Need some help with a decision.

BUDOKAI

Reaction score
your cool arent you, so what your about 50, im 16 and you love harresing me dont you, why do always have to put threads to shit the man asked a question if i answered wrong i have no problem correcting it.
you suck, give up!!!!

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Wow I missed a lot. And dont call me stupid LL, atleast I dont force the entire forum to hate me.

Well I guess you were right Jeff. He couldnt win and he didnt.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for 10 years, and ever since playing an ex-girlfriend's '72 Deluxe I've been determined to get a Les Paul. I've spent a lot of time learning as much as possible about the differences in years and models in order to make an informed first purchase. I don't really care about aesthetics beyond that I want the pick guard on it and I really like sunburst (That means almost no LP Customs.) I just want really good tone for the money.

I know that I definitely want a solid body, with no weight relief or chambering. I just can't decide what to go with. I'm leaning towards finding an early Norlin, like 1970-1973 Deluxe, and just swapping the minis for P90s, or tracking down a '74 Standard. I figure these are good bets because I don't really care for the maple neck introduced after that.

Now, my only problem with committing to this decision is the pancake body. I played that '72 extensively, and I loved it to death. I can say that the tone was amazing. But I've honestly not spent as much time (if any) on any other Les Paul, so I don't know how that changes the tonality of the instrument. I'm looking for some feedback here.

Barring those options, I think a safe bet might be the 2009 '59 reissue (not VOS, I don't want fake aging.) Solid body, great hardware, I just don't like being grouped up with those guys who try to get as close to a '59 as possible and do things like get ridiculously expensive aftermarket 'vintage' hardware in order to be accurate and take razors/chemicals to their guitars to make them look aged. (I also don't like the pricetag on those R9s!)

I'm leaning towards trying to find a 1970-1974, but I want to learn more about how the pancake body can affect tone. Opinions or advice?
"May I quote you":thumb:

Sorry. I just got home!

Thundergod

Reaction score
Where do I sign up to become ledlover's fan?

...you know, so that I dont go near that place at all :laugh2:

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Jesus, I go over to my friend's house to play Left 4 Dead 2 for a few hours, and when I get back there's a trench battle going on in my thread.

Listen, I'm not a complete newb, I know a lot about these guitars. I know the difference in the '58, '59, '60s, and Page neck profiles, as well as the difference between say an R8 and a real '58's neck profile. I also know that I'm fine playing any of those except a real '58 because I have small, weak hands, and I like really heavy strings. I'm not claiming to know everything, but I mean shit, I even read up on the pots and wiring between the different models.

I didn't start this thread in order for you guys to school me about the differences in year/models, or to get into arguments with each other about who knows their shit and who's full of shit. If I wanted a discussion about specs, I would go read some stickies (that I've already poured over.) The point of this thread was to get a discussion on your guys' opinions as far as what guitar I should get for the tone I want, as well as to maybe get some opinions on pancake body tone. To be more clear, I will mostly be playing heavy strings in the neck position with the tone dropped almost to none, and the volume rolled off to about 80%. I like that thick, warm, heavy sound.

Back on track:

I'm getting the feeling that the people who like the reissues like them because they themselves are collectors, or they just like having the best possible gear (specs wise) Not necessarily because they play them all the time and enjoy the tone compared to other LPs.

From poking around, it seems like the Norlin guys are hardcore about how warm their pancakes are, much to the chagrin of the non Norlin owners who make comments like "at what point does a pancake body become a plywood body?" It really seems like one of those situations where either you get it, or you don't. Having fallen in love with that '72, and really appreciating the warm heavy sound (I play stuff like Kyuss and Acid King) I guess I just get it.

Now, someone mentioned a Tobacco Burst Custom? I mentioned that I liked Sunburst, but I really meant like the Cherry Sunburst or Light Sunburst colors, Tobacco is really too brown for me. I also prefer the white hardware over the black hardware for the same lame eye pleasing reasons. But hey, if I'm going to make an investment in a guitar, I might as well enjoy everything about it, including the looks.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I had no way of knowing how much you know or don't know, I just wasn't gonna let lover boy give a new member incorrect information. :thumb: Welcome to MLP.

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Holy Jesus. So I read around the forums for a bit, and decide to go look at my local craigslist postings for guitars. I search for Les Paul. After 200 or so Epiphones/fakes/customs/juniors/etc, wouldn't you know it? The very last posting is a 1973 Deluxe with 100% original hardware. Still has the minis in and everything.

Sent the guy an email asking for more pictures and possibly a serial number. He wants $3,200 for it. If this works out, looks like I might be selling my 1950 Gretsch Synchromatic 100 that literally just sits in the case, never played.

I'll keep you guys posted! :fingersx:

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Well duh, but craigslist guys can always be talked down.

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Seriously, that was like 4 hours. We only beat 2 campaigns!

Still waiting on a reply from the guy.

1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

There's the post. What do you guys think I should try to pay for that, based on the limited photos so far? It looks in pretty decent condition, but I haven't seen any detailed photos yet. Internet says ~$2500, I think I might try getting it lower than that maybe?

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Seriously, that was like 4 hours. We only beat 2 campaigns!

Still waiting on a reply from the guy.

1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

There's the post. What do you guys think I should try to pay for that, based on the limited photos so far? It looks in pretty decent condition, but I haven't seen any detailed photos yet. Internet says ~$2500, I think I might try getting it lower than that maybe?

You should be able to get a lower price. I often see the Deluxe models go for 2 grand off craigslist (I live in the NorCal area so every now and then I'll hit up the listings in Sacramento and the Bay Area.)

Good luck with the haggling. I really think you're making the right decision though, and going after the Les Paul you really want! :jam:

Xavier_32

Reaction score
HAHAHAHA, quick little slightly related side-note.

I just found out that my 1950 Grestch Synchromatic is actually a 1938 Synchromatic 100 PROTOTYPE that was made to test out the new features before the Synchromatic was officially launched in 1939. This makes it worth a little more. That should help soften the financial dent of a new Les Paul lol :laugh2:

Pictures just for the hell of it.

Here's the body:
DSC02580.jpg

This is the all wood Bridge:
DSC02582.jpg

Close-up of the tail piece:
DSC02583.jpg

And here's the interesting headstock that just now identified the year:
DSC02585.jpg

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back on track:

I'm getting the feeling that the people who like the reissues like them because they themselves are collectors, or they just like having the best possible gear (specs wise) Not necessarily because they play them all the time and enjoy the tone compared to other LPs.

Not true at all. Myself and many gig our Historics regularly, and play the shit out of them. They are BETTER GUITARS. (This includes both feel and tone IMO) I'm no "collector" - I play everything I own, to include my vintage stuff.

From poking around, it seems like the Norlin guys are hardcore about how warm their pancakes are, much to the chagrin of the non Norlin owners who make comments like "at what point does a pancake body become a plywood body?" It really seems like one of those situations where either you get it, or you don't. Having fallen in love with that '72, and really appreciating the warm heavy sound (I play stuff like Kyuss and Acid King) I guess I just get it.

VERY few people here have anything bad to say about Norlins. Many of us who own Norlins and Historics prefer our Norlins. (And, "actually play them" as well).

Now, someone mentioned a Tobacco Burst Custom? I mentioned that I liked Sunburst, but I really meant like the Cherry Sunburst or Light Sunburst colors, Tobacco is really too brown for me. I also prefer the white hardware over the black hardware for the same lame eye pleasing reasons. But hey, if I'm going to make an investment in a guitar, I might as well enjoy everything about it, including the looks.

I did make an "on track" comment with not as much as a mention of or response from you, for what it is worth.

Xavier_32

Reaction score
Must have not seen your post, I was trying to skim through the flamewar.

Latest Threads