Need some smooth dirty tone!!

hardrock420

Reaction score
Currently running a 2010 traditional les Paul into a dr maz 8 with my only dirt being a RAT and an OCD. Goes without sayin this tone is downright raunchy, we’ll sometimes I like to play some smooth sounding stuff like AIC Facelift kinda distortion..I really need a pedal for when I want to jam or shred smooth!

PJSD

Reaction score
Try the Friedman BE pedal... I think that's what its called. Cantrel plays Friedman amps, or get the amp for a few grand.

drew365

Reaction score
I have a BE-OD and I don't consider it smooth. It's always kind of buzzy to me, which is why it's sitting on the shelf. Maybe I need to put more time into it.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
Could consider a fuzz into an OD or vice versa. I know, fuzz has become associated with grunge and sputtering maxed-out dirt, but Gilmour relies on a Big Muff too. A Soul Food is a cheap partner, that produces a fair amount of gain on its own as well. Pricer versions of these "foundation pedals" include your OCD, and the Dirty Little Secret.

Come to think of it, a Rat has some fuzzy qualities, have you tried both at once?

A lot of pedals lean towards Marshall-in-a-box, you probably want "American" voicings, or something Vox-like.

I have an old Mudhoney that will definitely do smooth. I think it was discontinued and brought back, I don't know how the new ones compare. It's Rat-related, so you may not love it, especially at the price (I just checked, yikes!)

JohnnyN

Reaction score
Could consider a fuzz into an OD or vice versa. I know, fuzz has become associated with grunge and sputtering maxed-out dirt, but Gilmour relies on a Big Muff too. A Soul Food is a cheap partner, that produces a fair amount of gain on its own as well. Pricer versions of these "foundation pedals" include your OCD, and the Dirty Little Secret.

Come to think of it, a Rat has some fuzzy qualities, have you tried both at once?

A lot of pedals lean towards Marshall-in-a-box, you probably want "American" voicings, or something Vox-like.

I have an old Mudhoney that will definitely do smooth. I think it was discontinued and brought back, I don't know how the new ones compare. It's Rat-related, so you may not love it, especially at the price (I just checked, yikes!)

I have one of the old ones too. It's been on my board longer than any of the other pedals, and I think it will be last one to pull off.

T-Rex Effects have been through some financial problems, but are still in business.
The Mudhoney is one of the 3 original pedals they started making here in Denmark again a couple of years ago. They still make them, but they are sold out in several of the stores here in EU, and UK.

mdubya

Reaction score
A modeled Timmy pedal is one of the smoothest I have experienced.

My Maxon OD 808 with drive and tone set very low is really smooth, too.

MXR has a new Timmy

This 355 with a tubescreamer was my inspiration for the OD 808.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I have one of the old ones too. It's been on my board longer than any of the other pedals, and I think it will be last one to pull off.
That's no joke. I went on a dirt pedal buying spree along with the other guitar player I was in a band with until 2012. Between us, we easily bought and/or sold 40 of them. I probably still have over a dozen. The Mudhoney has never come off my board though.

Liquid State

Reaction score
get a Xotic BB Preamp. Very smooth overdive. If base orange version is not enough, the custom shop Comp model has a compression toggle that really smooths it out. Check it out, is a great OD pedal

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some good suggestions but the Maz 8 should be able to give you some smooth grit on it's own......no pedal required

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any Klon clone, probably any TS type pedal as well. Barring that, look at Dumble voiced pedals (Wampler Eiphoria comes to mind)

Latest Threads