Neil Finn's LP

rickym

Reaction score
Saw Crowded House last month. Finn's LP through his AC30 was fabulous. I don't know if the mini-humbuckers were the reason it sounded so good. His pedalboard is sparse. Just can't get the event & sound outta me head!

I really dug his sound enough to consider minis in my LP.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
There's an extra set of "mounting rings" around the mini-humbucker rings. It may have originally been a humbucker equipped LP that has had minis installed, or may be an actual Deluxe that was routed for humbuckers at one time.

Lester B. Flat

Reaction score
There's an extra set of "mounting rings" around the mini-humbucker rings. It may have originally been a humbucker equipped LP that has had minis installed, or may be an actual Deluxe that was routed for humbuckers at one time.
No, those are original "goof rings". They were put on some early Deluxes.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Goof rings cover the edges of the routes, wear the worn tooling tore up the maple a bit. Gibson was too cheap to buy new router blades, so they made the rings instead.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Well, I guess it's true that you learn something new every day. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Saw Crowded House last month. Finn's LP through his AC30 was fabulous. I don't know if the mini-humbuckers were the reason it sounded so good. His pedalboard is sparse. Just can't get the event & sound outta me head!
I think Neil Finn is probably the reason it sounded so good. I last saw him with his own band on the One-Nil tour about 6 years back and it was about the best thing I've ever seen. How the hell a gig with about 3000 people there can feel that intimate I will never know. A major talent, but with no airs and graces, and quite obviously does it because he loves it. Don't expect the experience to fade in your memory too quickly!

AC30s also sound pretty amazing with full size humbuckers. Bernard Butler always got a great sound out of his. But minis, gotta love them!

BobbyK

Reaction score
I just finished listening to the albums I have of theirs... I just go on a binge sometimes... co-incidence that I just saw this thread.
Good to see some Americans into some music from down under. (Neil Finn calls the band Australian, if any New Zealander is reading this... haha)

:D

I really like his tone, I guess more his playing... it was never stereotypical (to me)

The best Les Paul I've ever played was a 71 goldtop (I haven't played many pauls, though)

complete with goof hiders!

Thanks so much for posting the pics, BTW.

rickym

Reaction score
Anytime BobbyK! I've been a fan since the Split Enz days. First saw them in '92. He had 2 AC30s on stage. This time he had 1 with a tweed Fender Deluxe (either re-issued or an oldie). The sound is unforgettable. So rich.

The actual concert was posted on YouTube the following day. Whoever posted it was way in back, the quality is still very good. I was in the 5th row so we got the stage sound - awesome. :)
Crowded House - Fall AT Your Feet Orpheum Theatre Los Angeles, CA pt2

goldtop0

Reaction score
Okay guys do any of you know what sunburst LP Neil is using.
I've seen a pic of it and it's a lemon/honey burst.........Historic or vintage, any of you guys got the low down on this?

single cut 54

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay guys do any of you know what sunburst LP Neil is using.
I've seen a pic of it and it's a lemon/honey burst.........Historic or vintage, any of you guys got the low down on this?
Hi goldtop, can you post a picture of Neils Burst please, or tell me where I can find the picture that you saw.Thanks.

EEF13

Reaction score
where could you buy good rings? lets say you wanna put a single coil in a les paul

goldtop0

Reaction score
Hi goldtop, can you post a picture of Neils Burst please, or tell me where I can find the picture that you saw.Thanks.

I came across it last night while searching on the web and will need to retrace my steps.
Some guys here in NZ say it' a '59 so it's well worth checking out, that's what got me going.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Turns out(as I kind of expected) that young Neil's got a very nice Historic.
One of the more informed blokes on our local guitar forum here in NZ chipped in saying he knew the LP.
For the life of me I couldn't find that pic again though:hmm:

Tycho

Reaction score
I saw them too, in Toronto. (In fact I'm wearing my CH '08 t-shirt right now!)

Neil is proof that you can do interesting things with the LP without just using the same old standard LP tones (much as we all love those). I remember being really surprised when I first realized he mostly used LPs.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Be interesting to know when/where he bought that goldtop... I sold mine (a Deluxe with goof rings) to a shop the late 70's - and Gibson Les Paul's were pretty scarce in that area (I lived close to the Finn Brothers at the time).

Btw those mini humbuckers can sound incredible... I especially like them on hollow body guitars.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I would suspect that he picked it up overseas.It's has a crazy crazed top and is well worn in.
In the '90s Norm Weir's son(Weir's Music- Hamilton) had a big headstock 70s Deluxe that they'd bought off a local farmer,he said at that time that he was keeping it and apart from that I've only ever seen two other Deluxe's here, one '68 owned by a local muso/store owner Eddy Pausma and the other by another muso/gingle writer Larry Killip ,I think his is a '68 also.

rickym

Reaction score
Here's Neil's Historic:

According to another forum, Neil has 2 goldtop's: the first is a '68 that's in the pics I posted. I think you can see Tim Finn playing it at the end of the "Message To My Girl" vid from Split Enz. So he's had it at least that long. The second is a 70s Goldtop with goof rings as well. Also with a creme switch ring.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that pic of his Historic rickym,that's the one that a few of the people on our local gat forum were misinformed about!!

Latest Threads