Never totally trust a tuner

dcmey

Reaction score
I was changing strings the other day and I have always relied on my tuner to tell me what to do. I ended up busting a couple of strings. I have played for almost 6 years and changed many string and never done that before. I had my tech look at the guitar and didn't see any thing wrong so he put on the string and tuned it by ear and it sounded dead on. We pulled out my tuner and it was saying that it extremely flat, and when we matched with the tuner it sounded way sharp. I got rid of that that tuner very quickly. I bought a new tuner. What I like about it is it has the regulartuner, it has a pitch pipe in it and a chord finder. I like having the pitch pipe in it. That way there is 2 things to go by.

drewbertca

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess the tuners are like pickups, caps and pots.....variences affect how they work....I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem if all members of a band tuned with the same tuner.....and interestingly enough my little korg tuner reads flat when the batteries are dyeing...if i tune and realize the batteries are dead and change the batteries my axe is always sharp.....

Reaction score
get a good one that shouldnt happen

LongBeach

Reaction score
+1: failing batteries screw the tuner up. I tried a couple weeks ago to
tune a Strat with mine, tuner showed no sign that the batteries were weak.
Man I fought this thing, & fought it, and finally got pissed and put it away,
got as close as I could by ear.

Then, had this fantastic idea - maybe the batteries are going dead? ta-da!

loneguitar

Reaction score
Yep, had that on mine too, it's always the simple ones that get us

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always carry a copy of the first 'nuge CD,when in doubt,that droneing "A"on Stranglehold works everytime,or,I just tune to the bass player,the crowd usually cant tell the diff.:naughty::rofl::rofl::rofl:

G-Minor

Reaction score
my screen fades when the batery dies whic takes a long time seeing i have a universal seiko ST-747 which runs on a 9volt

Bowhunterwt

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have two tuners I used, a korg tuner and a peterson strobe tuner. I depend on the peterson tuner more than the korg. I keep the peterson plug in with the supplied power supply

dcmey

Reaction score
Actually I had just put in new batteries because it would jump around. It's almost 6 so I got my moneys worth from it.

shotgunlew

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have two tuners I used, a korg tuner and a peterson strobe tuner. I depend on the peterson tuner more than the korg. I keep the peterson plug in with the supplied power supply

Those petersons rock!

v8ko

Reaction score
get a good one that shouldnt happen

Sho-nuFF.

I also have a tuner in my pedal set-up. You should at least keep your ear tuned enough to know when a string is about to break from being overtightened.

If Im at a music shop checking out guitars I just bust out a low e hum and tune from there.

Latest Threads