Need Input from Epi LP Standard Owners

GitFiddle

Reaction score
A super tight Jack - Bad quality - Replaced it with a switchcraft and loving it now....

The frets do have little edges, but its acceptable I guess....

A couple thoughts from my past experiences.

A "too-tight" jack doesn't usually mean its bad or inferior. What I have found on some guitars, that if the spring loaded blade is lined up incorrectly in the bored out hole, it will push against the wood, when the cable is inserted and limit its travel. I had a misaligned jack once, and after inserting the cable, I could not get it back out. If the mounting nut gets loose the jack will naturally turn inside the hole and cause this problem. It all depends on the guitar and how the hole is drilled.

Sharp fret ends should not be a deal breaker. When the guitar left the factory they may have been very smooth and well ended. The cause for this is usually low humidity causing the wood in the neck/fingerboard to shrink slightly, causing the fret ends to extend beyond the edge of the wood. These can be fixed fairly easy with the right kind of file, a little TLC and patience.

Just from my experience, that is. Your mileage may vary. :thumb:

aryasridhar

Reaction score
A couple thoughts from my past experiences.

A "too-tight" jack doesn't usually mean its bad or inferior. What I have found on some guitars, that if the spring loaded blade is lined up incorrectly in the bored out hole, it will be pushing against the wood and limit its travel. I had a misaligned jack once, and after inserting the cable, I could not get it back out. If the mounting nut gets loose the jack will naturally turn inside the hole and cause this problem. It all depends on the guitar and how the hole is drilled.

Sharp fret ends should not be a deal breaker. When the guitar left the factory they may have been very smooth and well ended. The cause for this is usually low humidity causing the wood in the neck to shrink slightly, causing the fret ends to extend beyond the edge of the wood. These can be taken care pretty easily with the right kind of file and a little bit of TLC and patience.

:thumb:

I think i did not put it right here, Tight jacks are not bad - Correct, however really bad quality nut holding that thing there was definitely bad....

I also do not mean that you should not pick up one that has sharp edges, In my case I did not have a choice, the store had just one and I jumped in to get the guitar....

Thankfully it was really nice sounding so I went for it....

mechtech

Reaction score
Forget replacing parts unless they are broken.
A good set up is #1 by far. Level, crown,and polish the frets. Nut slots, neck relief, string height, and intonation. Pickup heights and screw adjustments.
Maybe pick ups later.

g8tr

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score

bobswinea

Reaction score
First piece of advice: Ignore people who look at you like you have an inferior or worthless guitar because it says 'Epiphone' on the headstock.
Oh I do :laugh2: I also tell them about my two Gibbys left hanging on the wall at home sos I can play my Epi! :lol:

bobswinea

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, it is still for sale. Surprised I have had no offers at all even though I have encouraged them. Guess I will have to offer trades as well. :thumb:
Someone will nip it at that price. Right now I am [ahem] experiencing a cash flow shortage :shock: myself.

evanstwitch

Reaction score
I think they are great guitars. I put a GFS mean-90 in the bridge position of mine, because I prefer the sound of a p-90 to a humbucker. Other than that and a setup, i haven't had to do a thing to mine, and it is one of my favorite guitars. hard to beat 'em for the price.

bobswinea

Reaction score
I think they are great guitars. I put a GFS mean-90 in the bridge position of mine, because I prefer the sound of a p-90 to a humbucker. Other than that and a setup, i haven't had to do a thing to mine, and it is one of my favorite guitars. hard to beat 'em for the price.
I agree they are good guitars and they are priced right. Maybe soon I will know for myself. Thx.

bobswinea

Reaction score
OK everybody thanks so much for your input! I have pulled the trigger on a lightly used Epi LP Standard. I will post more after it gets here. BTW- it is a honeyburst finish. :thumb: TBob

Wekkuli

Reaction score
Havent played my std for months now,since my father loaned it,it´s sure great base to create what you want,if that´s what you are after.. :)

Latest Threads