Need inlays for a 50s goldtop

60burst

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading on this site about someone making inlays for 50s Les Pauls so I did a couple of searches but came up empty. Does anyone know where I can buy an accurate reproduction inlay for a 50s goldtop?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for the best inlays for a goldtop era guitar, then Buzzy is the best person to connect with. Although he doesn't have anything listed right now, here's his Ebay store. You can probably contact him through Ebay.

b u z z y | eBay

Frank

60burst

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Those inlays were exactly what I was looking for.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK, going to seem a right cork-sniffer now...

Those inlays are correct for very late 50s. But if you look at the inlays in earlier guitars the way the markings line up with the cut of the inlays is kind of different. It's kind of rare to see the "lined up" fish scales before 1959 - and very common to see it during 1959. Earlier guitars have much more random alignment.

But other than that, yes, they look great.

Liam

mapleflame

Reaction score

Those inlays are correct for very late 50s. But if you look at the inlays in earlier guitars the way the markings line up with the cut of the inlays is kind of different. It's kind of rare to see the "lined up" fish scales before 1959 - and very common to see it during 1959. Earlier guitars have much more random alignment.

Liam

You are correct kind sir. They are completely different. :thumb:

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually the cheap "ZAMM" inlays that were around for a while seemed more accurate to early-mid 50's as far as the pattern, although a little more busy. But they are cheap so you could buy a few sets and pick and choose.

fletch

thefishingline

Reaction score
I neded inlays for a burst conversion almost done..I went out and spent the $$ on the real deal...not cheap, but correct..

dretot

Reaction score
Actually the cheap "ZAMM" inlays that were around for a while seemed more accurate to early-mid 50's as far as the pattern, although a little more busy. But they are cheap so you could buy a few sets and pick and choose.

I agree, check these in the link... scroll down. Buy a few sets and pick the best.

Results for Inlays and Side Dots

dre

60burst

Reaction score
So, not the yellow set but the pearloid ones? This is for a 55 goldtop.

Fishingline, what do you mean the "real deal"?

Thanks for pointing that out, Liam. I guess i have never really looked very closely at the inlays on my Les Pauls. This particular guitar has been used hard over the years and long ago I replaced the fingerboard because of previous bad fret jobs. But for a long time now I have noticed when the guitar is next to my other Les Pauls the inlays don't look right so I would like to fix that when I next get it refretted.

mapleflame

Reaction score

Thanks for pointing that out, Liam. I guess i have never really looked very closely at the inlays on my Les Pauls. This particular guitar has been used hard over the years and long ago I replaced the fingerboard because of previous bad fret jobs. But for a long time now I have noticed when the guitar is next to my other Les Pauls the inlays don't look right so I would like to fix that when I next get it refretted.

If you replaced the fingerboard just go with the one's that were listed above, but make sure to buy the one's that are vintage cut. Not the Zamm, they look more like late 60's inlays.

dretot

Reaction score

60burst,
I'm not too keen on the yellow, but the pattern looks better on that particular set, especially the 4th inlay from the top (imo).

Hopefully Mapleflame will give his opinion on the correct inlays, he's has more experience with '50's lp's than I do.

More pics here:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/60997-no-bs-inlay-thread.html

dre

oops, I'm a bit tardy..... Listen to Mapleflame, he knows what's up.

thefishingline

Reaction score
I bought 50's inlays from a person I know that came from a 50's fingerboard that was beat...the inlays were perfect...and vintage and aged naturally and played...

some of these newer "correct" inlays MAY be cut from the same material that was used in the 50's..but it is not material from the 50's that was found by Indiana Jones...it is the same material but it is made today and cut today......

if you know anything about me or read my posts or the beatings I take for my opinions...I am PRURIST when it comes to conversions. I want the right pieces from the right period made in that period..no retops, not historic parts and I don't want a guitar made two, 5 or 10 years ago with 50 year old wood..

I want 50 year old wood put together 50 years ago!!:applause::applause::thumb:

60burst

Reaction score
Since I am installing them in a guitar that already has inlays won't I have to match the shape to the inlay I am buying or are they all the same size or does every one have to be cut to fit?

thefishingline

Reaction score
you buy a set of inlays and they should fit in their respective "hole"

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Word of warning about the yellow ones, they are not yellow all the way through. I tried a set and when I milled the tops off they looked just like the pearloid ones.

fletch

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Since I am installing them in a guitar that already has inlays won't I have to match the shape to the inlay I am buying or are they all the same size or does every one have to be cut to fit?

Contact Kim at Historic Makeovers/ Retrospec, he may help you out finding the right pattern for a 50's goltop, he will give you an honest and accurate answer.:thumb:

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Word of warning about the yellow ones, they are not yellow all the way through. I tried a set and when I milled the tops off they looked just like the pearloid ones.

fletch

Very true. :thumb:

Will need to re aged them after, that's why i suggest to do a pre radius on them before gluing the to the board, will be a lot easier to aged before they are set.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Liam

This is exactly why I recommended Buzzy, since he's the only one I know who sells the earlier stuff, which I believe he takes from vintage accordions.

Frank

60burst

Reaction score
There has been some good information on this thread. I appreciate all of the posts.

pinefd,

I went to your buzzy link but never got where I needed to go so I quickly gave up. I will go back and try and find him another way. i also just saw the thread where you acquired your burst. Very nice guitar. It looked great in the pics. Congrats...

Do you guys think that somewhere is a vintage accordian forum where they are all sitting around bitching about the original parts being harvested off of old accordians? Sorry, I couldn't resist....

Latest Threads