Need Your Advice On Adjusting The Neck On My LP

BornToLose95

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I am seeking some advice and opinions on setting up my Les Paul Studio. Ive had the guitar for over 11 years now and it was my number 1 for quite some time. About 8 years ago I had gotten it setup at guitar center with some Earnie ball 10‘s to use in the band that I was in at the time. Since then I’ve tried a bunch of different string gauges ranging from 9’s all the way up to 13’s never getting the guitar setup or adjusting the truss rod. I got a 74 SG about a year ago and haven’t really touched the Les Paul since.

The other day I decided To put some new strings on my Les Paul and start playing it again. Shortly after I plugged in I realized that the guitar was all out of wack. If I play the open d string it buzzes on the first fret. The guitar plays fine up until around the 10th fret, then the strings start getting real “plucky” or “quacking“ sounding with little to no sustain. I know that it’s probably a truss rod issue but i have a hard time eyeballing wether or not it’s a forward or a back bow. No matter how I adjust the truss rod they‘re is little to no improvement.

Would you folks recommend just taking the guitar to a shop and getting it setup and start fresh? Or would they’re be a way to fix this problem at home? I have some basic tools and a truss rod tool, but little experience on working on my guitar. I understand this may sound novice, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on it. Any Advice would be appreciated.

BDW60

Reaction score
I’d get it set up by a pro at this point. Decide the string gauge you want and stick with it. After it’s set up and playing well, you can start to do some reading and learning about basic guitar stuff so you can take care of things in the future. But with no experience, I wouldn’t start on one that is well out of whack.

Just my take ...

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Yep been there gone through that.
Did you replace the strings with the same sized set?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time, let a pro do it. While he has the guitar, watch every YouTube you can find on guitar setup.

Even if you decide to let the pro do it always, it is advantageous to be knowledgeable in that you will be able to savvy what he says and discuss intelligently with him....

There’s more to it than a simple Dances with Wrenches... ’By the dial’ is a starting point... Some are happy there... Some light players get away with lower, some chang-chang-ers need higher action for trying to beat the strings into submission....

Once you know what’s going on and have the knowledge, you can fiddle on a banger guitar to learn by doing...

Every guitar/bass has a sweet spot where the instrument will dance and sing for the player... Finding it is fun...but not quick... and not necessarily by the manu charts on the wall...

IF a guitar has a good neck, it can be made to play, regardless of the rest of it, how much it costs, etc.. Knowing WHAT to do comes with practice...

Know how it’s basically done whether YOU will ever want to do it yourself or not. Just plain good sense...

Fact: Murphy is always out there...watching...and waiting..... A tech in not always available when you need him... Just is.

BornToLose95

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I did a little tweeking myself on it and let it sit over night. I got home from work and played for a bit and still no improvements. Gonna take it to a local shop over the weekend to get it set up.

smk506

Reaction score
I’d let a pro handle it at this point. Ask them to detail what work they needed to do so you can tuck that info away for next time. Most of the maintenance is pretty straight forward, but getting to a good starting point can be tricky.

I’ve been doing my own work and for friends for about 15 years now and I’ll still take a guitar in for certain work, depending on my ability and desire to tackle certain issues.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you had the guitar set up for 13's, and then back to a lighter gauge, that could be the issue with the buzzing D on the first fret.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Seems to be a too straight neck (or back curved)
Press the first fret and the 13 fret (or where the neck joins the body) on the low E string and see how much relieve there is in the middle of this space (1 to 13)
Should be something like a visit card.
If no space at all relief your truss rod a bit ane recheck.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Definitely take it to a pro, but not to Guitar Center. There juat doesn't seem to be enough consistency in who works the tech bench at at GC stores to be a smart option. Pay a little more for a tech with a good reputation, and like others have said, get a detailed description of everything done to the guitar. Don't go changing string size unless you are able to make the necessary adjustments to make it work with that specific gauge.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a general rule, I try to NEVER use the terms pro and GC in the same sentence....

There are exceptions, true... B U T not as a general rule that I’ve witnessed.... I wouldn’t take a cowbell to GC...

smk506

Reaction score
As a general rule, I try to NEVER use the terms pro and GC in the same sentence....

There are exceptions, true... B U T not as a general rule that I’ve witnessed.... I wouldn’t take a cowbell to GC...
I’ve never had them do any work for me, but their little 2’x4’ ‘repair stations’ look pretty pitiful.

OP, where are you located, we can probably find you someone better than your GC.

Latest Threads