit more "gap" between the ABR-1 and the top of the wheels. My adjusters have the allen key hole in the end, can't quite see yours.

Speaking of which... I've love to see some more pictures of that bridge setup, because its a rare bird!

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score

Traditionals are more closely related and designed after '80s & '90s LPs, though recently they have acquired some '50s attributes like non weight relief and an ABR type bridge. But still nowhere near a '50s build.

Leña_Costoso

Reaction score
That was it. Hey chalk it up to old man syndrome.... I resemble that!

Other thing I just thought of was, the wheels are hollow on the bottom, so they overhang the bushings when fully down. Seems like there's a way to go downward that hasn't been considered.

(still think the action is on the "too low" side... but what the heck.... )

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
I talked to Gibson today and they said the same thing as far as the wheels being hollow under with....but is the threaded rod threaded far enough down to allow the wheel to hit the deck?

I love this guitar I can’t wait to see my 2017 Gibson les Paul classic in heritage cherry next Tuesday

Leña_Costoso

Reaction score
I would very seriously not worry one iota. Its down as far as it needs to go. You can take it to its limit, and its "too far down" and laying the strings on the fret tops I'd imagine. What's not to love?

I still wanna see how your adjusters are? Do they have the socket head tops?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Oh I don’t think I have the socket head tops on the posts just the thumb wheel to adjust travel I’ll take more pics when I get home from work

And I’m not worried about this anymore,I appreciate all your help and look forward to being part of this forum and am very happy to have a les Paul again.i really wish I never sold that wine red 1996 Gibson led Paul studio but what can you do....I bought this brand new left over 2017 Gibson les Paul traditional in antique burst and a brand new 2017 Gibson les Paul classic T in heritage cherry witch will be delivered next Tuesday and I’ll post pics of it.and just for my info .these thumb wheels will screw down far enough to hit the body any way?

Last edited:

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
I haven't read through all the responses, but man... out of 11 LPs, not a single one of them is adjusted the same. Some sit high, some sit low. Some sit at a more extreme angle.

Whatever works, long as it plays and sounds well. Its really not an issue, unless the neck is warped.

Latest Threads