Need some help with LP Identification

lovehifi

Reaction score
Guy just email me about a possible trade for a Strat I have. He said its a 2014 Gibson Custom Shop Lemonburst. In the pics it looks VOS and had what appears to me a Anniversary emblem on the fretboard. Just have not seen one like this. Any thoughts or help would be great.
image0.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

lovehifi

Reaction score
Guy says it a It is a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic 120th Anniversary and he had the Custom Shop do some upgrades.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
This one does not fool me.
I had a 2014 LP Traditional Honey Burst in the past with very similar streaked grain pattern on the top.

Looks like a 2014 LP Traditional Honey Burst with the following mods:

1. Aged nickel pup covers, bridge, tailpiece.
2. PUP selector switch cover plate changed out.
3. PUP selector switch tip changed to amber.
4. TRC plate changed from Traditional to blank.

They even flipped the bridge and saddles on that Nashville so that the screws are facing the pickups like an ABR-1.

Look at the "MODEL" font on the headstock.
That is typical of a regular production USA model.
Tuners are also incorrect for Custom Shop.
Should be press fit bushings.

See "MODEL" on headstock below for comparison...

Last edited:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Guy says it a It is a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic 120th Anniversary and he had the Custom Shop do some upgrades.
Gibson's Custom Shop doesn't do mods to customers' guitars.

He means he bought a Custom Shop switchplate on eBay or Reverb and put it on his Gibson USA LP Classic.

(Many people who buy CS Historics take those switchplates off and replace them with vintage-correct plastic. Some keep them with rest of the case candy, some sell them.)

The Custom Shop has made versions of the LP Classic, but those have a CS decal on the back of the headstock, thin fretboard binding, and ABR bridges.
--------------------------
Assuming it's actually a Classic as he said and not a Trad or some other Gibson USA model...

I looked up the specs of the 2014 120th Anniversary LP Classic. Should have chrome hardware -- looks like he replaced everything with nickel.

Stock pickups were open coils. He may just have added nickel covers, or may have replaced the pickups entirely.

Factory was 3 speed knobs, with a mini-toggle where the bridge tone knob usually is. That was a smaller hole -- he had to enlarge it to add the normal tone knob.

The switch was for the built-in 15dB boost/preamp -- he may have removed that.

The volume knobs were push/pull for coil splitting.

Grover tuners were replaced with Kluson-style.
-------------------------
None of those mods are bad. A lot of players like me would actually prefer what he's done to it.

Especially because the mods don't add any value (possibly reduce value). Cheaper than buying a stock used one and then buying new parts for it.
---------------------------
Bottom line, it's a modded LP Classic worth no more than any other LP Classic (probably less).

lovehifi

Reaction score
Gibson's Custom Shop doesn't do mods to customers' guitars.

He means he bought a Custom Shop switchplate on eBay or Reverb and put it on his Gibson USA LP Classic.

(Many people who buy CS Historics take those switchplates off and replace them with vintage-correct plastic. Some keep them with rest of the case candy, some sell them.)

The Custom Shop has made versions of the LP Classic, but those have a CS decal on the back of the headstock, thin fretboard binding, and ABR bridges.
--------------------------
Assuming it's actually a Classic as he said and not a Trad or some other Gibson USA model...

I looked up the specs of the 2014 120th Anniversary LP Classic. Should have chrome hardware -- looks like he replaced everything with nickel.

Stock pickups were open coils. He may just have added nickel covers, or may have replaced the pickups entirely.

Factory was 3 speed knobs, with a mini-toggle where the bridge tone knob usually is. That was a smaller hole -- he had to enlarge it to add the normal tone knob.

The switch was for the built-in 15dB boost/preamp -- he may have removed that.

The volume knobs were push/pull for coil splitting.

Grover tuners were replaced with Kluson-style.
-------------------------
None of those mods are bad. A lot of players like me would actually prefer what he's done to it.

Especially because the mods don't add any value (possibly reduce value). Cheaper than buying a stock used one and then buying new parts for it.
---------------------------
Bottom line, it's a modded LP Classic worth no more than any other LP Classic (probably less).
Here is what he said. "It is a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic 120th Anniversary. In 2014 I had Gibson Custom Shop “upgrade” it. They installed 50’s style wiring harness, tonepros locking bridge & tailpiece, ‘57 classic paf’s, amber knobs, amber switch tip, blank truss rod cover, did a full set up, and Custom shop historic series switch plate cover. It has the 120th Anniversary inlay at the 12th fret. So, this one is pretty much a one off, upgraded to look and play like an R8 model. Dead mint with original case, and plays great. "

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is what he said. "It is a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Classic 120th Anniversary. In 2014 I had Gibson Custom Shop “upgrade” it. They installed 50’s style wiring harness, tonepros locking bridge & tailpiece, ‘57 classic paf’s, amber knobs, amber switch tip, blank truss rod cover, did a full set up, and Custom shop historic series switch plate cover. It has the 120th Anniversary inlay at the 12th fret. So, this one is pretty much a one off, upgraded to look and play like an R8 model. Dead mint with original case, and plays great. "
Call Gibson Custom Shop ,.... they will tell you they don’t do mods to regular production Gibson’s.

You’re being fooled.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
There’s no way the Custom Shop would add that switch plate anyway, even if they did work on it.

pondcaster

Reaction score
It is true that there's a sucker born every minute.

Problem is there's two scammers born every 15 seconds.

This guy's about 30m from me? He's spinning some yarn trying to sell that as something it's clearly not. And his story is such dreck.

Smoke out the fraudulent scumbag sellers, I say.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
"Never attribute malice to that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

There are people who genuinely believe Squier has a "Custom Shop", others who genuinely think there are Epiphone Custom Shop guitars. There are people who think that Fender owns and operates their Authorized Service Centers, and that the techs are Fender employees.

He may have believed that "Gibson Custom Shop" can refer to mods done to new guitars by Gibson Authorized Retailers.

$1400 in the Craigslist ad is pretty reasonable. He's not trying to con anyone into paying Custom Shop prices for a modified Gibson USA.

kakerlak

Reaction score
So is this a Traditional or a Classic? Did classics say "Classic" or "Model" on the headstock in 2014? IIRC, they started out "Model" and switched to "Classic;" did they switch back at some point?

The CS claims are screwy -- AFAIK, Gibson is not available to do post-purchase mods to customer instruments, but, as others have said, it's at least a legit guitar and if it's being sold/traded around that $1400 price point, that's pretty fair.

Haprom

Reaction score
Hahaha,,, The Guy Selling That Guitar Is A Bullshit Artist...

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2020 R9 that was converted in my custom shop. $3500.

Latest Threads