Need some advice on this vintage LP

judson

Reaction score
Good question
I have a rolltop desk that keeps my fly tying and guitar stuff somewhat tidy.
It will live in there i suppose.

hey as my dad always told me....ya gotta ask because you never know what people are thinking..

thanks, it should play better now no doubt, have fun with it

:thumb:

Rodmac

Reaction score
Yank that off there. If it was meant to have one - Ted would have done it.

Pete M

Reaction score
I think an important thing to remember is, even if you are competent at repairs, you have to live with it. If you try and repair the holes, rather than see it as an improvement you might always look at it as something you ****ed with and probably didn't quite get right. It's never going to be an invisible repair.

58 special

Reaction score
Yellow wax crayon closest to original color. 2 minute fix

capnjim

Reaction score
58 special beat me to it....buy a pack of crayons and find the closest color and fill them. 5 minute fix!

judson

Reaction score
dont try to cover anything on it, leave the holes

then when someone asks tell them the story of your dad and uncle

it would be great to hear the discussion between them verbatim after your dad see's it, prolly amusing...i hope they still talk to each other and play if they are still around

deaninkl

Reaction score
as suggested above, I would go with just taking off the appendage.. get it back to stock, leave the holes as long as they don't bother you and just play it. Take plenty of picture...

It's now well documented any renovation you do in the future wont harm it.

It looks to be in very good condition, appendage is ugly... needs to come off.

These are great guitars, have fun with it.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
That's an almost pristine original finish- any attempt at plugging and camouflaging the holes would harm it. Leave 'em, or (as suggested above) do a non-damaging fill with yellow wax.

Moose13

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies!
My son and i have been playing it every night and really enjoying it. Such a cool guitar, plays very nice now. Eh the holes im not worried a bit about them it is what it is.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Leave the holes. I've done a number of refinishes and finish repairs, and trying to match three spots on a '50s TV is going to be a nightmare, where you are more likely to mess up some spot of the original finish.

decoy205

Reaction score
The holes show the story of the guitar. It's a great family heirloom with a bit of history. Play and enjoy!

judson

Reaction score
The holes show the story of the guitar. It's a great family heirloom with a bit of history. Play and enjoy!

^^^yes 100%

and the moral of the story is,

before you go drilling holes in a guitar, ask a brother first !

:thumb:

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Take it off and leave the holes, they're only three small screw holes.

BrianB

Reaction score
Or you could put a sticker over the holes...like this one;

I KEED...

Nice '57. Leave it be and rock it. :thumb:

moreles

Reaction score
Hopefully, there are only holes and no other damage, though be prepared to possibly encounter pressure damage, or -- hope not -- even hacks and dings from what is, after all, a moving part. Despite what is said above, it is actually rather easy to tint some fill to come very close to the finish, and that (or wax, a good suggestion above) is all that I would do. "The Beauty of the Burst" shows a large # of LPs that were defaced with Bigsbys, and those owners invariably do a simple fill and rarely have the area refinished. Fill the holes relatively unobtrusively and move on seems to be a good standard. Great, great guitar!

jimi55lp

Reaction score
If you use the crayon method, dowel the holes and seal the tops with shellac so the crayon doesn't bleed into the wood plus much less crayon needed with dowels. The dowels can always be drilled down a bit to install full restoration dowels up to the finish with best grain match if you do want to touch up. How about just removing the wammy handle and using a MOJOAXE wraptail with compensated saddle for better intonation? Save your original wraptail for any future restorations, the times and outlooks much later on will trend to refins as all else fails. I'd do the least intrusive method first just to be sure where you want to go? Mojoaxe wraptails are about 135.00 give or take and if your mounted vibrato is stable you could use it as a stoptail not have much tone loss? You should know where the tone is now with it being set up for so long this way, and make the choice of string mounting on the wraptail or the wammy. Experiment in safe reversible moves. Love that Special!

Moose13

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, so far i have removed it and have been playing it and enjoying the guitar. I talked to an old retired luthier that i know and he said very sternly "whatever you do, do not mess with the holes!" Thats it.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
thanks for the replies, so far i have removed it and have been playing it and enjoying the guitar. I talked to an old retired luthier that i know and he said very sternly "whatever you do, do not mess with the holes!" Thats it.
Good advice.