Need suggestions for a Solid State Amp

Victek

Reaction score
I currently have a Mustang 2 40w modeling amp. I like the fact that it's light and has more than enough volume for my needs, but I don't like most of the models and the complexity of dialing things in. I'd like to find essentially the same amp without the digital models - something like a Frontman 65R. I don't need "drive" in the amp. I had a Frontman 212R and really liked the sound (apart from the drive channel), but it was just too big and heavy. I would get a 65R, but they're hard to find at this point. I'll appreciate your recommendations for SS amps currently available - new or used is fine. TIA :)

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you like that series/type of amp. give the little Frontman 25 a look. It gets good write-ups, and not many bad remarks, it's simple to operate, and is easy on the wallet (and backbone). The whole FM series seems to be a success for Fender.

Victek

Reaction score
If you like that series/type of amp. give the little Frontman 25 a look. It gets good write-ups, and not many bad remarks, it's simple to operate, and is easy on the wallet (and backbone). The whole FM series seems to be a success for Fender.
Thanks for the reply. The 25R would probably be just fine for home use, but I wonder if it would have enough punch to use at the occasional open mike, etc? I'm thinking 40w-50w....?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Take a look at the Peavey Bandit which is 65 Watts. Similar type of operation.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I currently have a Mustang 2 40w modeling amp. I like the fact that it's light and has more than enough volume for my needs, but I don't like most of the models and the complexity of dialing things in. I'd like to find essentially the same amp without the digital models - something like a Frontman 65R. I don't need "drive" in the amp. I had a Frontman 212R and really liked the sound (apart from the drive channel), but it was just too big and heavy. I would get a 65R, but they're hard to find at this point. I'll appreciate your recommendations for SS amps currently available - new or used is fine. TIA :)
Your current amp is great and can sound pretty much just like and even better than a Frontman 65R and especially better than a 25R. Just dial in the Deluxe Reverb and don't use any other effects except maybe a little reverb and save it as a preset. I love the Mustang Amps, they sound very good IMO.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Another one for the Peavey Bandit - great amps and incredibly difficult to break.
I like the cleans of their Transtube line as well.

You should be able to find the Peaveys and some Fender Frontman 65s in pawn shops reasonably.

rem22

Reaction score
The mustang is one of the best SS (affordable) amps on the market...just use it in manual as suggested.

studio1087

Reaction score
I don't know what the budget is but the Orange Crush solid state amps are very nice. Our other guitar player has the 120H head and a 2x12 bottom. It sounds fantastic. The controls are just like a traditional tube amp. No nonsense. They make lower powered combos as well.

chef

Reaction score
I've heard some great clips of Quilter solid state amps. They are pretty lightweight, especially in head format and can drive a 4x12 rather loudly if called upon.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Have you considered a Fender Super Champ X2? It's a SS amp that warms the sound with tubes. It has two channels, channel 1 is a clean blackface channel and channel two models 16 amps. It's really simple to use, meaning you don't need to have an advance degree to use it, it also has solid effects on board, is affordable and sounds so much better than any other modeling amp in it's price range. It's part of Fenders "Vintage Modified" series of amps and it's one hell of an amp. I know I said it already, but it must be said again, it is so very easy to use. It comes in a combo version with a 10" speaker, or a head/cabinet version that has a 12" speaker for more volume. Food for thought.

rem22

Reaction score
it's basically a Mustang and a tube channel, so I'm not sure he'll be interested in the 16 amps of channel too.
I do believe he should stick to his mustang and learn how to use it in manual mode.

voggin

Reaction score
I have a Mustang III, and I find the LCD panel easier to work with than the I and II's interfaces. I'm a visual guy, so the fake-knob thing on the III's screen makes adjusting the amp models very easy.

I pretty much just use the classic fender models. The deluxe model is amazing. The III is 100 watts with a twelve inch speaker, so it's plenty loud.

calvin1

Reaction score
You can dial in most of the sounds you want on the mustang,stick with it its a good amp.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The 25R would probably be just fine for home use, but I wonder if it would have enough punch to use at the occasional open mike, etc? I'm thinking 40w-50w....?
I think it would have the volume - depending on the size of the room of course - but I can't say for absolute sure. Just remember there is not a whole lot of difference in perceived loudness between 25 Watts and 50 Watts.

Victek

Reaction score
here is some advice, get a tube amp
Well, I would love to get a tube amp. I understand the benefits, but here's the thing: my 40watt Mustang weighs about 25lbs and I paid $100 for it used. If you can point me at a combo tube amp for say <$200 at comparable power and weight I will have a serious look, but I don't think it exists.

slapshot

Reaction score
maybe ^ but he did ask about SS so ... yeah
go for a used 65r then
for what they are they're a really good unit actually.
they have that "champion" range available nowadays but it still has a load of extra doohickeys and stuff on it but probably not as much

Latest Threads