Need some advice on this guitar I just received..Restoration worth the cost?

flyingdutchman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just received this 1962 Harmony Jupiter (Stratotone) in the mail today. At first glance I notice that some of the fretboard binding is pulling away from the neck. No biggie, a little JB Weld (I meant Weld-On but I'm a dumb-ass) will fix that. Then I decide to put it up on the table and give it a good once over and find a few things that are really wrong.

Here is the fretboard binding issue:

DSC02830.jpg

DSC02823.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

It looks like someone already tried to glue it back together once before but the glue failed. There is also some glue residue on top of the nut which makes me thing that the glue job got a bit sloppy. Also those deep wear grooves in the fretboard itself bother me as well.

After that I looked down the neck of the guitar from the bridge and saw this:

DSC02827.jpg

DSC02826.jpg

A replaced fret with lots of glue residue on the fretboard confirming the fret replacement. Also the replaced fret is not the same fret at all. Different thickness.
Plus there were a few other areas that didnt make me feel to warm and fuzzy:

DSC02832.jpg

DSC02833.jpg

At this point Im at a bit of a crossroad. The seller assured me that he wants to pay to have the repairs made but Im not sure that is going to be cost effective. The neck needs alot of cosmetic work. Its a good playing neck as is. I just dont want it to continue to fall apart. The guitar is really cool and the foil pickups are sweet. Is this guitar worth restoring the neck or should I attempt to get a refund and try to find one that presents itself a little bit nicer.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys...:dude:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mill the fret (or have the one fret replaced), glue down the binding, and be done with it.

Fingerboard grooves on old guitars is very common - I've got several that are or were like that. A couple I had planed and refretted, but they were an old Gibson and an old Guild and were worth the few hundred bucks it took to do so.

The '65 Fender I'm playing right now has some pretty deep grooves...

BBBBill

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just received this 1962 Harmony Jupiter (Stratotone) in the mail today. At first glance I notice that some of the fretboard binding is pulling away from the neck. No biggie, a little JB Weld will fix that....

It looks like someone already tried to glue it back together once before but the glue failed. There is also some glue residue on top of the nut which makes me thing that the glue job got a bit sloppy...

I'm not a luthier, but JB Weld???? Don't think so. I'd use something more appropriate for wood and plastic. CA probably.

flyingdutchman

Reaction score
I'm not a luthier, but JB Weld???? Don't think so. I'd use something more appropriate for wood and plastic. CA probably.

I was taking a look at some glues on StewMac and this seems to be quite popular in repairing binding:

STEWMAC.COM : Weld-On Cement

My bad on the name..Not JB Weld. Its called Weld-On. I thought the same things as well about using CA glue but you know what happens when you start reading everything on the intrawebs :confused:

flyingdutchman

Reaction score
Mill the fret (or have the one fret replaced), glue down the binding, and be done with it.

Fingerboard grooves on old guitars is very common - I've got several that are or were like that. A couple I had planed and refretted, but they were an old Gibson and an old Guild and were worth the few hundred bucks it took to do so.

The '65 Fender I'm playing right now has some pretty deep grooves...

Im thinking you may have the right idea..I would like that fret issue resolved though so I think a luthier is going to have to do it.

flyingdutchman

Reaction score
Off to BCR so Greg can do the work. This makes me feel alot better about the purchase. I know it will be done right and will extend its years of usefulness by 10 fold. I'll update this thread when all is done and the guitar is back with me. Thanks again for the advice and input. Its much appreciated!

Barnaby

Reaction score
That's a very happy ending to the story. It'll be a magic axe once it comes back! :thumb:

I really like the Stratotone Jupiter and have seriously been thinking about one, but can't possibly justify it, so you can revel in my jealousy instead! :wave:

pfox14

Reaction score
Any plastic cement will work for the bindings. I use 3M's plastic & emblem adhesive. One fret needs to be replaced with the proper matching gauge & height. Other than that, what else does it need?

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
these were throw away guitars when they were new, and they don't get any more "cost effective" to repair 40 years later.

BUT they have a certain coolness factor to them and I've refurbed many of them over the years.

So in that light..

yank the frets, plane the board, replace the binding, and you'll actually have a guitar worth playing.

the necks on these things were atrocious right outta the box. so they really kinda benefit from a good "rework"

EDIT: I also have a method of fixing the broken wood around the jack holes too.
and the fingerboard is not rosewood either, its an oil dyed maple. so if you try this yourself be prepared for your fingerboard to change colors on you.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
This may not be important, but do you know that the rosewood on those fretboards are only as thick as the fret markers? I had a marker coming up on my jupiter and couldn't believe how thin the rosewood is???

Zack

Reaction score
there are holes in the board from wear... wow

flyingdutchman

Reaction score
Yeah this thing was definitely played..Its still sitting here at home. Im waiting for a couple of things, financially, to occur and then off it goes to get all pretty again. The guitar actually plays quite nicely. Its the aesthetics that are not so nice..

Latest Threads