Need some ABR-1 help/suggestions

Chris4189

Reaction score
I’m thinking of replacing the Abr-1’s on my R8 and R9 with two older Abr-1’s that I have laying around.

Both are wired. One has a foundry mark which should date it to the early-mid 60’s I believe and the other has no foundry mark which I believe should date it to the 70’s??

Would the 60’s and 70’s ones be cast from the same zamak makeup like the ones from the 50’s

Attachments

Last edited:

Brek

Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been lead to believe, I have one like your foundry mark one, text is very sharp, impressively so. Trying to get the chrome of it to nickle plate, but cannot find any 40% hydrochloric acid in small quantities.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
try weighing them, if the weight is identical I would guess the alloy is the same ...

Chris4189

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I just want to make sure they are cast in the same alloy as the 50’s ones before I go to all the trouble of installing saddles in the one assuming the saddles in my current abr will fit.

jcsk8

Reaction score
I doubt they are exact the same, but weight and pitch (fundamental note) of them are good clues.

freddy78

Reaction score
from my experience i would go with Faber ABR-1 , the tone is not changed that much its mellow and rounder , but it sustains forever and it has improved unplugged resonance .

PRS

Reaction score
from my experience i would go with Faber ABR-1 , the tone is not changed that much its mellow and rounder , but it sustains forever and it has improved unplugged resonance .

I put a Faber AB-1 and stoptail on my R0 and the difference was profound. The guitar sounded a lot fuller.

Brek

Reaction score
I bought the Fabre abrh1 not sure what I think tbh, the plating on the saddles looks weird and I’m getting that banjo type sound stoptail bridges are notorious for on the b string.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Remember the mid 60s and 70s are going to be chrome vs the nickel they used in the 50s

Latest Threads