Need opinions on 1990 Pre-historic Les Paul

Thebigt71

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a 1990 Pre-historic Les Paul for a very good price. The person lives in another state, so I can't actually play the guitar. The guitar is in immaculate condition. Can the wonderful experts on this forum provide information on the 1990 pre-historics?

Thank you for all your help.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Can't help with that exact year, but I had a '96 prehistoric and it's the one LP that I most regret selling, out of way too many. People nitpick things like the tenon length, but it was fantastic looking, playing and sounding.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
FWIW, that's exactly what I sold mine for, to a fellow MLP member. In retrospect, it was a great deal for him.

oldflame

Reaction score
Had a bash on 9 0189 around 1991 at the old Andy's shop in Denmark Street. Must say, it's one that's stuck in my mind all these years as being a really nice sounding guitar. I also recall that it was 3500 quid which at the time was a fair amount of coin for any guitar. Wonder where it is now?

rogue3

Reaction score
to the op: i had a glimpse of a Pre-historic back in '89.A beautiful Tobacco flame top.The price,even then was beyond my reach...or to put it another way,way more than i would pay.It was stickered 3999$ .

So 2,000$?....that is a steal.

I would be looking for a headstock fix, or some other professionally repaired damage, that has brought the price down, imo....or....as others have said...inspect carefully.Watch for fakes?

If it has no major damage,and can be verified as authentic,that price sounds like a fire sale. With the usual caveats of being a nice playable instrument. It doesn't really rate as collectable.

heidkopplung

Reaction score
The Pre's are great guitars,2K is a VERY good price.
Look for small binding in the cutaway.:cheers:
Another '87 with some aftermarket parts:

Last edited:

alnico59

Reaction score
I have a '91 '59 RI and it's a crazy good player! Sounds killer too!! I do have some mods into it.

Also, 9lbs 5oz is about the average weight. Mine is 9-4. The only issue I'd look out for other than the obvious issues that were already mentioned would be if the strings are hitting the back of the bridge. These guitars are hit or miss on the neck sets. Mine had a slight issue that a maple flame mod corrected. I paid more than 2k for mine and have more into it post mods if it makes you feel any better.