Need measurement for 63-65 SG Special pickup spacing

mapleflame

Reaction score
I need the pickup measurements from the base of the fretboard to the dead center of the neck pickup and bridge pickup in a 63-65 SG special. The measurement between the center of the neck pickup and center of the bridge as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rhubarb Red

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm in the process of building an early '60s SG Special and have measured three SG Specials from that period - two '64s and a '65 - as references.

OK, from the butt end of the fingerboard binding (the fingerboard joins the body at the 22nd fret and so you have what would be the 23rd fret space PLUS the binding sticking into the body) to the center-line of the neck pickup is 1-11/16" (1.6875") on all the guitars I measured.

I double-checked the accuracy of that measurement with another calculation. The "tongue" of the pickguard that goes between the neck pickup and the fingerboard binding is 1" and the cover of the soapbar is 1 3/8" (1.375") wide. Divide the width of the cover (1.375") by 2 to get the center-line for the pole piece screws, and you get 0.6875, which is 11/16". Add the 1" for the pickguard tongue and you get 1-11/16".

Then the measurement from the neck pickup center-line to the bridge pickup center-line is 3-1/4". Again, this measurement was constant over all three guitars I measured.

Hope this helps!

mapleflame

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm in the process of building an early '60s SG Special and have measured three SG Specials from that period - two '64s and a '65 - as references.

OK, from the butt end of the fingerboard binding (the fingerboard joins the body at the 22nd fret and so you have what would be the 23rd fret space PLUS the binding sticking into the body) to the center-line of the neck pickup is 1-11/16" (1.6875") on all the guitars I measured.

I double-checked the accuracy of that measurement with another calculation. The "tongue" of the pickguard that goes between the neck pickup and the fingerboard binding is 1" and the cover of the soapbar is 1 3/8" (1.375") wide. Divide the width of the cover (1.375") by 2 to get the center-line for the pole piece screws, and you get 0.6875, which is 11/16". Add the 1" for the pickguard tongue and you get 1-11/16".

Then the measurement from the neck pickup center-line to the bridge pickup center-line is 3-1/4". Again, this measurement was constant over all three guitars I measured.

Hope this helps!

You bet it helps, thank you very much. :thumb: Gave the measurements to my luthier.

Latest Threads