Need ideas for a battery powered amp for guitar and mic

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My 30th reunion is this July and we'll be spending the afternoon in a pavilion (no electricity) by the river in a park before the dinner and evening activities. Several of us want to have a mini jam session/sing-a-long at the park and so I'm looking at some battery powered amp options. Some will be playing acoustics (camp fire style) but a few of the songs they want to do would work better if a couple of us were on electrics. I'd like to have something with at least a guitar and a mic input. And maybe even a second unit for another guitar. Some of the options I've looked at are listed below. But I don't have any experience with these specific models so your input would be much appreciated. Also, keep in mind that budget is a factor so I'm most interested in what will get the job done half way decent but without spending a lot of money.

Roland Cube series

Roland Mobile Cube Battery-Powered Stereo Guitar Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp Black | Musician's Friend

Crate TX15 (the bigger Limo model is too much $$$ and overkill I think)

Crate TX15 Taxi Battery-Powered Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Pyle portable PA unit

Pyle PWMA230 200W VHF Wireless Battery Powered PA System Rechargeable | eBay

Vox Mini Amp

Vox MINI3 3W Battery-Powered Guitar Combo Amp Black | Musician's Friend

Fender Mustang Mini Amp

Fender Mustang Mini 7W 1x6.5 Battery-Powered Guitar Combo Amp | GuitarCenter

and I've heard bad things about the Line 6 Micro Spider so I'm thinking I should avoid it

Line 6 Micro Spider 6W 1x6.5 Guitar Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Kidcotton

Reaction score
Hi, I posted a response to the same question a while ago, so I'll cut and past but add a bit also:

I have the Vox mini3. Sounds good for what it is. Some settings make it sound 'big' and others make it sound like it is - small and boxy. Great for noodling on the back porch or when very low volume is needs. When I said it sounds big on some settings, this changes when you play it next to a decent size amp and then it sounds small and boxy again (like it is). This is to be expected, it's only a 5 inch speaker isn't it? Sounds good for a 5 inch speaker though imo. The UK80 (JCM800?) amp sim actually is pretty good. A bit muddy with my bb pro's, but actually pretty good imo. The boutique clean amp setting sounds really nice with the gain dimed (still clean though).

Cons: The effects are very limited. You can't set delay time with the knob, only the tap tempo and you can't really get the delay wet signal to the same volume as the dry signal (almost, not quite). The on board tuner is not very good. It only does E... I don't mind this, but I thought it would do all the strings when I bought it. The reverb and trem aren't too bad, limited in parameters but actually sound pretty good. The compression isn't too bad and improves most of the settings if used lightly. flang isn't very good. Overall the effects aren't that good.

It has a mic in, and I haven't really tried it out with a good mic. I've put a cheap sony mic in it and tried to play along with electric guitar. It was a bit hard to get the levels right between the mic and the guitar input, but not too bad.

Batteries last a long time for me, and it takes an mp3 line in. It's good for quick plug in and practice. It can get pretty loud for it's size. It is really quite small.

Here it is in it's home (to show size)

IMG_1908.jpg

Good luck and have fun!!
Steve.

dspelman

Reaction score
At the top end, take a look at the Carvin Stagemate S400D ( Carvin.com : S400D STAGEMATE WITH DIGITAL EFFECTS ) which features 100W of power, FX, lots of plugzintas and 3 hours of power on a single battery (extra batteries available) with output from a 200W 10" speaker:

s400d.jpg

I have a Pignose Hog 20 (you can find them for around $119 from Musician's Fiend), which has 20W of power from a 6.5" speaker. There's also the Hog 30 (8" speaker, I think, 30W of power). Both have small rechargeable lead-acid batteries that will last up to 8 hours on a charge.

DV016_Jpg_Large_489055.jpg

Pignose_Hog_20_C.jpg

If you're looking for FX to plug into almost anything (and battery powered as well), look carefully at the Korg Pandora Mini or the PX5D.

Pandora_mini_BK_SlantPR-e42baebab3139e9a74a8b07a1622f2eb.jpg
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_150486_R.jpg

The two Pignoses get a LOT of use in Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.

Meathead872

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Vox mini3 is great for the small jam sessions,surprising little amp even for clean tone witch I like.

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I ended up snagging the little guy last week at Guitar Center. It was the floor demo model and the last one they had. Got a good deal on it and it sounds decent enough for my needs for the outdoor jam at the reunion, etc. It will also be handy to take to the middle school where I help with the guitar class during the school year. And I can use it out by the pool, etc. :)

Fender%20Mustang%20Mini%20Amp.jpg

It doesn't have a mic input but the more I thought about it, the less I think that is a must-have for the jam/sing-a-long at my upcoming reunion.

Latest Threads