New 1958 incoming, help with appearance

MuLLe

Reaction score
Hi folks :)

Soon my new 58 reissue Standard VOS will land :D

I'm planning on swapping the pickups. I would like your input about the appearance of the pickups.
Shall I go Black or Zebra?
Those are the two choices and I cant decide and need you input on what you think would have the most gorgeous esthetic ( if that is the right way to put it, esthetic hehe )

Two pictures:
One is from the shop where it was presented, I believe the picture does not have the right colourisation etc :).
The other picture is from a demo video they made for me when it is in a natural direct light and it probably has the right depths and colourisation showing in the guitar in that picture:)
I'm so excited and excited for your input regarding what to put in, Zebra or Black :D

Best Regards
Mulle

First picture in the gallary:
58 ex 2.jpg

Second picture demo video:
58 example.jpg

58 ex 2.jpg
58 example.jpg

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
My take: Pickguard on, then go with double cream. Pickguard off, then go with black. I'm not a big fan of zebras on bursts for some reason, but I like zebras with other colors. Or you could keep it stock, it looks damn fine as is. :thumb: Congrats, and show us what you decide on!

kakerlak

Reaction score
I would also put any sort of mismatch (including one covered, one not) ahead of two uncovered black pickups. Two uncovered black humbuckers will make that guitar look like a nice '90s Classic.

MuLLe

Reaction score
Thank you for your input guys.
I think im starting to leaning towards the neck pickup with cover and the bridge Black, like Jimmy Pages guitar, if the guitar is more colourful as on the first picture :)

I will dismount the pickguard :)

MuLLe

Reaction score
Have you heard how the existing pups sound before swapping them?

Or are looks more important?
Ive heard it but I have not played it yet :)
I'm planning on changing them because I've never really liked the Gibson Custom buckers to suit me very well. I like the Alnico II pickups much better. But I wont change the pickups before I have tried them. Who knows, maybe I like the sound when I'm playing the guitar once I have it. But by experince, I will change them and if I do, I just wanted some input. I dont like covers on my guitars hehe.

The sound is of course more important, if I do like these, well then I'll simply remove the covers, but I doubt I will find them to sound better than the Alnico II for my liking.

BDW60

Reaction score
Double cream or covers. Anything else would be a negative, IMO

1all's Pub

Reaction score
While I am a fan of the open coil/uncovered look, on that guitar I’d stick with the covers. It has such a nice vintage vibe to it that it would look best as is, IMO.

But if you’re set on open coils my preference is double cream, zebra, black.

Latest Threads