Need some help. Bridge posts hole

Tonyd145

Reaction score
IMG_1115.JPG
Im building a Flying V and I'm to the point I'm placing the bridge. This is the first time I've used this type of Tune-o matic with the small post instead of studs and bushing. Got the bridge from Stewart McDonald and they don't list what size hole to drill. Also does the post thread into the body or just sit in the hole.

ARandall

Reaction score
There are a few different sizes of posts, but usually with SM they will have a diagram with measurements.

But just size your drill bit the same way you'd do like with any other threaded screw you want to install.......erring slightly on the side of larger as its not really holding things together. Sometimes people will cut threads so you don't have to do it as you're installing.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
You definitely want them to thread into the body, not just sitting in a hole. What I've done is get a threaded screw of the same pitch and use that with a screw driver to make threads in the wood.

Chicago John

Reaction score
You can use a #36 drill bit and drill the full length of the hole that you will need to screw in the stud. Lubricate the stud with some wax, and then the stud (which is essentially a 6/32 machine screw with the head cut off) can safely cut its own threads. To grip the stud, you can lock two nuts against each other.

pshupe

Reaction score
They definitely thread into the body. Just test a few holes in scrap and pick the one that's the best. I also do this with tailpiece studs. Depending on the type of wood you may be able to drill slightly smaller or slightly larger. Note, unless they are vintage there should be a small hex key in one end of the screw stud making it easier to use the tool to put them in and out.

Cheers Peter.

PS - did you scroll down half a page from where you got the pic above?
Capture.JPG

Tonyd145

Reaction score
Yes I seen the diagram SM provides. I've just tested some on scrap piece of Mahogany and I'll use the double nut trick to drive them into the hole by hand. Thanks to all the replied. I just thought I'd ask the question because I know several of the awesome builders here in the Luthiers Section have installed this type on builds. Thanks

pshupe

Reaction score
TBH I would always drill a test hole for any thing you want to put in your build. I have purchased a lot of things from Stew Mac and other places and the number of times what they say has differed from reality is staggering. For something like this drill a hole in scrap of the same wood and check it out. Nothing worse than drilling and finding out it's the wrong size. I make enough mistakes that ARE my fault and don't need someone else adding to that number. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

Tonyd145

Reaction score
I've never experienced any problems with using the stud and bushing style of bridge. Used the same Gotoh on all my builds with the exception of the Stratocaster and this Flying V. Like I posted earlier, that this is the first time using this type.

ARandall

Reaction score
Even if the hole diameter is perfect on the diagram, you'd be amazed how many drillbits don't actually drill the size hole they purport to.

Also add in some light oil into the hole to help with the threading process.

Tonyd145

Reaction score
Ok, well I went to my local Mom and Pop Hardware store(rather give them my business than the other chain stores) picked up a 7/64 drill bit and 4mm-0.70 tap. Came home and set it up on my drill press and it worked out great. Tapped the hole by hand and used some wax on the threads of the post. Post spread at 2 29/32. Bridge fit perfect, looks to be plenty of room to intonation. Thanks again to all that helped.

w666

Reaction score
I no longer rely on the claimed drill size, electing instead to measure the drill I need before I drill (also a good idea to roll the bit on a flat plate since wobbly bits make larger hols than advertised).

You can get digital calipers these days for like $10 or $15 (this example $15 @ Home Depot).

Frogfur

Reaction score
View attachment 344267 Im building a Flying V and I'm to the point I'm placing the bridge. This is the first time I've used this type of Tune-o matic with the small post instead of studs and bushing. Got the bridge from Stewart McDonald and they don't list what size hole to drill. Also does the post thread into the body or just sit in the hole.
Take a careful outside diameter measurement and use a thread pitch gauge to determine what size hole to begin with and what your thread pitch is. Pretty simple.

Tonyd145

Reaction score
Already done the deed. Thanks for your input, but the fat lady has sung so to speak.

Latest Threads