Need some advice with OD pedal choice with Fuzz Face

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
I need a good OD pedal to run my Ge Sun Face into. I solely run my amp clean, so OD pedals are my chosen path to get the most out of my Sun Face.

I currently have a Charlie Brown v3 that I use, and it works really well being a JTM45/Bassman style. The problem is that I want to also run it independently. I have to keep the gain rather low with the Sun Face, but need more gain when used alone.

is there something else that I should take a look at? I was thinking maybe a Honey Bee OD?

Help a brother out. Throw some ideas my way.

Thanks my fellow gear heads!

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The very best pedal I've used as a boost for ANY fuzz pedal is a good ol' EQ pedal, like a BOSS GE-7. I have a similar Ibanez, and I use that to get some really different tones out of my fuzz pedals. With an EQ, I can take my BuGGFX Raincoat (BuGG's take on a Ram's Head/Civil War mutation) and turn it into a ballsy distortion pedal.

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
An EQ pedal never crossed my mind, but would still not work for my second purpose. I guess I could dedicate an EQ to the fuzz and roll with the Charlie Brown, or alternative by itself. Thanks for the reply.

freefrog

Reaction score
I need a good OD pedal to run my Ge Sun Face into. I solely run my amp clean, so OD pedals are my chosen path to get the most out of my Sun Face.

I currently have a Charlie Brown v3 that I use, and it works really well being a JTM45/Bassman style. The problem is that I want to also run it independently. I have to keep the gain rather low with the Sun Face, but need more gain when used alone.

is there something else that I should take a look at? I was thinking maybe a Honey Bee OD?

Help a brother out. Throw some ideas my way.

Thanks my fellow gear heads!
Since you ask for ideas, I'll share a subjective testimonial with a different perspective: one of my pedalboards includes a FF clone with a compressor + a treble booster + a Wah + a TS clone before it and several OD's after it too. All are true Bypass FX's, BTW.

I rarely use the FF into an OD: it systematically sounds "destructured" to my ears but in a bad way, with farting sounds, sag effect cutting the attack of some notes and so on. I use this formula only when I want that "old dirty fuzz" sound for a few notes played slowly.

Conversely, I often enable effects before my FF.... Having the comp and/or TS enabled between wah and FF allows to use the two FX's together. Enabling the TB or TS before the FF makes it gainier and tighter, with more high mids and a better ability to cut through the mix...

So, although I know that many people play with a fuzz feeding an OD, I'd tend to recommend the contrary: TB or TS in FF in my case.

This advice can be extended to Muff's IME/ IMHO.

YMMV.

FOOTNOTE: just to be clear, my FF clone is a silicon model that I've built with cherry picked components (NOS caps and transistors etc). I've also fitted it wht a push pull volume pot enablng a limiiting input resistor. It makes the effect itself more "OD" sounding and useable with the wah, even alone. FWIW.

Now, do what you want and be happy! :)

Last edited:

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for sharing your experiences. The pedal I’m talking about if Germanium and doesn’t get along with really anything in front of it and reacts better into an OD since I’m using a solid state Orange right now.

I do have a custome pedal that houses a Colorsound Overdriver clone and a Silicon Fuzz Face and I love hitting that Fuzz Face with the Overdriver and a TS-9 sometimes.

Anyways, to update, sold the Charlie Brown. Just wasn’t working for me. Bought a Prince of Tone and am going to try that out. Wanted the POT anyways, so no loss.

freefrog

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for sharing your experiences. The pedal I’m talking about if Germanium and doesn’t get along with really anything in front of it and reacts better into an OD since I’m using a solid state Orange right now.
You're welcome but I realize that my testimonial needs a precision: I've used low hfe silicon transistors, in such a way that my fuzz with its input resistor reminds a Ge model... Not exactly similar but close enough for my ears as well as versatile since it cooperates with "predrive" effects.

Not saying to ditch Germanium: my two home made treble boosters host Ge transistors... Just stating that a Si fuzz "tuned" for low gain can mimic a Ge model IMHO/ IME. YMMV.

But it's true that the sound of such FX totally depends on the amp used: I've no experience with solid state Orange amps so I'll shut my mouth now.

Good luck again in your quest! :cool:

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
The newest Crush line (I have the 35rt) have the same preamp topology as the Rockerverb, with transistors instead of tubes. All analog and is honestly fantastic. The preamp just eats up pedals, except Fuzz Face variants. I was 100% a tube snob. Not going to hide it. This amp changed my mind. Solid State can be done right.

jwinger

Reaction score
24v Hudson broadcast is SENSATIONAL after a sunface/fuzzface

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
Update. Sold the Price of Tone. Absolutely not my thing. Bought a Tube Driver (not here yet) and am running both my Ge and Si Sun Face pedals into the Colorsound Overdriver side of my custom Color Fuzz. The Si side is redundant and doesn’t get used. This has now morphed into me doing a Gilmour board. Fun times!

Grenville

Reaction score
I've used a Timmy after fuzzes for years. Fuzzes have included Dunlop FF, Mojo Hand Huckleberry, Skreddy Lunar Module, PigDog Effects Pitbull (Rangemaster) and more. It's been great with all of them.

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
Case closed. Got a chance to try a Vick Audio Overdriver (Colorsound Power Boost/Overdriver). Fantastic!!! One is now in the mail. Sold the Color Fuzz. Didn’t care for the Si Fuzz Face Side plus I have an awesome one from Analog.man. Thanks for everyone’s time and thoughts.

jwinger

Reaction score
Also very good after a fuzz face - particularly if you are looking to smooth out any rough edges or have a particularly bright fuzz - is the Jan Ray. Got that tip from Doyle Bramhall and he's absolutely right, it's a magical combo

Latest Threads